For Mike (as promised)...

16 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A shot of my studio!

Okay... So it's a work in progress. I'll update soon...

~Maxx

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thanks, can't wait to see it when it's done!

Do you think you have enough cables? :lol:

8)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Damn.. I need some Alfredo Sauce for all that Spaghetti... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I thought it was my mess....I mean ..studio for a moment :lol: Nice Tape deck :!: I have a jones for analog recording sometimes myself. I'm a old TASCAM 424 kind of guy, I still use my 424 as a mixer and I still drag out the cassette tape on occasion :D 8) 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Do you think you have enough cables?
We'll find out soon enough!
darn.. I need some Alfredo Sauce for all that Spaghetti...
How about some soldering flux? It's the best I can do!
I thought it was my mess....I mean ..studio for a moment Nice Tape deck I have a jones for analog recording sometimes myself. I'm a old TASCAM 424 kind of guy, I still use my 424 as a mixer and I still drag out the cassette tape on occasion --the dog
I picked that R2R unit up at a thrift store for like $20 a couple of years ago. It's an Akia 1800-ss with an 8 track deck built into the side. I actually haven't played with it much. It needs recalibrated and cleaned (which I have no idea how to do), and I'd like to learn about syncronizing it with my digital equipment so I can use it to warm up vocal and sequenced drum tracks a bit or even play around with some of the old-school analog tape effects. It's pretty much a toy that I haven't grown into just yet. I'd love one of those Tascam analog porta-studios though! Sometimes you just want to plug in and record without worrying about all the extra stuff - and there's definately something to be said for a hybrid studio. I started out with early digital technology, and have only recently gained an apreciation for the warmth of analog.

So here's an updated picture from after I finally got everything moved. It looks like I'm getting ready for a yard sale!

I'll updated soon!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Maxx, this is my TASCAM 424 mk3. I don't think they are making them anymore, but you can pick one up on ebay for about $100. It has a nice mixer section with a great mid section, I run it into the M-AUDIO firewire, is a pretty good setup. The only drawback is it doesn't have phantom power, but you can always get a $40 preamp. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the pic! When I was a teenager (in the late `80s) I had a CD player made by TEAC (Tascams parent company). In an era of early CD technology when most players were extremely picky about playing CDRs, that thing took every disc I threw at it. It was built like a tank, and I never had a single problem with it. I gave it to my brother years ago, and it's still sitting in his office running like the day it was made. So I knew before I even started shopping for mixers that Tascam was the way to go. I ended up buying a TMD-1000 brand new. It's the best thing I've ever spent money on. They've been discontinued for quite a few years now, but mine has integrated well with both my studio and the live environments I've been in over the years, so I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon. You'll see soon enough that I don't believe in getting rid of things just because they're old, or not top-of-the-line (that's probably why I have to use so many cables!)

I actually looked at an MKII on E-Bay a couple of years ago, and almost had myself convinced to buy it. The only thing that held me back is that fact that the mixer section is entirely analog. I'd like to invest in something that converts the signal to digital as soon as it enters the mixer, and then converts it back to analog just before the cassette recorder section, and also has a digital output direct from the mixer. Something like that would integrate better with both analog and digital studios, and could also be used faithfully on its own. I made the mistake once of not shopping carefully when I bought my HD recorder. The salesperson told me that it had digital I/O, but didn't mention that it was ADAT optical. So I got stuck with a digital HD recorder that couldn't communicate digitally with my mixer or my computer without a conversion box (which last I knew were still a bit pricey).

I'll quit jabbering now. Sorry about the rant. Thanx for sharing!

~Maxx

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I've been lookin' into the Tascam FW-1804 (@ $500). One of the reasons is because you can direct individual channels into individual tracks. That would make for a great "live" interface.

They make (or just stopped?) a console version as well. Not the same model number but, everything is the same for the same price.

So many things I'd LIKE to get. So little money! :cry:

What kind of bass is that, Maxx?

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The bass is another fixer-upper (I've got a few of those!) The headstock says "Mann" on it - which I've never heard of before. Needs a new neck and pickups. Hopefully I'll get around to that one of these days!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I made a slight change in my studio (don't know why I didn't do it in the beginning). I'll have to update that thread sometime soon.

Have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

After a short bout with some much-needed home improvment projects I've finally accomplished a bit with my studio room today (that's what I call home improvement!)...

Main workspace. You can see roughly where my monitors will be by the pads.

Got my cables all grouped and ready to plug in. Someday this closet will be a crude vocal booth. But not today :roll: ...

And another pasta dish for Dagwood!

More to come!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I can only imagine the stuff you have/had with all those wires! :shock:

It's starting to come together. 8) I was wondering how you were making out.

I'm anxious to see the vocal booth when you're done.

Have a good one, bud!

Mike

Oh yeah, I see you gave me a little glimpse of the keys. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm anxious to see the vocal booth when you're done.

I've got some serious research to do on that yet. I've barely begun to think about it, and it's already giving me headaches! I'll definately create a thread for it though. "MacGyvers guide to setting up a vocal booth with a closet, a Swiss Army knife, and 6,000 miles of audio cable"! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hey, how ya makin' out?

I came across this thread over on Cakewalk's forum and thought of you. Some pictures and ideas that might help you along.

Hope all is well,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Mike. Thanx for the link! I've done a crapload of reading on the subject (and I still don't know squat!). The "closet vocal booth" seems to be a hotly debated issue! I've decided that, in the end, I'm going to be better off just tracking vocals in the main room. The trailer house I live in now has the thinnest walls under the sun, and I don't think I'll have any luck getting it to sound any better than a cardboard box in that closet no matter what I do. Some time in the near future my fiance' is going to stitch me up some nice thick curtains that I plan to hang in two layers (a sort of double-baffle set-up) along the walls of my mixing area. I'm thinking that that corner might be the best place to track vocals, and I can treat the rest of the room as needed. We'll see how it goes!

Everything else is set to go for the most part. I got side-tracked sequencing some drum tracks (something for an independant Jim Steinman tribute CD - very exciting for me as I'm a huge fan!), so I neglected to take updated photos right away. My fiance' also took the camera with her to visit her family for two weeks, but is coming home tonight - so I'll update soon!

Thanx for the info! All the best...

~Maxx

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2