Clear all

Wish Me Luck

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Its going to be my first "band" rehearsal or more of a jam session really but we are going to put together the song Paranoid ( really simple song ) with 3 guitars and a drum set ( lack of bass X_X ) me and my new friend I met today ( we are almost equal in skill level o.o, but a difference in styles) are going to share the solo ( we'll work it out ) and then after that we are going to jam a little, but this is important, so wish me luck :D.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Excellent news. :)

Getting together with other people and working things out is one of the very best parts of a musical education. Good fun too.

Have a blast! :note1: :note2: :note1:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

What he said! Seriously man, relax and have fun, I'm sure you'll do great. And soon we'll be hearing about your playing out exploits in the News section (pics are obligatory...unless youtube links are provided in place of...people need to remember this).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Good luck! Report back with details but (most important) HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Good luck! Enjoy yourself!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

congrats and good luck! Playing in a band is a blast.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good luck! Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good luck & have fun! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Have fun and enjoy yourself! 8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good luck!

If you need any help with Paranoid, it's in the Easy Songs section - I tabbed the chords out and some kind soul (Greybeard, I think?) added the solo.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ahhhhh I am extremely exhausted from all the playing i've been doing but its been awesome!

Ok so what is it called when u meet someone and u fall in musical love ( o.o ?? ) cause that person is just at the same skill level as you but he's the same sex as you so its not like falling in love but being like whoa how awesome ?

Ok well that happenede to me, I changed school recently and I'm going to summer school ( cause this school is advanced so I end up taking pre calculus next year and I have to take Algebra II in the summer, now ). So I met these guys who were playing guitar and there was this guy that was playing great, and I tought hey this guy ( the techniques he used and stuff ) are the same stuff I am using right now.

So I played with this guy and it was awesome we played for a while, for like 2 hours, and he told me he wanted to be in the band but couldn't make it today cause it was so short notice, but next time definetly.

Hehe when I got home I started just practicing and practicing ( cause of course one gets so motivated when one plays with some1 at the same level as one's self). So by this morning I was tired, not really my fingertips or hands but my entire arm was just sore, cause I had played for like 4 hours without noticing.

But whatever once my friends got here it was awesome, first the drummer got here and I helped him set up and we just played a while, of course without a bass or other guitar to fill in the parts I couldn't solo, it was more just like "getting to know" him, not literally cause he's a long time friend, but to get in sync.

So then the other guitar got here and it took him a little while to get it cause he's kinda new and he only knows power chords idk why but whatever, thats why I chose Paranoid, its a power chord song. Well the last thing we did was play Paranoid, we just spent most of our times doing chord progressions and soloing, my guitar friend didn't want to try soloing, I encouraged him though and even showed him a simple scale he could play around but he didn't want to, he let me solo all I wanted ( :D ).

After that we got tired of going through random chord progressions so decided to do something more organized that was divided into something like intro chorus verse chorus verse bridge outro. And so we set out to doing a song, you know it was fun, my guitar friend accidentaly made some kinda F#m with the 6th string on the 3rd fret that actually sounded pretty cool so we used it and then did something else for the "chorus" xD and then spent our time trying to play it which we did by the end and it sounded pretty cool to me, :P.

Then we got on to playing stuff we played Paranoid, I know half the solo so I did half the solo and then improvised xD. We played a Blink 182 song cause the drummer is a big fan, Damnit, I think it was, and then we played Daytripper, the Beatle's song, nice song, fun to play.

And then when we stopped we looked at the clock and it was 5 PM X_X. And we had started at 12 PM more or less, so when we stopped we were all pretty tired, xD my arms hurt but it was so much fun, "lead"ing with a backing track is fun, but it is so much more fun when u actually have to put boundaries on yourself because you are playing with other people and u can't just go on a 5 minute solo, you have to land on where you are supposed to land and u can't start alone u have to start with everyone and everyone has to be in sync, that was kinda hard, at first, but by the end it felt awesome cause I looked at the drummer and we both had to go on the exact same time in one part ( of a song I'm not sure which one ) and we did most of the times that we played, and that felt so cool.

Hehe so I was pretty tired by the end of it all, and they left and what not... 2 hours later my music teacher came for my class, xD I was beat, but as soon as he said he was teaching me the "tapping" technique I got my energy back and started to learn how to tap :D.

The concept is pretty simple I just have to practice it and implement it :D

Well, you asked for details, and that was my day, and I have to say, playing in a group is great!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

"Luck" isn't a good word to use. I like the French idiom, "Bon Chance". Yep, if ya get a bit introspective, you'll have a "good chance". Indeed, you make your own luck.

Some advice from an old guy:

Play facing the drummer so he can see your pick hand. Co-ordinate his foot with the pick strokes. Have the bass dude bridge the music with the tempo the same way. Have fun!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you had a fantastic evening. Good for you. I'm envious.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is great to hear of 'musical matches' such as yours.
they are transforming, inspiring, and time stopping.
huge growth starts to happen.

I have been blessed with a jam mate form some thirty years.
it is sick how well we can link up with just a look.
it is also hilarious how awful we can get. like turning on a dime.
"wha' happened?". but those in sync moments are amazing.
so cool for you.
more advice?: be patient with the hard and annoying times.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2