Skip to content
Tomorrow is Such a ...

Notifications
Clear all

Tomorrow is Such a Long Time (better version plz crit)

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

http://www.myspace.com/deepfreeze123 new and improved. Harmonica solo is freakin awsome!

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 15/06/2006 1:55 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Nice job, you stayed nice and steady through out the song, sounded good and good voice

Posted : 15/06/2006 4:59 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thanks man, this is the first song ive ever tried to sing in Bb, had to dig pretty deep haha. You should download the nickel creek version it is probably the most beautiful thing ive ever heard.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 15/06/2006 5:21 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I never heard the song. I should listen to more dylan I tend to know just his more popular stuff. One song by him I really liked was the one about rubin hurricaine carter

Posted : 15/06/2006 6:05 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Bob Dylan write's my world haha. He is so awsome though, I remeber the first time I heard this song I was amazed at how good it was and I thought "wow I have a whole new respect for nickel creek this is like one of the best written songs ever, this is so good bob dylan could have wrote it" Then I went home and saw that Bob Dylan really did write it. Seriously man best song writer ever though. He wrote tamborine man, man of constant sorrow (like from "Oh brother where art thou"), blowin in the wind, like a rolling stone, so many famous songs that everyone knows but most dont know he wrote.

-Chris Thile

Posted : 15/06/2006 2:37 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

hey the new version is much better im really happy with the harmonica(save one note haha :evil:) let me know what you all think

-Chris Thile

Posted : 16/06/2006 7:20 am
(@surly)
Trusted Member

yea, i agree, sounds really clean. The strumming sounds very Dylan.

I wish i could get my recordings sounding like that.
what hardware/software do you use?

Thats what I like about Dylan stuff is that it looks so simple on paper, but you really have to work on the little things to make it sound good.

Posted : 16/06/2006 11:01 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Ya dylan songs are very deceptive. That song has some unusual timing, and the melody doesnt sound right unless you add in the pauses in the right places. It took like a whole day for me to get that rhythm entirely correct haha.

I used a mxl 990 condenser mic for the vocals and the harmonica. I used a mxl 991 for the guitar. (you can get both mics for 100$ very good deal) I have a behrenger mixer, dont know the product number offhand (i can tell you if you want) but it was also a great deal. Its 8 channel (4 mono and 4 stereo) w/ 4 mic preamps and it was only 179$. And I connected everything to my computer with a AV->mini input cable using audacity (free) as software.

Overall (with mic stands and everything else youd ever need) you could get it all for like 450$ on musicians friend. Thats very cheap compared to the other decent options, I thought I was gonna have to spend a lot more. I think its the best cheapest way to get good recording stuff. I can tell you if you have a decent sound card it will sound great.

-Chris Thile

Posted : 17/06/2006 12:09 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Yep, the harmonica was alot better. Try another dylan song too he's got alot of great ones :wink: ....I should get a better mike myself mine I think is more for talking

Posted : 17/06/2006 5:06 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Haha I know a bunch, he is very fun to sing.

Ya man i used a webcam for like 2 years it totally sucked. I just got the recording equipment and i couldnt imagine being on my webcam haha its like a bad dream (one that i have like 30 videos of haha)

-Chris Thile

Posted : 18/06/2006 10:59 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

this worked for me nice one 8)

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 19/06/2006 6:36 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm hijacking this to post my own version of this song... i did this a while ago and forgot i had it on my computer. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=551993
i'm listening to yours right now. ok, sounds pretty cool. you have a familiar sounding voice. kinda reminds me of someone, although i can't think of who. waiting for the harmonica solo... didn't hear anything wrong with it, maybe a little awkward, but i din't hear any cringe notes.

btw, man of constant sorrow wasn't written by dylan. i think hank williams or jimi rodgers probably did a version of it.

Posted : 03/08/2006 10:15 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

what do you mean awkward, those are the notes of the melody, with the exeption of the first 10 seconds or so which sounds like the violin solo in the nickel creek version, i just dont understand what you mean? Those are the same notes im singing.

I know he at least recorded it, I assumed he wrote it cause most of his covers were very early.

And I just listened to your version, you need to do something about your sound mix bevore you record, the guitar is pretty much inaudible. Even if you only have one mic you can find a good spot so you can hear the guitar and your voice, or try multitracking it. And you might consider changing keys so you can sing with some more volume, I changed it to C but I also like to sing it in Bb. Are you using the same accents that dylan did?, ive never heard the original version and ive always been curious how he sang it.

-Chris Thile

Posted : 03/08/2006 2:20 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'm not a huge Dylan fan, not of his performance but I LOVE his writing, but I thought that was freakin awsome. Very clean and professional. You've inspired me to touch up some of my songs now. I tend to slack on the details.

Very nice.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 03/08/2006 2:45 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

man of constant sorrow was on his first album, which was all covers except "song to woody".

my recording equipment sucks, and this was one of the first ones i tried recording... on later ones i actually put the mic inside the body of the guitar and it still comes out kind of quiet... maybe i'll record it again sometime in the future, but not today.

you really should try to listen to the bob dylan version. it's "tomorrow is a long time" btw. there's no "such" in the original version. it's available on greatest hits volume 2.

listening to your song again... the harmonica sounds like a french accordian or harmonium or something. it's an interesting tone, but it sounds like it's dragging the beat or something.

listening to the nickel creek version now. that's some good stuff. i was expecting a nickelback butchering. :)

Posted : 03/08/2006 4:08 pm
Page 1 / 2