Clear all

The Fix is in!

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@fixer)
Topic starter

Hey folks,

Another new member here! I've been lurking for a month or so, and it looks like you've got a good community going. I'm 37, on my second attempt at learning guitar. I played trumpet through grade school and high school, so fortunately I have basic music reading skills. However, moving from an instrument that plays one note at a time to one that can play, well, more than one, is really brain twisting at times.

My starter guitar is an Epi Les Paul standard with the Epi 15R amp from that starter pack they offer. It's been fun so far, more successful than my prior attempt ten years ago. Muscially I like classical, big band/swing, and rock. Some fave artists are Louis Jordan, the Beatles, R.E.M., and Barenaked Ladies.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself before I start asking all those noob questions. :)

Posted : 20/06/2007 5:38 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Howdy Fix! Where in VA are you located?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 20/06/2007 5:42 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Fixer, and welcome to GN! Looks like Slejhmmer's after a jam buddy.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/06/2007 5:52 pm
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

Welcome Fixer. I didn't know her, much less that she needed fixin' :wink:

Enjoy the forum, but be sure to also check out the lessons pages. There is a wealth of info. to be had.

Take care,
Wyle
:)

Posted : 20/06/2007 5:56 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Fixer:

Welcome to the board. Lots of great information and friendly people here (well, mostly friendly)!

I am also a big R.E.M. fan - Peter Buck is agreat, but often overlooked guitarist/writer.

Posted : 20/06/2007 6:43 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Fixer! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/06/2007 7:11 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Fixer.

Hope ur fixen' to stick around a spell..... :shock: What?!! Someone had to say it. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 20/06/2007 8:23 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hi Fixer, the nice thing about guitar is that you CAN play one note at a time, OR play several together, and you can even sing while playing :)

Posted : 20/06/2007 9:25 pm
(@fixer)
Topic starter

Hey slejhamer! - I'm in the Fairfax area - where there are more cars than people. :) How about yourself?

Posted : 21/06/2007 3:02 pm
(@fixer)
Topic starter

Fixer:

Welcome to the board. Lots of great information and friendly people here (well, mostly friendly)!

I am also a big R.E.M. fan - Peter Buck is agreat, but often overlooked guitarist/writer.

Thanks for the welcome, and agreed on Buck - great musicians all around.
Hi Fixer, the nice thing about guitar is that you CAN play one note at a time, OR play several together, and you can even sing while playing :)

Play multiple notes and sing? Good lord, you're mad! Perhaps after I get that 3rd brain hemisphere transplant. :?

Thanks for to all others for the welcomes - even those who couldn't resist the obvious puns on my supercool user name. :wink:

Posted : 21/06/2007 3:11 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey slejhamer! - I'm in the Fairfax area - where there are more cars than people. :) How about yourself?
Not too far! Ashburn area. 8) But yeah, cars and traffic ... :cry:

If you like Peter Buck, maybe you also like Roger McGuinn? One of my personal faves ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 21/06/2007 3:49 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Fixer.

Good to have you aboard.

See you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 21/06/2007 3:52 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Fixer. Welcome to GN.

Denny

Posted : 21/06/2007 4:53 pm
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Welcome Fixer I'm sure you'll enjoy it around here.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Posted : 21/06/2007 9:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Fixer! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/06/2007 3:00 am
Page 1 / 2