Skip to content
Fretboard: Aloe Ver...

Notifications
Clear all

Fretboard: Aloe Vera, Wynns, Southern Comfort or Beez Wax?

31 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ha, that got you looking didn't it. :wink:

Seriously though. I've read a few things about folks who use some different kinds of cleaners and lubricants before, during and after changing strings to keep their fretboard nice and clean - I think some even use it over the strings as well.

I know you can buy all sorts of different types of stuff - it's almost like when you used to buy shoes - the sales assistant always tried to sell you some kind of creme and a selection of shoe horns... :roll:

Now I've got a bit of a collection of guitars, I thought I might try a bit of preventative maintenance.

I'll throw it open to the board.

Thanks.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's what Ernie Ball recommends for their Music Man guitars.

Q: How do I clean and maintain my Music Man neck?
A: To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1. Some players have found that using a toothbrush for cleaning is very effective. Since the neck is finished only with the gunstock oil/wax blend, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for just 5 minutes, then it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels. Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores or directly. Their web address is www.birchwoodcasey.com Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with the gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil. Again, for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner are excellent for frequent cleaning and maintenance as they are very effective and string removal is not necessary. If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! On an unfinished neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Put the smokes out! Here comes Nick and naphtha!

:shock: :mrgreen: :wink:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

For the lube part, I've used olive oil for years. Just wipe it back off so there's a very thin film left.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

For the lube part, I've used olive oil for years. Just wipe it back off so there's a very thin film left.
I thought you said you use mineral oil . . .

Will the real Ricochet please stand up?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It took a couple of years but Ricochet converted me to olive oil. I like to eat it on salad and cook with it so I figured why not. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

As a complete aside: my grandmother cured our earaches with warm castor oil in the ear.

It felt so gross I think I forcibly supressed any ear aches from that point on :lol:

As for guitars, I shall read all this more closely, as I am a bit slack with polishing my guitars.

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

It took a couple of years but Ricochet converted me to olive oil. I like to eat it on salad and cook with it so I figured why not. :lol:

+1 Olive oil works great on guitars & food! :P

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

:lol:

Great - not only do I know what to use to keep my fretboard in top condition, I can also prepare a delightful hot and cold meals and cure aural problems at the same time.

Thank you all...

Rock on! Slip off!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I pick up "fretboard oil" at the guitar shop. One bottle ran me $1.59 about five years ago and it's still nearly full.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I pick up "fretboard oil" at the guitar shop. One bottle ran me $1.59 about five years ago and it's still nearly full.

You're not making enough salads and stir fry's :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

DO NOT USE FURNITURE WAX. ;-)

My best guitar came second hand in a shop that had waxed it. Took me weeks to rub it out of the fretboard.

Saludos,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I thought you said you use mineral oil . . .

Will the real Ricochet please stand up?

KR2
I said you can use mineral oil. I don't.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I have been back & forth on this one myself. I just recently watched a youtube series of over 2 hrs. where a luthier replaced frets & went over a strat setup. He used Birchwood Casey "Tru-Oil" for gunstocks on the rosewood fretboard. He definantly looked like he know what he was doing throughout the rest of the videos, so he pretty much has me sold.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3