Clear all

The Rain Song

21 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've been trying to get this song down for awhile, and decided to record myself today. I did one take - mistakes and all. :oops: I shortened up a few spots, as the original is almost 8 minutes long. I think this song was one of Jimmy Page's finest moments, and I love listening to it & playing it. Let me know what you think.

The Rain Song Cover

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/12/2006 10:49 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is so COOL Dan! I hadnt ever heard the song before but that sounds really cool.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 27/12/2006 11:28 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Dan, that was beautiful. could you give us the setup info for that?

#4491....

Posted : 28/12/2006 12:04 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Very nice Dan

Very well played mate

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 28/12/2006 1:24 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That is very pretty, Dan. Well done!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 28/12/2006 3:11 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :D

As far as setup info.... well, I used the Epi AJ-1 that I won on Jason's GN Auction a couple of months ago. I slapped on a set of GHS Vintage Bronze strings. I only have a cheap pc mic to record with, and it wasn't picking up the acoustic very well. I have this little 100w 4 channel PA that my old band used to use for practice sessions, so I set up a boom stand & vocal mic in front of the guitar, and put the pc mic in front of the PA speaker. :oops: I was able to add alittle reverb & EQ from the PA. I boosted the sound level in Audacity, and added some more EQ & I think I used the noise removal also. That's about it. Seems like alot of work just to record an acoustic guitar piece doesn't it?! :roll: :lol:

Thanks for listening,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/12/2006 3:32 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

HEY ...i really like this dan....is it a hard one :?: love to have a play around with this to, great stuff :D ..smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 28/12/2006 7:31 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Nice job. Just remember to keep in mind the song structure. Where the verses/chous come in. When the bridge comes in. It doesn't matter much when you're by yourself but when your jamming and someone is singing, it can really mess everybody up. I think the tuning is D G C G C D. Alternately you could tune your electric to E A D A D E. For the sake of learning the song at least.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 28/12/2006 7:31 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

That is so COOL Dan! I hadnt ever heard the song before but that sounds really cool.

Jim

Dude! You need to study up on your Zeppelin. Houses of the Holy-track 2. Should be required listening in the school of rock.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 28/12/2006 7:51 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Jim

Dude! You need to study up on your Zeppelin. Houses of the Holy-track 2. Should be required listening in the school of rock.

I'm not sure I attend that school. If I do its on a as-needed seminar type class basis. :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 28/12/2006 10:29 am
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Dan, that sounds kick arse! Love that song!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 28/12/2006 12:54 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Props to you, Dan! Probably my favorite Led Zep song - I enjoyed listening to your rendition very much. Now all it needs is Plant's vocals! 8)

Posted : 28/12/2006 2:23 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Smoke - No, it's not too hard to play. Just a bunch of parts, some repeating with slight variations, to remember & put together. As Hue mentioned, it's in a different tuning, and most of the fingerings are pretty easy, and just a few fingerings will need some extended practice. I'll try to put together an easy tab of it for you, (and anyone else who's interested).

Hue - thanks for the suggestions.

Jim - glad I could turn you on to this song during our seminar - Jimmy Page 101. 8)

Jason - thanks for providing the acoustic! It's not a Taylor or anything, but it's not a bad little guitar & affordable. :wink:

CFB - Hey, if you want to give the vox a shot be my guest! :D

Dan

Posted : 28/12/2006 2:45 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey Smoke, have fun! :wink:

Everyone else can enjoy it too! 8)

The Rain Song Tab

Dan

Posted : 31/12/2006 5:18 am
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Wow, that was really well done. A couple of times I had to make sure it wasn't the actual recording of the Zeppelin song because it sounded exactly like the record.

Steve-0

Posted : 31/12/2006 9:35 pm
Page 1 / 2