Notifications
Clear all

New, and buying a guitar

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@conversegeek92)
Topic starter

Wow, so im new, young, and im buying a guitar this weekend!
Acutally me and my dad are travellling quite a ways to look at the nearest guitar store so i would like to know what to look for. (im buying electric).
Nothing to crazy but i know they have a big variety and have farely good guitars. So if anyone would like to help that would be good. My budget is around $200. (i hope thats enough!). Thanks

Posted : 01/03/2006 1:34 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise!

Go in that store with a blindfold on. Play them all.

The one that suits you best will be felt.

It should take you all day so go early and stay late. Mostly have fun.

You may not have many chances to play real expensive guitars even if you don't get to buy one the first time out. Now's your chance. :wink:

Have fun!!!!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/03/2006 2:34 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitarnoise, hopefully you'll stick around long enough to learn a few tips and ask LOTS of questions.....we look forward to helping!

Advice on buying guitars is a difficult one to start with....but try the higher end budget models, ie Epiphone instead of Gibson, Squier instead of Fender - I for one wouldn't swap my Squier Telecaster for a Fender, not even if you gave me the £300 differerence...I love that guitar.....

But do like Bish said, try 'em all - the guitar you need will pick you!

Good luck and happy hunting......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/03/2006 3:13 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh and yeah....any dad who's willing to take his kid out for the day and spend money on said kid for a guitar is COOOOOOL in my books.....and you can tell him I said so! 500 instant street cred points to that man.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 01/03/2006 3:15 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

There are alot of good inexpensive guitars, just have to find the one that yells out to you: "Take me home!". :D You'll know when you've found the right one. Good luck!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 01/03/2006 11:40 am
(@conversegeek92)
Topic starter

aww, yes. i forgot to say, im a lefty. does that propose any problems? or make costs go up?

Posted : 01/03/2006 1:25 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've noticed a slight increase in cost from right to left handed. Normally it's roughly 15 - 20 dollars in most cases.

Sadly, your choices off the shelf may be very limited with regards to trying them out.

Bish

Posted : 01/03/2006 2:01 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, ran across this at MF. looks like a great deal for under $200. a solid top fender acoustic (korean probably)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=511997

#4491....

Posted : 01/03/2006 5:24 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Squier instead of Fender

Not to threadjack, but I was wondering about this after a recent trip to a guitar shop.

Other than price what's the important difference between a Squire Strat, a "Mexi-Strat" (that's what the store has it labelled) and a "proper" Stratocaster?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 01/03/2006 7:33 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Squier instead of Fender

Not to threadjack, but I was wondering about this after a recent trip to a guitar shop.

Other than price what's the important difference between a Squire Strat, a "Mexi-Strat" (that's what the store has it labelled) and a "proper" Stratocaster?

Squier is the Fender budget line or entry level guitar, the affinity squier is the least expensive and lowest quality. they are made overseas and they have improved quality control vastly in recent years. some here at GN will swear by them.

the trade off between them and MiM Fenders (mexi) is usually in quality of hardware, materials, and quality control. the MiM Fenders have parts such as necks and bodies made at the US factory in Corona and assembled in mexico.

MiA Fenders are completely made and assembled in the US, the quality control is much higher (some will rightly argue this) and the hardware is of higher quality.
there are also Fender guitars made overseas (japan, korea) such as the recently re-released strat 12string and several other models as well
here is a link to a tour of the fender USA factory a few years back
http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/FactoryTourE.asp

#4491....

Posted : 01/03/2006 8:59 pm
(@conversegeek92)
Topic starter

lefty, i planning on buying electric but the site served me well as i found this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511383
what do you guys think? good buy?

Posted : 01/03/2006 9:19 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sorry didn't know you were looking for an electric or that you were a lefty.
no experiance with them so i could not say,
but this is only a bit more
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=510469

here is an interesting review on the epi lp II lefty
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Special_II_Lefty-1.html

#4491....

Posted : 01/03/2006 10:13 pm
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

thats awsume

Good luck to u

AND.....
hey twisted lefty! I haven't seen u around lately...Come outta whatever hole you've been in and kick bish's butt with me in the I win game!

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

Posted : 02/03/2006 12:48 am
(@plot36)
Eminent Member

Greetings from a fellow (albeit older :( ) left-handed newbie. My experience is that your choice of guitars is going to be limited - not necessarily because they aren't available, but because the shop doesn't hold them as stock (the "10% of your customers are left-handed yet less than 1% of your guitars are" line doesn't wash I'm afraid). But, it is really important to try a number of different ones - I took the only one the shop had - a Cort G250 - which is a good guitar, but having subsequently had the chance to try a LH Pacifica 112, I wish I'd had the choice when buying. The Pacifica costs less (probably within your budget) but more importantly feels easier (for me) to play. I have small hands and with the Cort have some difficulty muting the low E with my thumb without also muting the high E. On the Pacifica - no such problem. I think it must be down to the shape of the neck. Anyway, my point is - if the shop doesn't have a lot of choice, resist the urge to buy there and then - walk away and try somewhere else. Sorry, for such a long-wided, rambling post, but good luck!

Posted : 03/03/2006 12:40 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

thats awsume

Good luck to u

AND.....
hey twisted lefty! I haven't seen u around lately...Come outta whatever hole you've been in and kick bish's butt with me in the I win game!

Stop ragging on people.

But this is a bonus. You are now admitting defeat and having to call in backup troops.....

Heeheeh

Come into the water, Raggy! :D

Bish

Posted : 03/03/2006 12:58 pm
Page 1 / 2