14 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The patient is a Seagull S6+Folk.

I diagnosed it for a while before starting. What I found:

7 major breaks, 2 minor.
1 tricky break by the bridge wing on the lower bout.
1 broken brace that had completely detached.
1 minor brace that had fallen out.
1 major cross brace that had become detached on the lower bout by the soundhole.

But the good news is that the breaks all seemed to align pretty well and no pieces of the top were in sawdust or detached.

It was tricky though because you couldn't really do one crack at a time. The pressure on the top would cause it to snap.

So I did 5 breaks the first time, then the remaining ones when I reglued the three braces.

Okay so here is before in Primeta's original picture:

In the next two pics I've aligned the sides and cracks a bit to try to figure out the best way to put it back together.

Looking at the lower bout. Counting in from the edge you can see where the 3rd and 4th cracks run really close together near the wing of the bridge. That's the tricky one. The brace you can see in the soundhole is the one that came loose. It isn't attached to the top where you see it all the way up.

Looking at the upper bout. Notice no brace in the soundhole unlike the other side. That's because you can see it sitting on top. The broken piece of that brace you can see in the first picture.

Clamps out the wazoo, 5 cracks worth. Bungee cord to pull the sides together. The water spots are just that, I wiped up the glue squeeze out with a damp cloth.

Now the cracks have been clamped overnight and I'm gluing the braces back on. This picture is actually of gluing the loose brace. I had on the deep clamps for the brace that had completely come out.

The braces are on now and it seems solid as a rock. No unusual give in the top. I just need to put on the little patches underneath for support and I'll string it up and see how it plays. If it sounds good I'll do the cleanup on top. You can still see the cracks if you tilt the guitar into the light. I don't think I'll bother sanding and refinishing though.

I ended up working on it for two nights and two mornings for about 3 hours total. Maybe not the most cost effective way to get a guitar, but it was nice to save it from the campfire so it can be played around the campfire. Good Mojo I think.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Definately good mojo Nick! 8) Looks like the patient is coming around nicely. :wink: Nice save! :D Good luck finishing up.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Un-be-liev-able! :shock: I would have thought this patient would be pronounced DOA.

Let us know how it sounds, etc. It'll probably sound extra warm after all this TLC. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nick, I'm bringing my guitars to you for their next setup!

Amazing work so far.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just strung it with D'addario EJ-16 lights and it's got nice action and beautiful tone with nary a creak from the top.

finished full frontal

The cracks on the upper side have practically disappeared. The rest of them are there, but you have to tilt the guitar to see them.

It plays sweetly just like a Seagull should.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Fantastic, Nick!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Nick,

Very nice repair :) What type of adhesive did you use :?:

BS

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the kind words. Setups? Nah. 3-D puzzles? Sure.

Titebond II.

It's a good strong adhesive with a tiny bit of flex for humidity changes.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Wow, that came out great. Really nice job! After seeing the before pictures, all I wanted to do was sit and hug my S6 glosstop.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

That was the best thing I've seen all year. By now, I dont have to tell you that that was a great job. *thumbs up*.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

Years ago down east i threw a guitar in the trash,I never even thought about repairing the splits,nice work,at 15 I guess I just didn't realize it was fixeible.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

excellent save there!

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Knew the poor Seagull would be in better hands with Nick, I'm glad it's working again.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

dude you have serious mad skill

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Kudos Nick, i'd like to send some pics of my jap epi 12 string later for a prognosis

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2