Notifications
Clear all

Buzz after string change

32 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If that groundhog in Pennsylvania was right, maybe in 2-3 weeks we won't need all this drying heat!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

That D*** oversized rat! :evil:

He seen his shadow on a day that was about 50 degrees, seen his shadow and the second ice age hit about a week later! True, it could be worse, where I live the bad weather really isn't too bad, but I just spent about 30 hours in the last day or so digging my town out!

I was about to ask you Ricochet to send me one of your greasy bullets and do a little small game hunting in Punxy! :twisted: :wink: It's been awhile since I've had groundhog! :twisted: :twisted:

Ah well, he looks a little old and tough anyways...........

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My son killed one last summer ..... must have not been Phil ... or Pete or whatever his name is. :lol: 6 more weeks of winter? Heh! That would be the earliest spring on record here. It snows here on Easter. We aren't even safe in May up here. It has happened. :shock: But you don't want to hear me whine. I can always move can't I. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've just finished casting, gas checking, sizing and lubing a batch of bullets from a Lyman #429244HP mould. That's a classic .44 caliber design with a big flat nose with a deep hollow point in it, and I cast 'em out of soft scrap lead that's darn near pure. I've got a soft spot in my heart for that one, since my Uncle Don used to cast 'em for his .44 Magnum and gave me samples of the unfired and mushroomed states of this bullet when I was a little kid. First cast bullets I ever saw. I thought they were immensely cool, and I still do. Lot of work to make 'em, but with a stiff load in a .44 Magnum it would soften any heart. Even a groundhog's.

Here's a scene from my back deck this afternoon:

:D

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Cool Ric!

We used to call them "Flying Ashtrays"! Still have some for my 1911A1, but they don't cycle very well, I think it's time for a new recoil spring, I think it has about 8000 rounds on it. I liked them because I could run a LOT of them through and they don't wear out the barrel like a FMJ. A local company around here still loads them up cheap but I don't shoot as much as I used to, or like to. A shame, I have a range about one mile away, but it fell on the wayside. By the way, my wife shoots better than me, she used to be Shore Patrol in the Navy. She is used to the 9mm Baretta and doesn't like the bigger 45ACP.

Still thinkin bout groundhog stew......... :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

BTW,

Cool bird, a new use for old gardening tools! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm quite fond of the old M1911 myself. Only thing I don't like about it is trying to find the brass. I've spent hours hunting for the last case so as not to bust up a box of 50.

Hey, are you familiar with this site?

http://gunsprings.com/

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Yep,

Are you familiar with this site, they're my local source for reasonable supplies.

mastercast.net

Check out the links, there is a link to a bullet casting association that looks like it's right up your alley!

If you need brass, let me know, I might have a really good local source!

I've used Wolff springs before and my local smith can get them for me.

Better link,

http://www.mastercast.net/index.html

still a computer idiot! :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I bought some bullets from Mastercast years ago. I don't ever buy cast bullets anymore, though, I cast my own.

Here's the best place to hang out with experienced bullet casters and learn how it works: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

There's a serious GAS risk from the Cast Boolits board: The guys on there are constantly coming up with ideas for nice custom bullet mould designs, or old favorites in 6-cavity Lee moulds that vastly speed up the production rate. Lee will make custom designs for a setup charge that I think is waived if you order 25 or more, at a price that's somewhat above their standard designs but still quite affordable. So they put together group buys. I've got special moulds all over the place! It's kind of like if GN members got together with a guitar maker and got custom guitars made in batches, but it's a lot more affordable. Nevertheless, they add up in a hurry!

ReplyQuote
(@big-ed)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I tried the humidifier and was still getting the same buzz. I took her to one of the local shops listed under Gibson/Epi service and they have told me I need the saddle was too low and need some fret repairs. They have contacted Gibson to see it they will cover under warranty service.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!" --Anonymous

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

A saddle shim or replacement shouldn't be too expensive, probably won't be covered under warranty, they will say that someone sanded it down too low.

The fret issue may be a different matter though, if a fret is lifting or if the guitar's frets were not leveled correctly from the get go, then this should be covered under warranty. Don't take no for an answer on this one, and good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@big-ed)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Racetruck, I always hope for the best. No one ever touched the guitar. It did come with a shim under the saddle. I will see what Gibson has to say.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!" --Anonymous

ReplyQuote
(@big-ed)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well the shop (I got from Gibson's web site as Gibson/Epi warranty shop) that looked at my Epi said the guitar needs fret work. The groove in bridge where the saddle sits is not deep enough and is letting the saddle lean toward the neck. They also said the neck should be reset (dove-tail joint, if glued, can it be done?) to make the guitar right.
This sound like the old joke where the punch line is to save the radiator cap and drive a new car under it.
Gibson recommended me to send the guitar back to them to be checked out. I did the forty mile round trip back the guitar shop (closest to me on Gibson's list) picked up the guitar, boxed it and mailed it to Gibson, $25 with insurance.
Well see what happens. I can not imagine them doing these repairs to a $550 guitar but you never know. Once again, I'll keep hoping for the best.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That one shouldn't have gotten out, unless perhaps as a second.

ReplyQuote
(@big-ed)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I received a new guitar from Gibson/Epiphone and it plays and looks very good. Other than the process taking a while. They do stand behind the product and made it right.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3