Skip to content
Final word on Digit...

Notifications
Clear all

Final word on Digital Recorders: which for me?

38 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.3 K Views
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Today I've spent about two hours trying to research digital home recording devices only to now say “I quit.  I need help!”  It just seems like a natural progression that musicians, at some point, want to record themselves for one purpose or another.  I would LOVE to see some thought-out post on the subject of home recording devices.  At this point I'm specifically thinking about and wanting to learn about stand-alone digital recorders.  Some have hard drives, some memory sticks.

I'm hoping we could get some people to contribute their knowledge of different possible scenarios like:

Budget:
$300 or less
$301-500
$501-1,000
$1,000 or greater

Reason to record:
Self-enjoyment--I like the sound of my voice/guitar
Self-improvement--Help myself identify things I need to do better via playback
Record live—see how bad we sucked last night (or rocked, rather)
Upcoming CD—we want to put out a cd and need some good recorder

Number of tracks needed:

Type of environment in which recorder will be used:
1  Just me recording one track at a time.
2  Me and my best bud jammin' together
4  Drummer, bass, lead and rhythm all at one time
5  The whole neighborhood is over and we'll just see how it goes

Amount of recording:
10 minutes would be fine
half hour
1 hour
8 hours
60 hours

So say one scenario “I'm on $301-500 budget, want to do some self-improvement, jam with only one other guy, need 8 total tracks and use only two at one time, want an hour of recording.”  Maybe some would know a particular recorder that fits that bill.  Or I guess suggestions could be in a different format.  I'm aware that from the above possibilities there are over a hundred combinations but you know that a guy who wants to spend less than $300 is not getting one with 60 hours of recording time.

More of a literal review on a recorder could also work.  Say someone has experience with a particular recorder just chime in and say “I have a DonkeyKong 45J. “blah blah blah” and telling us some good points, bad points, and what type of situations this particular recorder should fit.  It just seems that a resource like that should be around to help steer people toward recorders suited for their needs.  I know it sounds a lot like “what kind of guitar should I buy,” but this is something I'm curious about and I know others out there are too.  So please contribute whatever you can!   ???

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@devikta)
Eminent Member

I'm there with you corbind so I understand your frustration on the subject.  I spent a few hours last night trying to concoct some funky wiring from my effects processor to my PC trying to record some stuff I was playing.  I'm a perfectionist so just using a MIC doesn't work for me.  

I'd love to hear some more on the subject because I'll be in the market soon as well.

Schecter C1 Plus
Bridge - EMG 81
Neck - EMG 89 Single

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Do you want to include the PC also or just stand alone?

These would be good to hear about:

Zoom PS02
Fostex MR-8
Tascam Portastudio 5
Boss BR-532

I can review the Fostex for you.  I don't have the others.

ReplyQuote
(@devikta)
Eminent Member

Personally... I want everything through the PC.  It's just easier and storage space is getting dirt cheap these days.

Schecter C1 Plus
Bridge - EMG 81
Neck - EMG 89 Single

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, thru the PC and Stand alone digital would be at least two different threads.  I'm wanting to find more info on this subject myself.  I have been researching this for months and I think I have come to the conclusion that I will go with a stand alone digital.  I am just not sure which one to go with.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The zoom ps-02 has been replaced by the ps-04 which I'm thinking of getting this weekend.  If I do I'll let you know what I think.  
My reasons for choosing it:  
*About the size of a walkman and very portable.  I want to use it for practicing and don't want to be tied to the computer.
•Built-in drum machine.  Again, for practice, to improve my rhythm.
•Very good reviews of ps-02 at harmony-central.
•Costs $200.  Less than all the others.
My qualms:
•Limited to 128 MB card (at an extra cost, comes with a 32 MB card) (so only about 60 minutes/4 tracks =15 minutes recording time between computer dumps... so don't go too far from that computer.)
•Slightly less than CD quality at 20 bit/31.25 Hz.  But better than a cassette, or so I read.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Software

Under $60

• Both Emagic and Cakewalk have budget  software for the dabbler. They are Magix Music Studio and Music Creator Respectively.
    Both are limited in functionality but will allow you to record at reasonable quality. Both have some effects as well as soft synths and drum machines. There are benefits to both. Magix leans toward the Hip Hop/ Soul/ Pop writer. It offers some excellent looping and time stretching capabilities a la Abletons Live. Cakewalk leans more toward the home brewer who want's everything to seem at least aux naturale. Cakewalks Music Creator has unlimited tracks an supports Sound Fonts as well it comes with Dream station. A reasonable software synth.

