Headphones into HRD?

25 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to hook up my headphones into my HRDeluxe?

I moved to a new apartment and the people here aren't as forgiving as the last place.

Thanks

Here is a pic of the top if it helps. Sorry it's the best pic I could find.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Being its a tube amp it will still need a speaker load on it. I would consider getting an attenuator to put between the amp and the speaker. That will allow you to run the amp at its sweet spot at low volume. You can pick them up fairly reasonable. Rockman Power Soak or Altair run around 50.00 to 100.00, I wouldn't pay much more than that. There are others but there a bit more costly.

Just a Thought.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So does that mean that the attenuator has a jack for my headphones?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker

I have been thinking about this a lot. I know you also want to play your guitar through your computer.

I might be wrong, but I think you need two things for this. First, as Joe said, an attenuator. You can get the 50W Load Dump with Volume Control from Weber for $75 (and maybe another $15 for 2 Speaker Cables also available at Weber). You can turn this all the way down and it will act like a "dummy load". Your amp can be all the way cranked, speaker still hooked up, but no volume at all. Then you can go from the Pre-Amp Out on the amp into a small mixer like this Behringer.

Behringer UB502

Now this mixer has a headphone jack, so you can just listen if you want, but it also has computer capabilities for recording. This might work. I have never recorded to my computer, so I am no expert at all on this.

Weber Load Dump

Click on Low Power Load Dump.

Now, I just noticed something. That Weber Load Dump has a Line Out. Perhaps?? you can listen with headphones through that. And you should be able for sure to go out of this Line Out into your computer. At least it seems you should. Maybe others can give more knowledgeable advice on this. With this you will not need the Pre-Amp Out on your amp, you can simply use the Line Out to go into the mixer or computer.

Also check out the Economy 50W Load Dump. There is no Line Out with this however. Speaker Cables are included. Good deal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Some do have headphone out, mostly the more expensive ones. With an attenuator you won't need headphones the higher the setting the lower the volume. At -32 your at headphone level coming from your speaker. Then use the line outs to go into a mixer then into your computer. now me being a creative and brave soul I connect the speaker outs from an attenuator in equalizers and/or the mixer.

This is because I tested the output signal from the speaker outs and know what the attenuator has to be set at in order for me to do this. I've put the hurt on many pieces of equipment before I realized I need to keep the ins and outs the same. -4 to +10.

One to keep a look out for is made by Rivera called a Hot sink. Their not made anymore. It's a dummy load with a line out and a Headphone out, you don't need the speaker even hooked up. I'm sure there are other company's that make such devices, the ones I talk about are ones I use or have used at one time or another. Like the Rocktron juice extractor its a worthy investment if you can get your hands one.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe & Wes,

Sorry it took me so long to get back on the subject, I was on a short hunting trip.

So I guess the next question would be....What would be the better buy.... Attenuator or Mixer???

An attenuator will make my amp sing better at lower volumes (right?) and the mixer will do....??????????

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Speaking for myself, I would go the Attenuator route. Which will allow you different setting for different amounts of attenuation. Meaning the less you attenuate the signal the louder it will be out your speaker. It's like having a master volume on the speaker signal. I even use them on small wattage amps. The old 1960's Gibson Falcons are only about 12 watts and I use one on them. I use a rack mounted tube pre-amp and a stereo equalizer then into the Gibson's, then an attenuator to get the output saturation to complete the signal chain.

Example: On the Mesa Boogie 50/50 I run an attenuator on one side and leave the other side without. I adjust the volume from side B to match the volume of the attenuated side A. This gives me a real nice full power overdrive sustain. I also use the other outs from the attenuators to go into other equipment like Eq's and power amp, mixers, etc.

The list and combinations are endless. All in that Quest for tone and sound.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe. At the end of the month I plan on buying a new Telecaster so while I'm there I will check them out.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I just received the Weber 50W Load Dump this week. I have only had one chance to use it with my HRD at gig levels. It has a Line Out but I didn't get a chance to run it into our PA mixer. However, I can do that at practice tomorrow night and let you know how well it works.

I did learn a few things. At max attenuation (the volume knob on the Load Dump turned all the way down), you could still hear the guitar through the amp, although the level was very low. It is almost like listening to your guitar through headphones while not wearing the headphones (hope you know what I mean). But it wasn't silent, you could still hear it.

But I was able to crank the amp to any settings whatsoever and control the volume. I really liked it, but I don't know if others would think it is worthwhile. It is a very subtle difference. It is warmer and thicker on both Clean and Drive channels. You can hear the saturation. It really sounds high gain and "spongy" as Joe described it. You can get feedback easily by standing close to the amp. It really increases sustain. If you crank up the Clean channel to 8 or so, you get the natural breakup. You simply go down on the guitar's volume for a clean sound. That is my favorite tone for rhythm guitar. Think early The Who. All this at low volume. But it is not some big giant difference that most people would notice. Some might not notice at all. But I could hear the difference. It allows you to play with a high energy type sound at low volume.

But you can turn the volume on the Load Dump up and the HRD will be as loud as ever. It also has a by-pass switch.

