Behringer V-amp 2

36 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at musiciansfriend at this amp modeler and it seems pretty cool, basically I'm looking for a good amp modeler i can use for under $200, I'm looking for something that can give me really heavy tones (like Metallica), and cleaner blues stuff (like SRV). I went to a music store today and they said this modeler isn't all that great, and i should pick up the POD line of stuff (around $299 at the store). As well, if anyone can think of any better FX stuff or digital amps to pick up, that would be helpful (I'm thinking of trading or selling my amp and FX, so price isn't a huge huge concern). Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Steve-0

(@sport)

What are you planning to use it for? It may not be suited for professional musicians, but for kicken around in the garage or using it during gigs seems to work great!

A friend uses the V-Amp 2 during worship sessions and it REALLY makes the geutar come alive!

For $100, I plan on buying one with my next guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm really not a professional musician, but I'd like something that sounds decent so I don't cringe when I play my own amp... so long as it's got a nice tone and it's good enough for me to play at home and with other musicians i'd be more then happy. I guess I also wonder since i don't have the best amp, if it would be a better idea to trade in for a better digital amp. I'm not sure if the amp modeler would sound great through the amp i'm playing, but i dunno.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I use a V-Amp, the first one, not the second. It's alright, good for the money, easy to use. Every once in a while I hate it, but most of the times its the best kind.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, even still i think i'll maybe wait til I have some more money and i'll have a look at some digital amps (I've seen a Fender and Vox one that look really awesome) as well as some modelers.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You can pick up a POD 2.0 for $199 @ MusiciansFriend, and you can also find the v2.0 and the XT on eBay for pretty cheap. I've got the 2.0 (got it when it was still $299) and love it. The Behringer stuff is almost identical, same patches and stuff, but cheaper.

The thing to remember though, when using a modeler - either one - is that they sound best through something hi-fi-ish, like a mixer with headphones or a PA system, where all the frequencies are allowed to be put through. Modlers are sorta 'CD quality' in other words, and if you put them through a 'low-fi' system like a midrangey guitar amp, you lose a lot of the sound. Even a bright sounding guitar amp isn't quite the same as say, a home stereo system if you know what I mean.

Both types I believe have cabinet/microphone modeling built into the patches, so you get the sounds of not only the amp models, but how they would sound with different speakers/cabs. On the PODs at least, this function can be disabled so you can plug it into a guitar amp and not have a speaker model going through an actual speaker; it's more like just plugging that particular amp into the speakers you happen to have.

But for not so much money, you can get a bunch of different amps to fool around with and record with if you like. They're really pretty nifty tools actually. Playing through a guitar amp might be a little different, but as I said, you can take the cab modeling off and tweak it so it sounds good that way too.

Best.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Funny you mention that DemoEtc, I just posted a question about this in another forum:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25351

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Personally I think the POD is over priced. I have the V-Amp 2 and if you take the time to tweak the settings with the software (you will need a USB to Midi cable) you can get some great sounds. If you were to use this (or any modelor) live then it might be a problem. There is a slight delay when changing amp models. If you organize your patches properly then you can minimize this and use it quite successfully (at least that's what I have read). There is also a Yahoo group for the V-Amp (I am sure there is one for the POD as well) so you can ask questions, get patches, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Exactly. It's good, and it can be worked with if you try hard enough.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

There is Digitech RP80 and RP200 too.

Digitech has an amazing sound community where there are tons of patches and forums where people actually answer.

These are multi-fx , but , i have heard that they have decent amp modelling with cab simulations too.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I guess what I don't like about the V amp 2 and all the modelers is that there isn't much freedom to change my sound halfway through a song, I like how i can get different sounds and all but i guess maybe i should just stick to pedals.

I like those Digitech multi-effects pedals though, they seem to have more control and have the ability to mimic alot of tones.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I guess what I don't like about the V amp 2 and all the modelers is that there isn't much freedom to change my sound halfway through a song, I like how i can get different sounds

I guess it depends on how much changing you do while playing.

The V-amp2 has 5 presets in each bank (20+ banks) that you can move between using the foot pedal. As long as you aren't changing the amp model there isn't any noticable delay or muting. Each preset can have different levels, drive, eq and effects with no problem.

And I got mine from E-bay for $50+shipping.
Not much of a risk at that price.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I guess it depends on how much changing you do while playing.

The V-amp2 has 5 presets in each bank (20+ banks) that you can move between using the foot pedal. As long as you aren't changing the amp model there isn't any noticable delay or muting. Each preset can have different levels, drive, eq and effects with no problem.

And I got mine from E-bay for $50+shipping.
Not much of a risk at that price.

Basically i wouldn't want to do much switching between amps, just between say a clean sound to a heavy sound. Thanks.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I also like my V-Amp2.
I can tweak the sound from my cheap electric guitar to the sound I like.
But, as you can change everything, it takes time to find out the sound settings that you like the best.
Sofar I have only used it in "studio" use and home recordings and not live through a amplifier/speakers.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Personal list soundquality/features:

Vox Tonelab: 9.5/7
Boss GT8: 8.5/10
Pod XT: 8/9
V-amp2/POD2: 6.5/7
Digitech RP: 3/6

A small V-amp clip recorded by yours truly: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=3960349

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3