Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Nova Scotia , Canada

17 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@cdnarcher)
Topic starter

Helle everyone, my name is Christian and I am 47, and I just discovered your site....Wonderfull, I have a 6 string YAMAHA F-450 that I just picked up 2 months ago and with that guitar lessons. my fingers are getting better and harder..lol
My first tune that I learned was "Stand By Me", but my all time favorite that I spend at least 1 hr a day practicing is "The House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals.
Iam relay enjoying it, wanted to do this for so long and now i am doing it, Iam hoping to learn a lot by browsing this website and pick up little tricks.
thank you :D

Posted : 04/06/2007 11:12 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of guitar Christian! 8) Hope to see you around the boards.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/06/2007 11:20 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Christian! Strange how many people on this site took up guitar in their 40's.....quite a few of us! Funny, Stand By Me and House Of The Rising Sun were the first two songs I could play.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 04/06/2007 11:49 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Welcome Christian! I've been to Nova Scotia before, and from what I saw of it its a nice place. Good luck with your endevors!

P.S - How do you like your Yamaha? I have the FG700S, which isn't a bad guitar for the price. Just wondering if others a satisfied.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 05/06/2007 12:23 am
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Christian. Welcome to GN. I think 'House of the Rising Sun' was one of the first "must learn" songs for a lot of us.

Denny

Posted : 05/06/2007 2:52 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Christian.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/06/2007 2:00 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

welcome to GN Christian. Yep, you found your "school of fish" here. Lots of us around you age, musical taste, and almost everyone love guitar most days. :lol:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 05/06/2007 2:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Christian! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 05/06/2007 2:47 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Christian! 8)

Learn to chords of 'House of the rising sun' and also try with the fingerpicking lesson by David. I did last summer and it is very funny!

Posted : 05/06/2007 3:07 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Christian.

Look forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 05/06/2007 3:35 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN, Christian. I am happy to report that you are older than I. HA! Not by much (i'm 44) but at least I don't feel like the old guy anymore. I started on the guitar about 10 months ago. Congrats on learning the songs. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 05/06/2007 6:17 pm
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

Welcome. I started at 35, so I'm not far behind.

Posted : 05/06/2007 6:25 pm
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Welcome Christian from Nova Scotia.

The House of the Rising Sun was also one of the first songs I learned how to play. I am learning how to play it in a blues style now with lots of fingering and neat little slides with my little finger. I just got a new Takamini 12 string and House sounds great on it.

I started at 59 ...

Rob
Manitoba - East of NS

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

Posted : 06/06/2007 1:15 pm
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Hey Christian:

Nice to see a fellow Nova Scotian - put yourself on the map if you haven't already. I've bought a lot of books over the years but this site beats them all as I'm finally starting to understand something about music.

You're going to enjoy this site

Richard

Posted : 07/06/2007 12:29 am
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member

Welcome Christian! Ya, House of the rising sun is a great song, I have played and sang Amazing Grace to the same tune in a couple of differant places before.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

Posted : 07/06/2007 6:07 am
Page 1 / 2