Clear all

40-something newbie here...

17 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just wanted to intro myself. I joined up today and you guys look interesting. I like to think that I play guitar, bass and drums...and I'm practicing all of them lately after many years of having put playing aside. I never quit listening, but I stopped playing. But I'm back at my ripe old age and more determined than ever.

That's it for now! Take care. :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

Posted : 24/10/2006 5:49 pm
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

Welcome!

I'm a newb to both here and guitar, people seem very encouraging around here which is why I joined up.

Nick

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

Posted : 24/10/2006 6:05 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. Lots of us about that age.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 24/10/2006 6:17 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/10/2006 6:22 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 24/10/2006 7:05 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

mmm 40 something ??? is not " ripe old age " thank you very much I am 43 and still feel 21 lol who am I am trying to kid ..

Welcome have fun

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 25/10/2006 1:23 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome, Musica! Another mid-forty-er here.

Enjoy GN and the forums!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 25/10/2006 2:36 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, musica23.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 25/10/2006 5:05 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I was 46 when I discovered GN - been playing on-and-off (more off than on!) for about 30 years then I decided to take it seriously....

My playing has improved such a lot over the last 3 years, not only that but with the help of the people here I actually know a bit of theory now, and I'm not afraid to experiment...and as an added bonus, thanks to the Sunday Songwriters forum, my songwriting's improved too!

GN is, in my humble opinion, the best self-help group on the planet - but you have to want to get better!

Welcome!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/10/2006 9:01 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I am not forty yet, but it is right around the bend! I am sure you will find MANY posters to the board in the same boat as you!

Posted : 26/10/2006 9:09 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

I discovered this site at the over-ripe old age of 44 and never looked back. Welcome aboard!

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 28/10/2006 2:24 pm
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I was 46 when I discovered GN - been playing on-and-off (more off than on!) for about 30 years then I decided to take it seriously....

My playing has improved such a lot over the last 3 years, not only that but with the help of the people here I actually know a bit of theory now, and I'm not afraid to experiment...and as an added bonus, thanks to the Sunday Songwriters forum, my songwriting's improved too!

GN is, in my humble opinion, the best self-help group on the planet - but you have to want to get better!

Welcome!

:D :D :D

Vic

Well, that's certainly great to hear! Sounds very much like my habit over the years: playing off and on, but more off than on! You've just given me some great encouragement. This time I'm not quitting for anything!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

Posted : 29/10/2006 3:36 pm
(@crisp51)

Hi Vic
Like you I am new to this site
Mind you i have another 10+ years on you
Study / work / family meant not picking a a guitar for 30 odd years
Now loving every minute of it - even practicing scales and chords
How sick is that............. :oops:
Christiaan

Posted : 26/11/2006 9:48 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Welcome to our geriatri.... err musical friendly club!.
I'm also 40+!

cheers.
Roberto

Posted : 26/11/2006 9:54 pm
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member

Yikes! I'm 54 and sorta just starting. Just found this board though. Tried bass for a few years in my early 20s, but things started getting in the way. Always regretted not learning an instrument. Anyway, been seeing the VW ads with the First Act guitars. Toys R Us had a recent sale of FA guitars so I bought an acoustic. WOW! I knew your fingers got sore when starting, but this was torture. After 2 weeks I went to the Guitar Center ,on bBlack Friday, and the salesman talked me into a Yamaha Gigmaster acoustic. What a difference! Took the FA back to TRU and got my D'oh back Then I found this board and I'm already playing songs. Even remembering some of the bass stuff from years gone by. I can play the bass line to "I'm Going Home" by Ten Years After, good finger exercise and a break from practicing chords. Can play(and remember) 3 chords already. Not really wanting to "read" music but damn, I WANNA PLAY! Sorry for the rant. Smell ya later, Gary :oops:

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

Posted : 28/11/2006 1:35 pm
Page 1 / 2