At practice I will run it into the mixer and give you my impressions. But I am very happy with it so far.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your right Wes most folks won't even know the difference other than you'll be sounding hot. Then they'll be asking how you getting that guitar to Talk like that and trying look around behind your equipment. I haven't tried one of those you'll have to give us a word on them. Nothing like feeling what your playing right there in your finger tips. Bends will be sustaining like forever, try a pinch harmonic.

You'll be having so much fun playing now they'll have to unplug you and carry you out to the van...lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Joe

Yes, that exactly describes it. Your guitar sounds "hot" like you are playing a jet engine. ON AFTERBURNERS!

I am familiar with tube saturation. At some gigs I was able to crank my HRD up. You can tell. Your amp starts to really sing. You can get some incredible sounds. I remember one night holding one single note for almost 2 minutes. You can feedback almost any note. And your "spongy" description is good. Tube saturation is fat sounding. The notes are big and round. It is really hard to describe this stuff! :D

It almost sounds as though your amp is going to go out of control. Some people might not like this, but I LOVE it!!

But it is still very subtle. You can get even an HRD to sound pretty hot at low volume by turning Drive all the way up.

But saturation is extra.

I was surprised that the amp still made sound with the volume turned to 0. Is this normal? It wasn't loud, but you could clearly hear it.

I am still really happy with this. I had Clean up to about 8 and Master (controls the Drive channel volume) to about 5-6. That comes out right for volume levels.

The reason I had Clean higher was so I could turn down the guitar's volume to clean it up and be at the proper volume compared to the Drive channels. Or turn up the guitar to get clean breakup.

But this does not make the amp sound different from a HRD. It still sounds like the same amp. Just cranked!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

First off, you guys are AWESOME!!! And EVERYONE else here!!! This site kicks ---!!! I always know where I can turn for well thought out answers and from the bottom of my heart, I thank you!

Second, Wes I checked out the Weber Load Dump (Low Power) but it didn't say anything about headphones. Is there anyway you could try hooking up headphones into the line out for me to see if it works?

Thanks again everyone!!!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

No more slouching while your playing now..lol Folks will start hearing that great guitar sound and will be begging for more. It's like a whole new world being able to get that cranked sound and tone at lower volumes. Sounds like you know what I've been trying to explain about using them. My opinion is that all tube amps, equalizers, and attenuators should be the high on the list of things guitar players should be familiar right along with other effects.

It seems like years ago many guitarist didn't talk about attenuators, eq's and delays because those were their ace's, and they didn't want to play their whole hand. Even for me 20/30 years ago you wouldn't of got a straight answer about those toy's hidden behind my amps or how I was getting that sound and tone. Even one gadget I built I put inside a sony walkmen which laid on top of my amps. At first look everyone just thought in was a portable cassette player until they saw the guitar cables plugged into it.

"the amp still made sound with the volume turned to 0" Which volume?
When my guitar is set to 0 there is no sound.

At sometime put a eq in the signal chain and listen to how dimensional your sound and tone will become.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah Joe,

I've heard your sound clips in the past. You know how to get the sound. You should post some more clips on here from time to time. Everyone can learn a lot from you about getting great guitar tone. I know I've learned from you.

My problem is that I am a relatively poor musician. It's not often I can spend money on extras. But I got a nice bonus at work this year, so I tried to pick up a few things. I have wanted an attenuator for some time.

Joe, the Load Dump has a Volume control on it. When I had this turned all the way counter-clockwise (max attenuation), I could still hear some guitar coming out of my amp's speaker. It wasn't very loud, but I was expecting silence. Is this normal?

Mike (Tracker) I am not an electronics guy, but I believe a Line Out is a weaker signal than a Headphones Out. You MAY be able to hear through it, but it would probably be pretty weak if you could hear it at all. I still think you would need to get an inexpensive mixer like that Behringer I gave a link for. They have many good little mixers for under $100, that was just the cheapest. But you can get more features and inputs for just a little more. Behringer mixers have a good reputation and are used by many soundpersons. The mixer will have a pre-amp that boosts that line signal. Plus, they have a headphone jack. If you want to record on your computer you would want a mixer anyway to give you control over the sound and mix. So I'm pretty sure you would need the mixer too.

You should be able to go into your computer from the Line Out on the Load Dump, but how do you control the mix? I've never recorded to computer so I don't know. Maybe the software allows you to do that.

Now, you can go straight from your guitar into the mixer and listen with headphones or record to your computer. But you would need pedals for distortion or any effects. The higher priced mixers have built in effects but this does not usually include distortions.

If you can afford it, get the attenuator and mixer. Then you will really be able to crank your HRD at home and make recordings. It does sound good! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker

We have practice tonight. I will try to remember to take headphones with me. I'll let you know if it works tomorrow.

But you saw where I said when the Load Dump is turned to max attenuation, you could still hear a trace of guitar coming out of the HRD's speaker. But this was very quiet. Believe me, it wouldn't even disturb a sleeping baby, it sounds like a ghost sound for want of a description. But it still sounds like the amp is cranked. Just far off and very, very quiet.

Wes

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2