Clear all

I got to play by a camp fire

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I finally got to play my camp-fire style of guitar in front of a camp-fire. Amongst other toys brought to the mountains, I had my Breedlove acoustic complete with a fresh set of three-day old strings.

My wife and I vacationed 6-7 hours away from home on top of a mountain at a lovely mountain house. It was so nice that we didn't get off the mountain until day 4 and once more on day 6. We did the camp-fire pit thing on the foldy chairs and I decided to break out the guitar. She suggested a few songs and I played some others. I did a couple songs at a time, set it down, played again, etc, etc. Just the two of us. In no order and to the best of my memory:

Angie - da 'Stones
Unknown Legend - Neil Young
Old Man - Neil Young
Brain Damage/Eclipse - 'Floyd
Cripple Creek - the Band
A made up Blues song - but with happy lyrics - to the tune of Robert Johnson's "Love in Vain Blues"
Folsom Prison Blues - Cash
Tangerine - Led Zep
the Thank You Song - Led Zep (done in the Chris Cornell style, minus the skill)
Midnight Special - CCR
Not too many more, IIRC

It's pretty amazing that I can do at least 200 songs doing the strummy versions, but I couldn't think of them when I needed to remember. I put a lot of pressure on myself sometimes.

It also would have been fun to have more people than just the two of us for my first campfire playing. Then again, it was just perfect. We ended up letting the fire cool down, then we put it out and went from fire to the lighted hot tub looking out over the sparsly light valleys in our three-state view and the bright stars overhead. A perfect ending to a perfect vacation.

Only two Migraines all week. A VERY nice bonus and much needed break.

A couple of pics:
It's hard to start a day any prettier than this.

And the mid-day sky. Even on a clear day, the Great Smokie Mountains and surrounding mountains all have that haze thing going.

And what is a pretty day without a sun-set? This one is a bit touched up. An artistic license. :)

(It's really not too far off from the original. I wanted a bit more orange. I love my 12 year old version of photoshop)

I had to include this one as it's pretty much the same angle and scene I was playing against, but just the night before. This is about 2-second exposure, IIRC.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/09/2012 1:50 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

WOW thats great Roy!~!! I tell you, im lucky to live in the country, and have some space, and I get to sit down, and have a little fire in the fire pit when ever we want... Wile my view is nice.... its nothing like that!!!!! also my wife doest realy want anything to do with music, so sitting around strumming isnt realy a option.. Glad you had a great time and were inspired to play to boot!!!

Paul B

Posted : 24/09/2012 2:37 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I forgot to mention that being down in the valley driving route 64 along towards and into Tennessee reminds me a good bit of Upstate, NY. Parts of Route 20 west of you, except for maybe more like 30 years ago when more businesses were open. :cry: Maybe mix in some of the I-88 & Rt-7 corridor, say west of Cobleskill 'till probably 1/2 way in between Oneonta and Binghampton.

I miss the countryside in many ways. I wish that area was closer to home. However, we do have other areas 1/2 the distance that we have not checked out yet. We'll check at least one or two of them out next year.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/09/2012 3:14 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I know the area well!! that area along the valley is real pretty!!! Im pretty happy where I am.. Im smack in the center between the hudson valley and the berkshire foothills. It would be perfect if it wasnt for the high taxes and lack of jobs in NY!!!!

Paul B

Posted : 24/09/2012 4:54 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It is pretty down there! (NY State) You guys ever been up in the Adirondacks? Thats pretty cool too. Sounds like you had a nice little vacation there Roy!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 24/09/2012 9:01 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds like a great time! Add another 3.5 hours and you could have come by my place and jammed. :D Where in the Smokies did you stay?

