Skip to content
Need help choosing ...

Notifications
Clear all

Need help choosing a clean sounding amp!

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

Hello all! I am new to this forum and am a begining guitar player. I was wondering if you all could recommend a good amp for me to go along with my Epiphone Chet Atkins Tennesean (Hollow Body). I am looking for something that produces clean sounds. Someone recommended a Vox Valvetronix modelling amp that has many different style settings in order to get the most bang for my buck. However, despite all the positive reviews that I've read about this amp, I have read that they have a tendency to burn out because the wires are not the correct gauge for the amount of power that runs through it. I have read about this problem on several different forums. Because I am a huge Johnny Marr fan, I would like to replicate his clean guitar sounds as best as possible. I know that he uses a Roland JC-120 in the studio and, from what I've read, this amp is famous for its clean sounds. However, I am concerned that it might be too much for someone who wants to use it solely in a bedroom setting. I wouldn't mind having different settings (i.e. distortion), but I am more interested in a clean sounding amp. Is the Roland JC-120 too much for me? Is there something that is comparable to the JC-120 that is smaller and might suit me better? Any help is truly, truly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time!

-valleyboy

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For JC-120 clean sound in a smaller amp, try one of the Roland Cubes. The clean channel in those is modeled on the JC-120. If anyone can get that sound in a modeling amp, it should be Roland! :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, $900 is pretty steep.

I've never heard the JC-120, but I do have one of those Roland Cube 30s. I think it's an older model than what Musician's Friend has. Some of the amp models are pretty neat, like the heavy stuff. I never use it clean though. I've got a Fender Blues Deluxe that I really like. In fact, after I get another pedal or two, I'll probably unload the Cube.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

... Vox Valvetronix ... I have read that they have a tendency to burn out because the wires are not the correct gauge for the amount of power that runs through it.

That's interesting. I'm a member of three Valvetronix forums and I haven't seen that.

In might be interesting to run that past the guys on the main Valvetronix forum and see what they think.

I have an AD30VT and think it's really great.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It definitely sounds fishy. I can't believe they'd build an amp with power wires that would burn out from insufficient gauge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

... Vox Valvetronix ... I have read that they have a tendency to burn out because the wires are not the correct gauge for the amount of power that runs through it.

That's interesting. I'm a member of three Valvetronix forums and I haven't seen that.

In might be interesting to run that past the guys on the main Valvetronix forum and see what they think.

I have an AD30VT and think it's really great.

I read these negative reviews on the guitar center forum. They actually purchased and used the map, so their opinion is good in my eyes:

See for yourself. Read the post with the following headings (in Red):

"BillC" on page 1
"Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50W" on page 1 (last post)
"Not Roadworthy" on page 2
"Good but Faulty" on page 3

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc?mode=1

I also got the same feed back from an employee at guitar center who gave me the pros and cons of the amp. Granted, you should take anything they say with a grain of salt! I also saw several post with similar comments on other forums, but i am at work and don't have time to look for them. I will posts similar posts when i come across them. Despite the negative feedback, I am still tempted to get one of these. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all of your help!

-valleyboy

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I'm getting one tonight, valleyboy, so I'll let you know how mine works out!

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like BS to me. I've had one for three years now I guess, and as I'm the reincarnation of laziness I leave it on 24/7. It didn't burn down, which it should have if that design flaw really was true. So it's something else. I'm sure you can find four dudes with a broken valvetronix amp, but that's no wonder which such a popular amp.

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Does leaving it on affect or wear out the tube faster? I've never had an amp with a tube in it, and know nothing about their care and maintenance.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have no idea, but I believe that pre-amp tubes wear out slower then poweramp tubes, plenty of pre-amp tubes last well over a decade when I look at those old VS marshalls in the rehearsal rooms here. Besides, a pre-amp tube costs absolutely nothing, so if my laziness means I have to spend ten bucks more every decade then so be it. :roll:

Now if you were playing a 120W Mesa I'd probably care a bit more, but really don't worry about your Vox, it'll be fine. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Cool, I won't worry about it then! Thanks. :)

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

Sounds like BS to me. I've had one for three years now I guess, and as I'm the reincarnation of laziness I leave it on 24/7. It didn't burn down, which it should have if that design flaw really was true. So it's something else. I'm sure you can find four dudes with a broken valvetronix amp, but that's no wonder which such a popular amp.

O.k. so what kind of amp do you recommend? Vox Valvetronix? Roland Cube? Other Recomendations?

ReplyQuote
(@valleyboy)
Topic starter  

I'm getting one tonight, valleyboy, so I'll let you know how mine works out!

Jeff

Thanks! You're feedback would totally be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It depends. The Cube has a very sterile clean, very much like the JC120. The Vox has warmer cleans, more like a hotrod (just for comparisons sake). Both are great amps, I personally prefer the Vox. I think a JC120 is kinda pointless for practice purposes, noone needs that much headroom I think.

ReplyQuote
(@like2jam)

I would look around for a Fender Performer amp. These are hybrid amps with a tube preamp. The sound is sweet and you would swear you are playing a vintage Rivera Era Fender. They are 2 channel with a lead boost. The tone cannot be overlooked for the money. The cube is very sterile and not really versatile.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2