Clear all

Tube Amps and Modeling Boxes

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@teegee420)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anybody running a Pod, Vamp or other modeling box through their tube amp? I've been toying with idea of getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I wonder if using a modeling box would produce good results. Does such a thing defeat the purpose of having a tube amp in the first place? Should I just get a Vox VT series?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just last week at a jam a guitar player ran his guitar into the Johnson amp modeler which then ran thru an amp.
he uses that set up all the time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's what I have, the Johnson amp modeler and I run it through my Fendor Hot Rod...

I don't think it defeats the purpose but I'm not sure. I keep the amp on the clean channel and use the modeler for effects.

Seems to work OK but I'd have to say I don't really love the effects, I think individual pealds might sound better.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it takes quite abit of trial and error with pedals to find the right tone.
it took me close to five years.
now I m happy with a modded tubescreamer and a few other pedals.
pedals was my final way.

WAY :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

No I don't think it defeats the purpose. A Hot Rod Delux, which I too own can be dialed in to a very very clean sound and LOUD as all hell. I run my Boss GT8 in front of and IN the Loop with my Dlx. Its perfect.

I'm under the impression that with a MEfx unit like yours and/or mine we want an ultra clean amp. Ideally an FRFR Powered PA would be the best choice but I think and have had feedback from others, that the HotRod Dlx is a great solution.

So... My point.. Go with it.. run with it and rock on dude :)

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, another Hot Rod Deluxe owner here. Modelers sound great through it, may have to tweak the presets a bit. Right now I use a Zoom GFX-1 but last gig I used a pedalboard with individual pedals. I think I will stay with the individual pedals for awhile. I usually go straight into the instrument inputs.

Just my opinion, but everything sounds much better through a good tube amp. The HRD has a big, warm, full tone. Get your effects tweaked right and it sounds awesome through this amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@teegee420)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Will the Hot Rod work well at bedroom volume levels? I saw a couple of reviews that mentioned the use of a volume box. What does that do? I'm starting to lean toward a Vox because of its adjustable power output.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ask yourself what you want and which products could fill that need, not the other way around. At bedroom levels an HDR would give a very transparant output without any sort of tube sound. By increasing the volume (or using an attenuator) you can experiment with different levels of digital and analog gain.

Personally I'd use either one but not both. Playing a v-amp through a HDR is a waste of an excellent amp, playing a GT8/Tonelab through a HDR would be a waste of money most likely, a high-class solid-state poweramp would do just as good a job.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I have two HRD tube amps. One for gigs/band rehersal and another in my music room. A HRD is a huge waste if you're playing at low volumes. I practice late at night and the HRD is very touchy on volume. You spin the volume to say 1.3 and it's almost off and spin it to 1.5 and it's loud. If you ever plan to play with others HRD's are good. But if you will only play in a bedroom at low volume does it justify spending $600 on an amp?

Nevertheless, I have that HRD in my music room cause I got it for $300 and figured what the heck.

I run a multieffects processor in front of my gigging HRD and I think it sounds great. Set the amp on clean. HRD's are nice amps for the price.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Will the Hot Rod work well at bedroom volume levels? I think you might be able to open up your bedroom quite a bit with the HRD. Close the windows tight, dime the HRD, play a nice strong power chord progression .. your windows are not in Kansas any more, you have a much bigger bedroom, no problem :lol:

Seriously, if you want a bedroom amp, even the Epi Valve Junior is too loud cranked.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Another HRD owner checkin' in.............

Beadroom amp, hell no, unless of course your bedroom has a 20x15 stage and fits 300 (check your local fire code laws though). :lol:

If you get the HRD and plan on the jammin' the bedroom scene...... get an attenuator. Basically an attenuator will allow you to get full tube saturation at any volume level you want.

ReplyQuote
(@teegee420)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. It's obvious to me now that the HRD is way out of my league, at least in terms of my intended use for it. I think the Vox would be my best bet.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. It's obvious to me now that the HRD is way out of my league, at least in terms of my intended use for it. I think the Vox would be my best bet.

The vox is a great choice for a bedroom amp. Good selection of good amp models, some basic effects, pre-amp tube saturation at low volumes..I think you will be happy with it. I have an AD30VT, I use it for practice almost every day, often late at night when the rest of the family is sound asleep.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey TeeGee,

I don't think the HotRod is out of your league or anyone elses. Its more a performing Amp meant to be played on stage and at volume, not so much a "Practice Amp" if you will.

Another solution, or two, for in the bedroom volumes that doesn't require an amp per se.

• Is your computer in the same room as where you play?
    (An office or music room or bedroom).
    Does your computer have speakers?
    (Or you could take the money you save from buying an amp and get some quality PC Surround speakers).
    Does your MEfx unit have a phones out?

If not, there are some inexpensive Powered Speaker systems out there too (i've tried these and they sound just as good)

• If yes to the above, why not connect your MEfx to your PC and play through those speakers?

That's my solution at home, yes I still plug into my HotRod on occasion mainly to piss of my neighbors, My HotRod is 'really' used when I go and play with other musician friends.... OK call it band practice but we're not offically a band. :wink:

My with my GT8 hooked up to my PC and I do have better than normal PC speakers.. it sounds AWESOME!! and sometimes in Surround!!! Its great :)

The second solution is to use headphones... another Great sounding low volume solution too. :)

Cheers

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
    (@greybeard)
    Illustrious Member

I sometimes play with my guitar attached (via DI box) to my mixer, then "mains out" (speakers) to the active speakers on my PC (you disconnect them from the PC and connect to the mixer).
    Works very well.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
    Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
    Greybeard's Pages
    My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 2