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 25/09/2012 2:19 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It would be perfect if it wasnt for the high taxes and lack of jobs in NY!!!!
Well, it wasn't like I really wanted to leave. Sort of had to leave.
You guys ever been up in the Adirondacks?
I ridden the region a few times, most recently in 2007. I love riding there. It's all mountain roads, of course, but easily navigated ones. That makes for quite a relaxing motorcycle ride.
Sounds like a great time! Add another 3.5 hours and you could have come by my place and jammed. Where in the Smokies did you stay?
We were just south and west of the Smokies as I understand them. Murphy, NC. I could easily live there if not for my profession whenever I get back into the swing of things. Programmers don't get much call deep in the sticks. :cry:

Roy

Posted : 25/09/2012 2:50 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

It would be perfect if it wasnt for the high taxes and lack of jobs in NY!!!!
Well, it wasn't like I really wanted to leave. Sort of had to leave.

ry:
You from NY?

Funny. Born within 20 min of wear I live now and love the area, but been looking into NC for the last few years. People say its a lot like the northeast, just shorter winters, and hotter summers. Booth I can live with!!!!!

Sorry about the sidetrack here...

Campfires and playing just go together don't they?

Paul B

Posted : 25/09/2012 4:01 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I work in the building where I was born. :lol: However, I wouldn't mind North Carolina at all. There are lots of jobs up here for me. None for most people though. My wife is still looking. I made the right career choice for finding jobs. Sometimes I don't know if thats good or bad. :lol:

Posted : 25/09/2012 7:29 pm
(@aurora)
Trusted Member

Wow, gorgeous pics! One of my goals is to eventually play around a campfire too. We live in a town on the south shore of Lake Superior so we have plenty of chances. Thanks for posting!

A guitar has moonlight in it. ~ James M. Cain

Posted : 25/09/2012 9:15 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Very cool story, Roy!

Pictures to match.

That looks like some nice desktop wallpaper right there.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 25/09/2012 10:50 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, all. It sure was a good time.

I'll post a couple of shots of our riding group in Upstate, NY. I organized & led 3 small motorcycle rides from Raleigh to Maine, Vermont and Niagara Falls area. 7, 13 and 18 riders. We bit off 2,950 miles in the Maine trip and about 2,500 miles each for the other 2. There are no straight roads on motorcycle trips. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The destination for these trips were almost arbitrary. Lobster, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Cuban Cigars.
You from NY?
4-5 years from ages 16 to 20 or so. 75 miles west of Albany. Also did time in Coby-land. Ahhh, the memories. :D

TR, your profession can go anywhere. Mine can go only big metro areas for the most part. That's alright, though. It makes vacations really fun. (that was weak. sigh!)
but been looking into NC for the last few years. People say its a lot like the northeast, just shorter winters, and hotter summers. Booth I can live with!!!!!
I'm not sure how much like the North East it is, but I will say that it sure does hurt a lot less in midwinter down here than it does up there. We pay for it, though, with a lot of intense heat and humidity in the summer. I played a lot of morning golf in the summer time. Afternoon baseball games were murder, though. I remember more than one 95F-100F degree day.

Roy

Posted : 26/09/2012 12:47 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

We were just south and west of the Smokies as I understand them. Murphy, NC. I could easily live there if not for my profession whenever I get back into the swing of things. Programmers don't get much call deep in the sticks. :cry:

I believe my boys and I drove through there when we took the long way around from Gatlinburg to Chattanooga. It's a beautiful drive down through that part of NC.

I always forget you and I have the same profession.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 26/09/2012 2:33 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Are you guys are number crunchers? My wife just graduated college with an associates in accounting. I am a butt wiper. :lol: An $80,000.00 a year butt wiper but a butt wiper none the less. :P Well, I do save a life or two along the way. :roll:

Posted : 26/09/2012 3:06 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Are you guys are number crunchers? My wife just graduated college with an associates in accounting. I am a butt wiper. :lol: An $80,000.00 a year butt wiper but a butt wiper none the less. :P Well, I do save a life or two along the way. :roll:

I work at a car dealer.... some would say I do the same. :D :D

Paul B

Posted : 26/09/2012 8:44 am
Page 1 / 2