Clear all

string oxidation

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering, does oxidation affect unwound strings the same way it does wound ones? It's just that the E-A-D-G strings on my guitars always seem to go dark brown over time but the B & E do not change in appearance. Do unwound strings have a greater lifetime? If so that would be rather useful since those are the ones that snap most often, and you could keep old used sets as backups.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I would of thought, that yes normal unwound strings have a longer life than wound ones for this simple reason, wound strings catch and retain moisture particals in the air and sweat from your fingers in the coils, this moisture reacting with air creating oxidation, unwound strings have a smoother surface area therefore allowing moisture to evaporate, although unwound strings do oxidize they are not as prone as wound ones.

Does that make sense? - I'm no expert but thats what I would think and do think, but I could be wrong you could have the Fe +3/+2 touch - lol.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't know why your higher strings are still shiny. In my experience, they usually get black as the wound strings get less shiny. Your strings may be made of different materials than mine though. As the corrode, they get less bright from all the gunk on them, they aren't immune. You can still save them though. As long as it isn't broken, it can do in a pinch. Wiping your strings with a cloth after playing is also a good idea, because that can prevent a lot of oxidation.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Wound strings do tend to go first. They have a lot more surface area, so there's more metal exposed to the air.

In addition, the content of the winding has a fair bit of copper in it -- that's what turns green/black. The plain strings have little or no copper, and the oxidation of steel (rust) seems to be slower than that of copper, at least in my guitar cases.

Finally, there's the polishing effect of your fingers... a microscopic bit of rust on a steel string might actually get rubbed smooth by your fingertips... the wound strings have crevices for the nasty spots to grow.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Talking of which I have just witnessed the most heinous thing any guitar player could see *shudder*, a man playing guitar and eating fried chicken at the same time, I mean come on the whole thing just screams bacteria, in a couple of days imagine what will be festering away in his wound strings, isn't there a law against biohazards?

Please please for the sake of your stings and little children dont eat and play, and wash your hands before and after food or guitar playing.

I am going to the shop to find 0000 wire wool and lighter fluid, I feel dirty!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

that's five zeros 00000

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LOL - thanx Nick.

Now hold my beer and watch this *wooo hooo*

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I tend to see the darkening of my higher strings first. Either way I try not to leave my strings on for more than 3 weeks. Even in that short period I see plenty of places my fingers have been. Changed my strings Tuesday evening and I can already see stuff. My hands sweat when I play so it kills them.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

And, just in case you all are wondering, I don't eat and play. If I do I wash my hands before I play. Still, I go outside and smoke a cig and not wash my hand so that's not good. But the thought of greasy fingers on a guitar disgusts me. Just nasty. I'm scared for life. :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Chicken and rib grease is the secret of the ancient blues masters.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LOL - It will be no secret when your Guitar mutates into a chicken from hell, bites you and you turn into a mass of bio-hazardous puss!

How can you play Guitar if it's got greese all over the strings? I thought it was called a Blues Shuffle not Blues Slip'n'Slide :twisted:

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Actually, string and fretboard lubricants are rather popular. They make bends and slides smoother, and they can make strings last longer before they go dull from oxidation. As I've posted before (I don't think in this thread, but I haven't scrolled back to look), my personal favorite is olive oil. I don't leave a big greasy glob of it, though, after it soaks for a while I wipe it off so there's only a trace film left. There are a number of commercial products sold in guitar stores expressly for this purpose. I'm sure they all work about as well, and doubt that any of them work better.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, I'm sticking with good old-fashioned sweat. My hands sweat a bit while I play so that should work. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I spray finger ease all over both sides of the neck and my hands. right after I install new strings, then wait till its dry and rock n roll. then when ever I feel the need I add alittle more. it works off fast the way I play.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@24frets)
Eminent Member

What about chocolate on your fingers while you're playing? That's pretty nasty too.

Stupidity is wit for the simple-I think I made that up

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2