Clear all

Mixing....the light bulb moment

19 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't quite know how to explain it, but I think I might be getting the hang of mixing/mastering. It's a never ending process I know, but with these new monitors, thanks might be looking up.

So I figured I'd get some feedback if possible. I re-recorded A Bikini & Sunglasses, and tried to get to a "CD Level" and tried to match the original with some effects. The links are the original and the mastered:

Original File:
http://www.box.net/shared/9hxi8iqnio

Mastered File:
http://www.box.net/shared/ptgb9l72xf

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Joe, I d/l'd the mp3s and I'm listening on computer, out to decent Altec Lansing speakers and M Audio phones.

Sorry, I really don't care for the sound. It's really 'heightened'. The bass and treble seem light years apart from each other and there isn't much in the mid range to smooth things out. The overtones from the various string strikes don't seem to blend.
Most of all, it doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar to me. It's like an acoust-o-electric that's been run through some highly processed patch.

Maybe take what you did from the original file to this and divide by 2? I think you went too far.

I'll be curious to hear the responses you get. Probably a lot depends on the listening gear and environment.
Hopefully, someone speaks the lingo better and can give you more practical suggestions.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I was listening and listening and listening, and while I was intially like "wow" I really like this...it's close to the original (the original had alot of delay and chorus), the more I got to listening I could hear over-compression, and was told on another forum that it was out of phase...so I've been deal with that, trying to figure out why the Zoom H2 is recording out of phase.

I think a mono mix might be better, and the do a faux stero sound, LOL, it is only one guitar after all.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

was told on another forum that it was out of phase...so I've been deal with that, trying to figure out why the Zoom H2 is recording out of phase.

Bingo! That was really distracting. Almost like it was going through a Leslie speaker.
I just didn't know how to explain it.
:lol:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'll post another file in couple minutes. I took it from stereo, to mono, then back to a faux stereo sound.....let me know what you think.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, this is better than the rest I think, I didn't put all the effects in there to match the original, I do like what I have....and I think this works out pretty well. I just wish I knew what was going on with the H2 to make it out of phase.

http://www.box.net/shared/bmgqu0on47

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree with BoxBoy re: the first master.
this new master is better. however, I miss the softness of the original, without master. the strings sound analog, for lack of a better description. the master has added a slight metallic edge to the strings. play around with the frequencies.
adding reverb also softens and adds realism to the sound.

the guitar playing is cool.btw.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Okay, this is better than the rest I think, I didn't put all the effects in there to match the original, I do like what I have....and I think this works out pretty well. I just wish I knew what was going on with the H2 to make it out of phase.

http://www.box.net/shared/bmgqu0on47

That sounds miles better than the first master, Joe.
Good luck with the H2 troubleshooting; hope it gets sorted out.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think I've resorted to using a phase shifter. Phasebug is a free shifter, but we'll see what happens, I don't know why it's out of phase and I can't return/exchange the item it's out of the return policy time :(

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay so here's a link using a phase shifter and some reverb/delay.

Hopefully it dosn't sound off or airy, or give you a headache if you listen. Please let me know if you get the chance! I'm so sick of this song LOL.

http://www.box.net/shared/euuqu5iajj

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Joe I have an H2 also but haven't used it much but if I understand out-of-phase the audio waves from your acoustic are hitting the two built in mics at slightly different times can't you just run one mic in the H2 instead?

Wouldn't that eliminate the out-of-phase? Why does the stereo recording do for you anyway?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No, I looked at that, I can't run just one mic. I've turned the mic a little bit and that's helped some, plus I've pushed it back some.

The phase shifter is good because I can tweak until I hear it sounding better, and see it getting narrower in the phase monitor in Sony Soundforge...but I only have a VERY rudimentary knowledge of it, so basically nothing LOL.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I guess I don't understand much of this so excuse the ignorance but it's just you and your acoustic correct? I'm having a hard time trying to understand how that signal can get out-of-phase. It seems pretty straight forward and simple.

Does the room you record in have hard walls that are reflecting the sound somehow and making it out of phase?

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No, it's a pretty large room.....this is my phase image, and this doesn't look like an x/y pattern to me, but I'm pretty ignorant about all this too.

<---he's been trying to help alot but hasn't been able to duplicate my problem

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I did find this:
What happens, sonically speaking, when our system is out of phase? Most listeners experience a constricted soundstage with a pinched center-image and reduced lateral spread. In phase, the soundstage will open-up, giving a more rounded feel to the center image, and offer a more correct presentation of depth.

To test for proper phase, choose a recording with which you are quite familiar. I prefer those with simple instrumentation rather than more complex instrumentation, thus allowing the listener to concentrate on just a few instruments or voices. Listen for the characteristics outlined above as you make the switch between connections. Choose the one that sounds more correct, to your ear.

Unfortunately, every recording is different. It is possible that the first selection you play will sound best one way, while the next piece sounds better reversed. All I can say here is that you should set the phase for a few of your favorite recordings and hope that setting will be right for most your recordings.

A "trick" devised by David Fletcher of Sumiko may help you in determining whether a particular recording is out of phase. Sit a few feet in front of one of your speakers. Listen to see if you can readily hear the other speaker. If you can, the system is in-phase with the recording. If you cannot, it is out of phase. This test relies upon a phenomenon known as the Haas Effect, and seems to be somewhat dependent on the room an type of loudspeakers employed.

I have had varying results with the "Fletcher Test." Apparently, it depends rather heavily upon the recording used. The recording must be phase coherent to begin with (which usually suggests a minimalist recording technique using only a pair of microphones). Complex multi-miked affairs are likely to give ambiguous results.

Returning a system to a properly phased orientation can result in significant improvements. Experiment with the process a bit to familiarize yourself with the effects, and you will readily be able to recognize and correct an out of phase condition.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2