Clear all

Goodbye, for now

25 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I finished learning a song today. One of which I can play in time and at full tempo. I should've been proud but I wasn't. Why? Because the song was so simple. Normally, how complicated a song is would have no effect on me but now it does.

I think a lot of these ‘Greatest Guitarist' posts. people bashing bands I enjoy because they play simple music and the snobasaruses are taking their toll on me. It worries me because the last thing I want is to be unable to enjoy good sounding music just because it's not difficult to play. Whether it be someone else playing it or me playing it.

GN has been invaluable to me, especially when I was just starting out. Before I came on, I didn't know there was such a thing as a chord, or that they had specific names. And I'm not just saying that. I really didn't know what chords were. But it seems to be having a negative effect on me as of late. I am sorry if this offends anyone or sounds silly but it's how I feel.

So I've decided to take a break. I'm not sure how long. I figure however long it takes for my guitar playing to improve. But more importantly, to get back to playing something because I like it and it's fun, rather than someone else will think of it.

Again, don't take offense to this. The problem is more with me than GN.

I want to thank everyone on here for their help. I don't think I'd be where I am at now if it weren't for you. Whether it's guitar playing, song writing, theory or anything in-between.

I'll be back, I don't know when but I'll bring some recordings with me.

Posted : 20/04/2006 12:10 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

OWA, you have been a breath of fresh air around here imo.
you will be missed, hurry back.
hope to chat u up on msn now and then

#4491....

Posted : 20/04/2006 12:19 am
(@Anonymous)

OWA,

First I really think you should reconsider completely leaving guitar playing. I know you'll miss it because of all the passion you put into your responses here on GN and that you always stick to your morals. Maybe just put the guitar down for a few days and let it "call you back" kind of like an ex you're still in love with...LOL! (Sorry bad joke!)

I know I have had these thoughts cross my mind...and it usually was because I was OVER playing. I put so much pressure on myself to "keep up" with the others on this forum in regards to how long they have been playing and what they can do. Once I removed that pressure the guitar became so much fun! When there is a day when I don't feel like playing...and they do occur once in a blue moon...I can leave the guitar alone until the next day. I always come running back! I recently took a month off (mostly because of self pity I have been feeling in my personal life) and when I returned to the guitar I haven't been able to put it down and songs I once thought of as hard are much easier to play.

Who cares what other people think about how easy a song is. I just learned how to play Paranoid which is probably the EASIEST rock song around. This is after NINE months of playing. I love the song and I wanted to play it...period. I could care less what anyone thinks.

I have always enjoyed your posts even if I didn't reply. You were one of the one's I was trying to "keep up with" since you started about a month after me. I do not want to see you leave GN nor the guitar! In my perspective you always came across as a strong woman who didn't really care what others thought about her. Your confidence always preceeded you!

Why don't you sleep on it for a day (or 2 or 3!) and reconsider. I know you will come running back to your EX....or in this case your AXE!!

Posted : 20/04/2006 12:23 am
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Twisted and Mike said some great things. You will be missed if you do leave, and I hope that you do reconsider. You shouldn't worry about keeping up with others, or having to be at a certain level.

With that being said, it is your decision, and if you do leave, good luck, and hurry back. We'll be waiting for you.

P.S. Have fun with your new Explorer!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 20/04/2006 12:32 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This is something I need to do, but thank you for your support.

And just to clarify, I am taking a break from GN, not the guitar. During this break, I still will be playing.

Posted : 20/04/2006 12:35 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hurry back ASAP :!: We will miss you, but keep on playing :D BTW, nothing wrong with simple music :!: I love the blues and folks like the Ramones too.And Nirvana DID save us from hair metal :lol: Rock-n-roll IS simple music, Nothing wrong with that 8) Take care of yourself--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/04/2006 1:03 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I made OWA promise me that she'd be back as soon as playing got to be fun again and I'm going to hold her to it!! :D

We're going to miss you while you're gone!! Perhaps some of the narrower minds here will open up a bit in the meantime!! We still better find you on MSN, though! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 20/04/2006 1:24 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good jamming, OWA.

Yes, you will be missed. :(

I hope you keep in touch and bring back some great music for us to hear.

Take care!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 20/04/2006 1:33 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Take care OWA, you will be missed. :(

Good luck with your guitar playing and with your music.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/04/2006 2:06 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

We all do from time to time. Don't sweat it, you'll be back before you know it.

Take care!

Mike

Posted : 20/04/2006 2:13 am
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Well, OWA, I'm gonna miss your enthusiasm and your point of view. Even if we sometimes disagreed (and frankly, I find people I disagree with more interesting than those I completely agree with :) ) I really did enjoy your posts.

Hurry back!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 20/04/2006 2:24 am
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

We'll miss you here at GN and look forward to your return.

I hope you accomplish a lot on your break.

Take care til then.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 20/04/2006 4:34 am
(@alangreen)

Don't forget, GN has lesson pages too and there's some great stuff there to keep you busy.

Keep in touch.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 20/04/2006 10:26 am
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

bye for now!!

Posted : 20/04/2006 10:34 am
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Sometimes a break can be a good thing. Enjoy it but more importantly enjoy playing. Regain your focus and then charge ahead! Good luck!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 20/04/2006 1:40 pm
Page 1 / 2