Clear all

I need help

38 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. im finaly getting a new guitar and amp. i've choosen a fender standard strat, witch is about $560 with tax. I'll have 1600 to spend. I know absoluetly nothing about amps. I'll have just over a grand to spend on a new amp, and i dont want to be ripped off. i'm hopping for a damn good amp, one i can play shows with and such. Anyone have advice? what kind of amp am i looking at for $1000? Also, a friend told me that just the number of watts doesnt mean much, i always thought higher the watts the louder the amp? Please give me advice/your thoughts! THANK YOU!

It's All we could hope for

(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

for a grand? your options are almost limitless, you will never go wrong with a marshall,

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

What type of music? If you're looking for flexibility, you might want a fender and some good overdrive/ distortion pedals.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i love experemental, progressive (the mars volta comes to mind). i also like playing post hardcore music as well. i just dont want to get ripped off

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

take your time, you've got plenty of funds to get the sound you are looking for.
just research the available sources, read reviews, harmony central reviews at http://www.harmonycentral.com/User_Reviews/
is a good place to start.
let us know how it goes.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Peavey 6505 series = EVH 5150

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hot Rod Deluxe would be a GREAT choice and you'll have money left over for accessories and effects. Also the Fender® Blues Deluxe Reissue 40 watt is my personal favorite. I am dying for one of these.

I think MOST people here will agree that whatever amp you choose it should be a tube amp. It does depend on the music you want to play and your style but tube amps seem to be the professional's choice.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

On watts, IIRC you need 10 times the number of watts to get double the power, so
120 watts is twice as loud (all things equal) as a 12watt amp.

The other thing is that with smaller tube amps you can get to the sweet spot with less damage to your hearing, and amps can usually be mic'd into a pa system if you play in larger areas.

The other method is to get the 120 stack and blow the hearing of the first row, your choice.

Soldano
Fender
Marshall
Peavey
Crate

are all worth checking out. For the money you'll probably want all tube, but you could try some hybrids as well.
Narrow it down, do you need mutliple channels? Efx loop? Line out?
Let us know how the research goes.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

whats the advantage of a toob amp? and does the number of watts usualy mean the sound quality is better?

ReplyQuote
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

also how many watts is good for an amp that'll play a show? i always thought 40 watts was not that loud

ReplyQuote
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What type of music? If you're looking for flexibility, you might want a fender and some good overdrive/ distortion pedals.

i dont really know the advantages of overdrive, or really what it does to sound. same with reverb and such, this is probaly a problem

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

With that kind of money available, I'd be looking at a Peavey Classic, either 30W or 50W, Fender HRD, Fender blues Deluxe, a used Vox AC30 or, possibly a Marshall. The money, left over, can be used to get you a couple of good foot pedals - for your type of music, I'd suggest distortion, delay, and, at least, one equaliser.
As an indicator, you'll tend to find that the amps, which use EL34s in the power amp are the heavier end of the spectrum (Marshall, Hi-Watt, etc - i.e. the high gain amps) and those with a good clean stage tend to run EL84s (or 6L6s) - à la Vox AC30 or Fender HRD.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Plug into a Fender HRD and turn it up... The people who own them seem to think they'll cover most indoor gigs. I know a few people who use 15 watt amps and mic them. I've seen professsionals mic 50 watt amps for outdoor ampitheaters.
Sound quality will come from driving the tubes through good speakers not the number of watts (amount of power).
For a variety of technical reasons, a 40 watt tube amp with good speakers will sound louder than a cheap solid states of ostensibly the same wattage.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I can give you an expensive link here -

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMGSTACK2

Goes for exactly 1000 $$ and don't forget to check out the reviews at harmony central and lastly DON'T FORGET TO TRY IT OUT YOURSELF....

Best of luck buying ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3