7 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I ran into a cash flow problem and decided to wait a bit :D

But I just noticed a Gibson branded THD product
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/TGA-16OHM.htm
New features include an xlr out. Just wondered if anyone had seen one up close.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Joe Forrok Star is the attenuator expert. He probably knows all about that unit.

If money is a consideration, have you looked at Weber attenuators?

Weber Attenuators

I own a 50W Low Power Load Dump and am very happy with it. The attenuator, 2 cables, and shipping came in around $100 for me.

It does everything I need it to do, and it has a Line-Out as well.

Just a suggestion.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wes
As I'm now gassing over a new amp/ guitar etc, ectc... I think it will have to be the Weber. Though in that case, I may have to wait for Xmas until my uncle can bring it up, instead of getting hit for shipping twice. Bloody customs. Anything commercial over $20 Canadian is heavily taxed, and $20 Can doesn't buy anything. :evil:

Ps
I tell ya, when you're out $200 shipping and it takes the idiots six weeks to get a check back to you. And then you realize they've paid you twice for something. Augh!
Well, that, and I spent several hundred dollars for a guitar pick, but that's another story. :D

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats a real nice unit with the XLR balanced out and Line level output it will give you lots of connecting options. As with any equipment, different pieces of equipment work and sound different. Same applies to different attenuators, they sound different. As you'll find out using one will allow you to get that great tube amp sound at lower levels. Its that feel when a tube amp is driven at its saturation point or overdriven it creates a rich even-ordered harmonics to flow and the amplifier takes on a dynamic character that responds to your touch.

There really is more to it than just connecting one. You also have to factor in all the different kinds of volume controls and equalizer settings when using a standard setup. Lets take a look at the different volumes that control the signal chain. we'll factor in the Eq at another time. The first is the gain control which controls the amount of preamp distortion. The second is the master volume which controls the amount of power-tube saturation and output transformer distortion. The third is the attenuator control which controls the attenuation amount of power sent to the speakers.

Over the years I've experimented and use several combinations of attenuators, cabs, dummyloads, and amps. which has allowed me to continue on my quest to create the tone thats unique and original. Once you've spend sometime exploring the sonic possibilities you to will find a sound that will be all you which will allow your soul to run free.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I just got a weber mini mass ($75) sounds pretty good. Does take some of the high end off the sound though. I can crank my tube amps on 10 and play in the house thought....which is GREAT!!!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Any practical difference between the mini mass and the power load?

I just realized the THD is 3/4 the worth of my current amp!

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

dont know about the differences between them. The guy at weber is pretty cool, you can call him up or email and he will help you.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The Weber mini-mass, is an actual speaker voice coil, without the cone, as a load for the amp.

Power Load Dump, the signal is attenuated down a pre-determined volume,the rest of the signal is dissipated in a power resistor and reactive components.

Joe

Is it just me I don't see any (O's) missing?

ReplyQuote
(@joe-x)

Newbie here.

I've had very good luck with the Mini-Mass. Sounds best when the amp is, of course, working a decent volume. I try not to have the attenuation knob anymore than at 10 oclock (its a CCW dial). Too much attenuation can muddy things up. But the mini does a good job of maintaining transparency if you are playing gig volumes.

(Gear I'm using right now is primarily a Tele with Bill Lawrence pups, pedalboard full of too many overdrives, and a Dr.Z Rt.66 amp)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I ordered the Weber mini-mass late Wednesday night and got it an hour ago. I'll hook it up and let y'all know what I think of it. If it works well, I'll buy another for my other HRDx amp.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

After you spend some time making adjustments to your equipment you'll enjoy the possibilities of tone you can achieve.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well Corbind? Actually, I wish someone had both the Weber and THD, oh well. I wonder if I can convince my uncle to buy me one...

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, I had an impromptu jam at a party last night (just 6 hours after I got the Mini-mass). It was a decent-sized house party and the owner of the house (Tom: bass player of the second band GI4) said he'd like to try a few numbers.

We set up starting at 9pm and completed that by 9:30. I crossed my fingers and we played. I found the MM (Mini-mass) to enable me to have unusual sustain on chords and notes. That was cool. Still, I noticed it took away a bit of the treble as was expected from what I've read.

You gotta understand I generally hate treble. I'm a rhythm player. I set up my SG with treble on the guitar from 8-10 and the amp (Fender HRDx at about 1). I found the attenuator to really cut the treble so I switched my guitar from the middle setup (equal bridge and neck pickup) to all bridge pickup. I played that way for about half the songs because I did not hear anything but a "darker" sound.

This is just a prelim. report. I'll have to play with it for several practices until I can really tell what I think.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

You guys with the HRD's, you really think you need an attenuator? Or are you using it with different amps.

I have mine around 2, and I get a great tone from it. Am I missing out on something?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

"Need?" Who knows, but the HRD all-tube amp is loud and touchy. You barely crack the amp and it is on or off. I just want to have control of it at whatever volume I play. With the primary band I likely don't need it because we play loud at practice.

With the secondary start-up band, yea, I need it. I have to get some compression/sustain at lower volumes so as not to piss off the other players nor the kids/wife upstairs.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2