Clear all

Order of Pedals

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Note: I don't own any of these pedals, but within the next 2 months I plan to buy a few.

Here's my question. Pretend you have a:
compressor/sustainer
wah-wah
EQ
noisegate

In what order would you put them if I started with:

Guitar -> Effects -> Amplifier (no effects loop)

- reality

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Read the lesson "Loup Garou" in the Amp&EFX section, reached from the GN homepage. Some good info there...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

To expand your knowledge for that highly sought after guitar and amp tone is a matter of understanding how to get the most out the existing products that will enable you to achieve that Quest. You can get satisfactory results with equipment you have by researching Professional guitarist gear used to get their tone, then combining basic gear principles and guidelines in building your set-up.

It's also about experimentation, along with understanding the basics of eq curves, distortion stages, Combining effects in certain sequences, and becoming familiar with power attenuators. This is important and every beginning guitarist should successfully learn and identify the key principles of effectivly setting up a signal chain before their guitar amp as well as the importance of the final stages of the chain.

This signal chain below is considered the secret to a better sound. Use it as a foundation while considering which devices you'll need and learning how to make the most of what you have. Adding an EQ pedal or two pre and post the distortion stage, along with good power attenuator. Is something to consider.

Effective foundation for a signal chain,

Guitar->eq->Comp/OD/Dist pedals->eq->amps preamp->amps tone stack->tube power amp->power attenuator->speakers

Thoughts on your signal chain.

Guitar->Eq-> Compressor/sustainer->Wah-wah->Noisegate->Amps pre-amp->Amps tone stack->Amps power amp->Speakers

Once you truly understand this information you will be more satisfied and producing the desired preamp distortion voicing combined with power-tube saturation at any volume level. Simply put to have end-to-end control is to have an eq>dist>eq pedal chain, a tube power amp, and a power attenuator.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe for that input. Should I have 2 EQ pedals for my signal chain, considering the effective foundation you said? If so, do I put the 2nd EQ behind or in-front of the noisegate?

I read "Loup Garou" and that gave me some insight, too. Thanks Laz.

- reality

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'd keep the noisegate last, sinceb oosting freqs with an EQ can add noise. I myself use two noisegates and two EQs:

guitar->EQ->pre-gain effects->noisegate->preamp->EQ->post-gain effects->noisegate->poweramp/speakers.

Two EQs isn't really required, but the first EQ will really give you far more control over your sound. Don't forget that you should use the EQ to make subtle changes to your basic sound, not define your basic sound. So set your amp and guitar (pups, tone/voule knobs) to get as close as possible, and then use the EQ(s) to make final adjustments. I myself only use the 2nd EQ if I make use of post-gain effects, else the effect is just too small to notice.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Over the years I've spent lots of time and money on my favorite subject of being able to control a cranked tube amp tone at variable volume levels. With my never ending experimenting with alternative combinations of equipment configurations to successfully achieve this quest and gaining the understanding of the most overlooked basic principles of getting great guitar sounds.

The best approach that works for myself and allows the most control over all aspects of the signal chain is by placing Eq's in essential area's, plus implementing dummy loads and power attenuators for getting the most impressive power tube saturation and still having various degrees of speaker interaction.

Currently I'm utilizing three stereo rack mounted equalizers along with one dummy load w/line outs and two attenuators. I use a frown curve before distortion and a moderate smile curve after distortion. Then use various curve settings on the one farther down the setup. You'll read and hear many different opinions about this subject of setup secrets, but its up to you to make the best choices of how to make your own gear work its best.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

If you're going to add a compressor to the flow, i would go this way:
compressor/noisegate/eq/wah. Here's my logic. The majority of the noise you will get is from the guitar itself. Compressing it will just make the noise louder so gating after the compressor makes sense. You don't want to gate after any modulation or reverb effects because it may cut in and chop off the end of your modulation/delay/reverb effect. Any eq that you apply before the compressor may be nullified by the compressor so eqing after compression will have the most effect. That's just my two cents.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for this question, but what is a dummy load?

Arjen, I'll keep in mind what you said.

I guess I got GAS, first I wanted a beautiful PRS guitar, but now I want a good amp to compliment it, and for the amp I want to bring out the best and add all this stuff... haha.

- reality

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A tube amp sounds at it's best (according to pretty much everyone, but feel free to disagree!) when it is being driven hard, and the tubes start to add a different texture to the sound. However, to get most tubeamps this far you'll need to turn it so insanely loud that you can forget ever being invited by your neighbours again. A dummy load will take away part of the energy so you can still crank the tubes but keep your hearing intact. Ofcourse, you don't get speaker distortion but still much better then just setting a tube amp to volume 1/10.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Tube distortion does sound it's best when it's cranked. Of course there's a line where it starts to "fart" (sorry I can't speak in tech terms about this) but generally speaking you can't get that thick distortion without cranking it. Clean tube sound is something all together different. There's some areas where solid state is usefull too but I think Forrok_star pretty well owns the tube domain here. I doubt that any of us could really argue that since he obviously has the most experience.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Granted Hueseph, but no one will be able to save us if Lord Valve ever shows up on GN. We must be flying below his radar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Remember Greg, he's your Fatha!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo.............

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ah, I understand it.. that could also be said as.. "overdriving the tubes", or saturation, or some word :).

I've heard high-gain active pickups like EMGs will "drive" a tube amp at lower volume.. in that case would it still be nessecary to use dummy loads?

- reality

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

by the way, I'm sorry if my questions annoy you all, heh.. I'll be turning 16 in a month and I'll start making money and I want to build on my guitar rig. I haven't gotten to play a tube amp at overdriven levels.. ;(. I'm excited though, but I've got a serious case of GAS now.. eek.

- reality

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2