Over $100.00

• Cubasis VST. This Program is more for the Pro-sumer. Again it supports unlimited tracks. Both audio and MIDI. The only limitations are the number of effects as well as VSTi's that you are able to use at one time. Other than that this program really has amazing capabilities.
  • Cakewalk Home(or guitar, or Piano) Studio. Another High quality lower end Software There are few limitations to this software as compared to Cakewalks pro line that I know of. I'm not sure however, if they will continue to produce it as Sonar is the new platform for Cakewalk. I'm sure they will develop a new one if they haven't already.

Over $300

Now this is the good stuff. This is where all of a sudden there is a selection  of quality software.

• Cakewalk Sonar. A windows standard for many allthough I don't particularly like it. No reason other than familiarity. It is capable of unlimited tracks effects and softsynths depending on the power of your comp.  Both VST's and DX plugins are supported although  I believe you need to purchase a wrapper for the VST plugins.
  • Nuendo. My software of choice. Looks, feels, performs like a hands on mixing console. Supports VST and DX plugins no wrapper needed. decent sounding compressor/ limiter/ gate/ eq built in.

• Ableton Live. Again a very capable software. It's highlights being its timestretching/ beatslicing abilities. Also supports both VST and DX plugins.
  • Emagic Logic Audio. this was the staple when I was at the studio. For many Pro Studios it still is. VST support. Mac only!
  • Pro Tools. An Industry Standard. Although there are software only versions of this. The only way to truly take advantage of it is through their hardware. The hardware takes a  the hit instead of your cpu. With the number of tracks and plugins that this supports your computers gonna need all the help it can get.
  • Mark Of The Unicorns Digital Performer. Another Mac only software. Like pro tools this software is best used along with the hardware which I might add is top rate and supports most other DAWs.(digital audio workstations. ie: the other software.'cept the windows only Cakewalk).

• https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
    (@hueseph)
    Noble Member

Hardware

Under $200.00

• guessing that you are going to use your standard sound card. You can purchase a small 5 channel mixer from Behringer. Not fancy in any way but it will do what you need it to.

Soundblaster Audigy XS Platinum. This would be the next logical step up. You gain the benefit of having a dedicated instrument input as well as a mic input and MIDI port. The retail box also comes with a limited version of  Cubasis.(you can not save. Only export to wav. )

M-Audio  Audiophyle 2496 pro quality Analogue to digital converters as well as decent headroom (signal response), something that the soundblaster cards need some help with. Which means you won't be complaining that you can't get your signal hot enough.

Over $200.00

All of these come with software some are demo versions others limited versions.

Hammerfall have a line of pci interfaces which range in price from $200.00 and up. These tend toward the prosumer quality cards though I've never used one myself. Requires an interface such as a mixer.

M-audio delta 44/66/1010 omnistudio. M-Audio is a name that is respected for their quality interfaces for the prosumer. I own a Delta 44 (4 inputs 4 out) and it sounds amazingly clean. The Delta series are a PCI card and Breakout box or cable combination. (up to 8 inputs and outputs at one time.).These also require a mixer or preamp or combination thereof.

The Omnistudio is an expansion to the Delta series. It is a breakout box which houses two preamps and direct inputs.

ProTools Digi 001  and Digi 002 firewire audio interface.  Both very capable units. Both come with ProTools LE. These are self contained. The Digi 002 functions as a mixer as well as input device. The Digi 002 also functions as a controller for your DAW with a programable interface. The digi 001 is largely just an input device.

Anything beyond this gets into the thousands of dollars.

• This is really a very limited summary.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
    (@hueseph)
    Noble Member

Oops. You said Stand Alone didn't you. Sorry for taking up space.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
    (@corbind)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

Hey Hue, I did mention stand alone devices but PC recording solutions can be listed here, too, unless it get too big and needs to be split into a post only for PC and anther only for PC recording.  Still, "taking up space" is what I want everyone to do.  I thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.  It will get used.

