What site is the safest bet?

32 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I have dmusic and have heard of others having an issue with listening to music on dmusic. I use to have an issue with soundclick so, I never joined (well, never finished the joining process because of my own issues with their contract/agreement policy). Tons of people with "originals" use it and don't seem to have a problem with their terms so, I might take the plunge. Plus, my Virus/spyware program seemed to resolve it's own problem a little while back and now I have no problem listen to others music on SC.

And yes, I know you have to have something good in the first place in order to worry about the policy stuff.

So, for me and everyone else, which one is the safest bet, Soundclick or Dmusic?

Thanks

Oh, for those who say, your own server space.......I agree but, that's not an option right now.

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:42 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

check out acidplanet

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:56 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I don't think I've heard of that one yet, I'll check that one out, thanks.

Do they use a pop-up for said track (like SC), direct link to preferenced media player (like DM) or does it play right on their page (like myspace)?

I have myspace too, but some people have a problem with that too! Plus, you can only have 4 tracks up at one time.

I know you can't please everyone, but you can try. 8)

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:02 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What part of the soundclick agreement worries you?

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:19 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I lke Soundclick, plenty of safeguards in place, plus you can actually read lyrics while lstening to music. (if people remember to cut and paste!)....quite a few of us use Soundclick, it is, as they say in Liverpool (homeplace of the Beatles in case anyone forgot.....) "dead sound" - meaning pretty cool......and the poster owns the music he/she posts there....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:25 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

They must have changed their terms and conditions.........
Modification of Terms and Conditions: From time to time SoundClick may modify these Terms and Conditions in its sole discretion. When such modification is made, SoundClick will post a revised version of these Terms and Conditions on the Website. Modifications will be effective when they are posted. SoundClick is not required to provide you with notification that any such modification has been made. It is your responsibility to review these Terms and Conditions from time to time to be aware of any such modifications. Each time you log on to the Website, you will be deemed to have accepted any such modifications.

It also clearly states that is does not own the music.
Copyright and Trademark Infringement Policy and Notification Procedure: SoundClick does not own the musical compositions, sound recordings, art or other written or visual images (collectively, the "Content") posted by third parties to the Website. All Content is posted by an individual, group or company (collectively, the "Artist") who has represented and warranted to SoundClick that, among other things, neither the Content nor the names, trademarks and service marks under which Content is promoted (collectively, the "Name") infringes any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights, rights of publicity or privacy, or moral rights (see the section titled 'Representations and Warranties' of the current SoundClick Music Submission Agreement at http://www.soundclick.com/docs/legal.cfm ).

I remember there being an issue about that before. I don't think it was worded like it is now. Before, it left me thinking I was handing over the copyrights by summiting a song to their site (something to that effect). Does anyone else remember that?

Plus, they used to have a ton of problems with their server. Looks like they straightened a few things out. 8)

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:53 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I take that back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. License Grant. You hereby grant to us, and by the act of delivering Standard Program Material to us grant to us, a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display and digitally perform the Standard Program Material in whole or in part (including the right to create compilations which include your songs); (b) create and use samples of the Standard Program Material solely for the purpose of demonstrating or promoting our or your products or services; (c) use any trademarks, service marks or trade names incorporated in the Standard Program Material in connection with your material; and (d) use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the Standard Program Material only in connection with your material.

That's why...........

So basically, they don't own it but, have all the rights to it. :?

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:59 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's nothing, and both parties can cancel it at any time. If they didn't had this you could technically sue them for broadcasting your stuff, as an example. See General Terms #2.

Check out these DMusic terms:
Submissions

By posting or submitting content to this site, you grant DMusic and its affiliates and licensees the right to use, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, distribute, have distributed, and promote the content in any form, anywhere and for any purpose; and warrant and represent that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content and that public posting and use of your content by DMusic will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party.

If you send us creative suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, or other information (collectively, the "Submissions"), the Submissions shall be deemed, and shall remain, the property of DMusic. None of the Submissions shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of DMusic, and DMusic shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of any Submissions. Without limitation of the foregoing, DMusic shall exclusively own all now known or hereafter existing rights to the Submissions of every kind and nature throughout the universe and shall be entitled to unrestricted use of the Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the provider of the Submissions.

Note the terms do not explicitly say that if you cancel your account or remove your songs all rights DMusic had are terminated as well.

Posted : 22/11/2006 3:12 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

only thing that botherd me back along was songs i done as cover versions, so i removed them...i was not sure if i was getting hung up in copyrights issue :? so i only do my own stuff now or very old songs....perhaps someone has a answer on this :?: as far as pop ups :twisted: i have a blocker which covers all sites so thats not a problem. my view on sites for which you would like the listener to reply is one which they can hear without downloading, its the same as the internet if cant get the page quickly you leg it...well i do :wink: nice topic this mike glad you brought it into gn

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 22/11/2006 7:01 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've been thinking about taking some funky video visuals (the swirly, psychedelic kind of thing that all these winamp plugins do while you're listening to music), adding a URL over the top (or lyrics maybe?), mixing the finished MP3 and then using YouTube or similar. Might be worth a go?

(This is of course in the dim and distant future, when I eventually get around to recording and sharing something :wink:)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 22/11/2006 8:53 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Mike, I'm far from a legal expert but I think any host site will have similar provisions. This gives them the basic right to host your music. also with soundclick you can take your song off the site any time you wan't ...try that with Dmusic. :P

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 22/11/2006 12:16 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

thats unlike me to pick the right site ken :D ..smoke .oh have you done the banjo bit for john [celt] yet :?:

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:45 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What Ken said. I actually was on Dmusic initially but moved to Soundclick because of it. I don't think there is any real practical difference but I think you're legally a tad better off at SoundClick.

Posted : 22/11/2006 3:17 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I never saw that at DMusic. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, Arjen.

Ken, I can delete any track at any time with DMusic. They even make a special button for it. :P

But, I don't want to stray too far from the original question.

What site don't you have a problem with? Listening-wise......

Posted : 22/11/2006 3:51 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I used to have problems with DMusic but it seems much more stable and fast recently.
Ken, I can delete any track at any time with DMusic. They even make a special button for it.

Yes, but that means the song gets wiped from your page, they still have all the rights to it.

Posted : 22/11/2006 3:56 pm
Page 1 / 3