Clear all

A little Soul Music

26 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, so what the heck. I'm not having too bad a day and felt like having some fun. Here's a fun tune to play. Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry, arranged for single guitar. But wait! There's more. This fat whiteboy decided he's gonna let loose a bit and belt out some lyrics.

It's awful. It was fun and my head hurts too much now to do any more takes. There are a few mistakes and I am really a horrid singer. BUT, I had the guts to post and entertain. :P :P

"Entertain", obviously, used loosely. You get the drift.

Enjoy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=833547 Song is called No No Cry to avoid the copyright nazis.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/08/2008 8:17 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am entertained. in a good way. don't you love all the takes it takes?
ya mon. it not too reggae. I don't mind. nice job!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 11/08/2008 10:15 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, it does take a bunch of takes. I never knew, and I'm still barely skimming the top off of recording. Long ways to go. I did get the mix a wee bit better this time around. You and Ignar, I think, were talking about mic position in a thread a couple of months ago, so I found the optimum combination of position and amp volume. The next thing I'll try will be multi-tracking. <gulp> At least that way I'll be able to guitar straight in and only mic the vocals.

Then again, maybe not. It was just a single guitar song with one guy singing. Hardly gets more true than what I posted. More takes.......and get used to recording so I don't tense up.

Thanks for listening and the comments guys!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/08/2008 11:56 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds good, I love that song! You've got a good tone on the acoustic.

side note: I got to see Stephen Marley, one of the many children of Bob, play that song live at Bonnaroo. Incredible.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/08/2008 12:23 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

DUDE! You sang! I loved it!
Much better than listening to just the rhythm. I was singing along with you! :D I love that song.
Not so easy singing and playing eh??? This was awsome man. Keep em coming!

Edit: I'm still listening...you have to get a bunch of back up singers from Jamaica to make the song complete. :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/08/2008 1:16 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool stuff, Roy. 8)
Bringing your own soul to it is what it's all about.
:)

Don

Posted : 12/08/2008 1:20 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! It is a fun tune to play. One of my all time favorites. Well, the live version on Legend, specifically. The title I used was inspired by my son who called it "No No Cry" when he was under 2 years old. He also sang along to a Nirvana song called "Rape Me" once at about that age. That got turned off quick before mama heard it.

Dogbite mentioned in a thread just recently about how not totally tieing lyrics to chords is somewhat, oh what was the word he used, liberating? Sure, there's the 4 chords in the song and not a whole lot to it, but Marley really belted out the vocals at will for this song. It really de-emphasized the instruments on the live track he did on the Legend CD. That was the missing link for me and this song. I have a longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg way to go, but it's a start.

I actually got into a really good groove Friday and nailed this a lot better than today, but that was downstairs on a tube amp with no-one in ear shot and really let loose. Did a really good Tangerine later on too. One of those good days.....

Music is fun.

Roy

Posted : 12/08/2008 2:04 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ire rparker. its true about the headroom the lyrics get when the rhythm is set apart. Marley sings it so soulful.
the emotion comes out off the beat. and such. ya . it is liberating as a player. I love playing rhythm. it drives the song.
the lead player can then play one note or fifty dozen. it all works because that rhythm is going.
same true with the singer. with the song driven by rhythm you then sing the words. the words are the soul of the song.
a whole different thing is happening then. :note2:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 12/08/2008 2:32 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Randy, great description of that. That's inspired me some more now. I did that song a bit ago called Sing Me back Home that's also on the SoundClick page. I didn't add vocals to the recording, but I couldn't feel them (or sing 'em worth a hoot). I can feel them now. I was just playing it now, but couldn't do a whole lot as the house is sleeping. What I did, I liked. Woke the dog up <insert long story here> woke mama up. I'm gonna have to work on this some more and put out a version with vocals.

Darn it. Every time I start to mess with playing some lead, I get distracted by new rhythm stuff. MUST.......FOCUS......

Also working on The Nearness Of You at about the same speed. Long way off on that one. Between that one and The Girl From Ipanema, I'm learning about 15 new chords. Life used to be so simple. :lol:

Roy

Posted : 12/08/2008 3:55 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Ya mon...Bob would be proud 8) Good Job!!

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 12/08/2008 4:05 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Edit: I'm still listening...you have to get a bunch of back up singers from Jamaica to make the song complete. :lol:

Add in some ganja, then the song will be complete!

Posted : 12/08/2008 12:02 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Jeff, one of the BEST times I ever had was on my honeymoon in Jamaica. We rented a motorcycle and went into the countryside. Although the poverty was horrific, the country was beautiful. Anyways, we stopped off near these little shacks were the locals had carvings and hand made items. We hung out with the guy that lived there and his friends came over after a bit. Well, the music started, we all started dancing and then...I saw the biggest..um...cigarrette, I've ever seen in my life. We danced and laughed for hours. It was awesome!

So ya mon. REspect. We need the ganja for this song.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/08/2008 12:46 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Afterwards, we can chow down on some of my very famous (and worlds greatest) Jamaican Jerk chicken.

:note2:
And then royboy, would make jerk chicken
of which he share with youuuuu (bg singers kick in) YOUUUUUUU!
:note2:

and then we all get neked. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy

Posted : 12/08/2008 12:51 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Isn't it funny how all of these stories end that way?!!

Posted : 12/08/2008 1:08 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

The chicken and ganja sound good, not too sure on the gettin' nekkid part :D

Posted : 12/08/2008 1:18 pm
Page 1 / 2