Honestly, I know zero about either application or even if PC recording is better, easier, (on and on) than stand alone units.  In posting I'd encourage readers to also interject which media they think is better.  We all have reasons for purchasing one type or another.

So keep the posts coming!   ;D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
    (@97reb)
    Noble Member

I am not saying stand alone is better than computer, but at this point, I feel a stand alone would be a cheaper way to go for the money and quality of sound.  I would need a whole new computer and that ain't cheap, then you have the software, and a souncard or whatever connection you feel is best.  I'm still researching, so, I agree, anybody who has an input, bring it on!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
    (@97reb)
    Noble Member

I think my initial step into recording some stuff will be the Fostex MR8.  I thought about it months ago and then changed my mind.  Now, I think it is the cheapest and yet best way to go.  At a later point in time, I will see what is best suited to me.  Right now, money is tight, but the fact that recording must be done is important.

ReplyQuote
    (@nicktorres)
    Illustrious Member

Fostex MR8 is a good cheap digital recorder.  I would seriously consider the Zoom PS-04 if I was buying again.  Lots of features.

Acid Pro 4 is an excellent home recording studio with loads of features.  Sony just bought this software.

Magix Music studio is a good product with some powerful features, but the interface is a little wacky.  It doesn't quite comply with the usual windows standards.  I still use it on occasion.

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro can also do just about everything you want a studio to do.

ReplyQuote
    (@corbind)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

I see those two models are $300 and $200 respectively.  They are great for the price but definitely limit your recording time unless you record in lower quality.  But talk about portability.  That makes it nice when you bring them over to a buddy's house so you can record together.

ReplyQuote
    (@Anonymous)

I bought a Zoom PS-04 2 weeks ago and hope to give everyone a thorough assessment after I spend some more time with it.  Meanwhile, since this is the topic of discussion, here are some preliminary thoughts:

Pro:
    •It's a great and very portable practice and recording device.  
    •The sound is great despite the slight compression below CD quality.
    •It is easy to use the quick start instructions and access the preset effects and amp modelling patches, the preprogrammed rhythm tracks, and record a few tracks.

Con:
    • It is very small (the size of a walkman) yet very powerful.  This means there are layers of menus required to access the deeper features.  To me, these are not always very intuitive and I use the manual A LOT.  I am getting the hang of it, but the Fostex MR8 seems more intuitive for anyone who has ever used a multi-track cassette deck.
    •For whatever reason, most of the effects sound great from the single coils of my Tele (given what each effect is intended for; I'm no metal head, but the big distortions seem ok, for digital, of course some are just silly), but I have had to search harder and dither more to get good sounds from my humbucking SG.  The effects aren't bad, though, better than my Crate amp.
    •I had some ground loop hum problems that I have since resolved.  My house wiring seems to be the biggest culprit.
    •It is so portable, I like to use it with batteries, but it is not terribly compatible with rechargable batteries.  You need to learn how long a set of batteries lasts and not be actively working on an important project when the batteries die, or you risk loosing the project or parts of it, even you patch edits.
    •Time will tell how sturdy it is.  It is very light and plastic (of course).  I wish things didn't fall on the floor so easily when you have wires running all over the place.  My one real complaint, so far, is that the sliders are small, sensitive and a bit cheesey.  They were difficult for my hands at first, but I'm getting used to them, too, so they might not be such an issue, if they last.  The sliders on the MR8 deliver a much more satisfying feel.
    •They don't yet have a file format converter to turn the songs into wav files on the Mac.  I'm getting tired of waiting and trying to port a java program to the Mac, but I am no programmer (that's why I got the Mac in the first place.)

I went into a lot more detail with the cons, so I don't want you to think I have a real problem with this box; I'm loving it!  But like everything that tries to do so much, it's got issues.  I will want a real workstation eventually, but this will still work to grab ideas on the fly and for practice, an application for which it excels.  
        If you want more of an authentic multitracking experience, you should give the Fostex or Boss boxes a closer look.  For my needs, while I might just outgrow a small workstation and want something with a hard drive, with this I can still lay down tracks out on the porch then later dump them into a full powered multitracker or my computer.

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 3