Greetings from the Hudson Valley!

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello everyone:

I'm a beginning guitarist - returning to the instrument after a failed attempt back in my early 20's. Now in my late 30's, I'm excited to have picked it up again. As far as musical tastes, I enjoy blues, rock and gypsy jazz listening to players such as SRV, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore and Stochelo Rosenberg. Right now, my musical focus is on blues. As far as guitars, I own an Applause roundback acoustic and a Hohner G2T headless electric guitar. I spend most of my time on the Hohner.

I'm also a sufferer of repetitive strain injury or RSI - the most common form being carpal tunnel syndrome. My particular problem is Dequervain's which is a form of tendonitis in the right hand thumb area. This is a result of years of working in information technology.

This injury, as well as years of chronic back pain, has led me to an interest in the subject of ergonomic instrument design. As a result, I've embarked on building an ergonomic guitar. (see my sig for a link to the blog). It's been an exciting process and I'm hoping to complete my first guitar build very soon.

Finally, I'm looking forward to participating on the forum and learning from fellow guitarists.

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

Posted : 30/10/2006 2:00 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Rob! Interesting guitar designs. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/10/2006 2:18 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

Looks like an interesting blog. I'm yet to have the spare time, equipment, money or knowlege to be able build my own guitar... but I've always wanted to and I do tinker with designs from time to time. I'm the other end of the scale from you though - I know what I want it to look like, and if I can stretch that design to be comfortable then that'll be a bonus :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 30/10/2006 2:24 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/10/2006 3:08 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Welcome!

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 30/10/2006 3:39 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN.

Looking forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 30/10/2006 3:47 pm
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Posted : 30/10/2006 7:02 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

We are all in this together.

Welcome to GN and I hope you take away as much as some of the rest of us have.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 30/10/2006 7:13 pm
(@camano-jim)

Welcome! I wear a velcro strap around my left wrist when I play it has really helped alot. But that guitar looks cool :D

Posted : 31/10/2006 1:09 am
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Welcome! I wear a velcro strap around my left wrist when I play it has really helped alot. But that guitar looks cool :D

Thanks! I typically wear a velcro strap on my right wrist during my day at work. It definitely makes it feel a bit better and it also serves as a reminder to keep my wrists aligned properly while I hack away at a keyboard.

As far as the guitar is concerned, I think its cool looking in its own way as well. :D

Posted : 31/10/2006 1:46 am
(@lwj001)
Reputable Member

Howdy Rob from the hudson Valley. Welcome, from the Red River Valley!

Kingwood Kowboy
Author of over 6,600 song lyrics
http://www.kingwoodkowboy.com/

Posted : 06/11/2006 9:09 am
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Welcome Rob. I live east of troy :)

Enjoy your stay

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 06/11/2006 10:57 am
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Welcome!
That looks like quite the project. I make a little sawdust in my spare time as well-mostly furniture from scrap lumber. Good-looking site,too. And you're almost neighbors to family I have in Delmar. My uncle is out to scale all the peaks in the Adirondacks-nice country out there!

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

Posted : 06/11/2006 7:59 pm
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Welcome!
That looks like quite the project. I make a little sawdust in my spare time as well-mostly furniture from scrap lumber. Good-looking site,too. And you're almost neighbors to family I have in Delmar. My uncle is out to scale all the peaks in the Adirondacks-nice country out there!

Thanks for the feedback on the site! The build is coming along and I just got the neck and bridge in so it should actually start to look like a guitar soon. :D

Posted : 06/11/2006 9:27 pm
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Thats a cool idea for a guitar and useful as well, good luck with it. Also welcome to GN.

Posted : 06/11/2006 9:48 pm
Page 1 / 2