Tone/Volume Knob Static

32 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Whenever I turn my tone/volume knob I get static unless I'm actively touching a string, tuner knob, pickup screw, etc....I'm guessing this is a grounding issue?

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

What type of guitar? Is there a pickguard. Are the controls inside a plastic pickguard? Any work done on the guitar lately?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's a brand new Schecter Omen 6. theres no pickguard....o yea and Ive tried multiple amps as well as different cables.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Whenever I turn my tone/volume knob I get static unless I'm actively touching a string, tuner knob, pickup screw, etc....I'm guessing this is a grounding issue?

Okay, that nails it. We'll need everyone's head together here but I can start? I feel strongly that is a grounding issue, as you've guessed. In this case, the static you're hearing is not from the mechanical workings of the controls or potentiometers, but from the metal itself. The pots or the selector switch, which is part of the circuit, and also the jack - somewhere in that maze, are not grounded. You are the shunt or connection to the ground when you touch a pickup screw or or the string = ground to bridge, via wiring, or tuner = ground through string to bridge, or a pickup screw - there's something partially allright with the ground there. I think that the pots aren't grounded, or fully wired into the ground ciruit.

It's a new guitar, and should go back. If mail order, that's awkward. If a store, that's better. Or you can open the control cavity and post pics. Still, nobody should have to work on a new guitar, it should be replaced.

You can also try just touching a pickup screw and let us know if that clicks or makes static or hum. Palm the bridge and see if that does it. Or try in a different household/location.

I feel that the jack was wired in reverse, or there is just no connection at all between the control circuit and bridge.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Plenty of new guitars have static, most manufacturers save money by not properly shielding and grounding the electronic.

That said: does an identical model (at the store) have static? If not, does it happen through more than one amp, particularly using the amps on different electrical circuits? If so that strongly points to the guitar. If not, it might be an amp issue, a power issue, or a cord issue. But most likely it's the amp.

If you paid under a grand for the guitar, and it happens on other models go have it shielded. Else take it to where you bought it and ask for an exchange (not a repair, be firm on this - if others do not have this issue then you have a defect and you don't want a repaired instrument, you want a new one that works correctly from the manufacturer. But first make sure that it is within the guitar circuits by using different chords, amps and power sources.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I get static if i touch a pickup screw, string,etc WITH A METAL OBJECT. I dont know if this is normal though. Also, the guitar doesnt hum or exhibit any other unfavorable behavoir.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I get static if i touch a pickup screw, string,etc WITH A METAL OBJECT. I dont know if this is normal though. Also, the guitar doesnt hum or exhibit any other unfavorable behavoir.

That's probably amplification of the tap/touch and amplification of friction, it doesn't take much.

Hopefully, you can try the guitar in another place, with different wiring, or the building's circuitry.

I know, you've tried different amps and different cords, but perhaps a change of venue may alter it?

That's just troubleshooting, would that be opposite to bringing another guitar into your place and plugging in?

Edit: what I also do is attach a small jumper with alligator clips from pot shaft to bridge, if you have one, or make one with a fine wire; strip it at the ends if coated, and wrap it around. That's diagnostic, and saves taking the guitar apart.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ive tried different cables and amps at my cousins house, friends house, and also in different rooms in my house with every electronic device cut off including my cell phone....I dont really want to take it back as I really like THIS guitar and the problem seems like a simple soldering fix. thanks for your help though

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

ive tried different cables and amps at my cousins house, friends house, and also in different rooms in my house with every electronic device cut off including my cell phone....I dont really want to take it back as I really like THIS guitar and the problem seems like a simple soldering fix. thanks for your help though

No problem, we're not done yet, and I'm still here for now; others will be around again later.

So, if you're not against soldering, take off the rear cover with 3 screws and look for a wire that 'disappears' into a body channel, headed in the direction of the bridge. I wonder if it could be undone, not attached to the bridge, or not there at all.

It may be like the blue wire seen here, poking into a thin channel, except it may hook up to the jack, or to either pot, not the pickup shield as in this case.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

alright. ill check that when i get back.

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So a weird thing happened today... I played in 3 different places with 3 different amps and I didn't get any static until late this night. Must be the weather/ electronic interference?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

So a weird thing happened today... I played in 3 different places with 3 different amps and I didn't get any static until late this night. Must be the weather/ electronic interference?

That's good. Yes, there can be all kinds of electronic interference.

Ballasts from fluorescent lamps, and simple dimmer switches (rheostats) are often cited.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Update- the static returned and I couldn't take it anymore.took it back today and did things right. I bought a strat.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Update- the static returned and I couldn't take it anymore.took it back today and did things right. I bought a strat.

Congratulations. Happy Boxing Day too! Maybe you got a deal? 8)

I feel WITH you, not empathy, but ecstasy? I bought a Blonde Ash Tele. :lol:

But hey, you suffered, did what you could - but some things are worth the effort.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@scalar-king)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

indeed. congrats on your tele....now I have to figure out how to set it up...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3