Clear all

My first time

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hope this is the right forum to use. I wanted to share my first "performance" experience with people who can appreciate the feelings I had.

I've been playing for about 10 months, doing most of it on my own. I think I've progressed pretty well and I really enjoy it. However, I have not "performed" for anyone and mostly just the family has heard me play.

We went to a Halloween party on Saturday night that featured a small two-piece band. There were about 60 party-goers in attendance. As the night wore on (and everyone, including me, had a few more drinks in them), the party's host joined the band to play drums on a song. Some of my friends started poking me to get up and play with the band (with the band extending an invite to me). Considering that (a) I've never played before an audience like this, (b) I had quite a bit to drink, (c) I didn't know the song they were playing, and (d) I was absolutely petrified, I politely declined and endured some freindly ribbing. Then my wife hit me with a devastating comment, "At least you talk a good game." Well, I am not a "talk a good game" guy. Never have been.

As I stewed on it for a few minutes, the band started playing "Blister In The Sun," a song I can play well and a song that is a lot of fun. My wife, who has heard me playing this tune to death, gave me a look. That was it. The next thing I knew, I had their spare guitar in hand and was playing in front of that audience. I'm pretty sure I did a decent job. At least my friends were polite enough to tell me so. :D

It was exhilarating, frightening, and potentially humiliating. Since I'm a trial lawyer, those feelings are very familiar and similar to the feelings I get when a trial starts. But this was a bit different. With trials, I'm trained and in my expert element. Not so for playing the guitar. I was so scared, but having done it for the first time, I felt immense satisfaction (and relief).

I gratefully thanked the band, my wife and my friend who was pestering me the most.

It was an amazing experience I will not forget (even though I'd been drinking). I think some people even took some pictures of me rocking to the Violent Femmes dressed as a pirate. Can't wait to see them.

Thanks for letting me get this out to a group of people who can appreciate the experience.

Posted : 30/10/2006 5:08 pm
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

It's always good to get one under your belt. :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

Posted : 30/10/2006 5:34 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good for you. you get more props for going up there than for excellence in playing...uh, quite the opposite from your field of work Id say. :wink:
the next time will feel even better.

I bet you had a rush being up there. and I bet it stuck around the next day; being in your thoughts despite a hangover.

I did a similar thing with a brand new wife (long ago). she knew I had an interest in guitar, but she was blown away by how good I actually played. (Ive been in bands so it wasnt too much like a raw experience). but all her friends that I just met and she were quite happy.

and afterwards alone with the wife one reaps the rewards.

wink wink nudge nudge

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 30/10/2006 5:37 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

wink wink nudge nudge

She let you buy a new guitar? COOL!!!!

Good job, iraesq. Next time maybe there won't be as much of a kick in the pants to get you up on stage.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 30/10/2006 6:19 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

wink wink nudge nudge

She let you buy a new guitar? COOL!!!!

Reminds me of that time Rocker went out behind his wifes back and bought, and returned a Strat, all in the same day...then she let him get a new one.

Good job on the performance though iraesq. It's always good to get the first one down

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 30/10/2006 7:13 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Reminds me of that time Rocker went out behind his wifes back and bought, and returned a Strat, all in the same day...then she let him get a new one.

I'm not sure he's fully recovered from that yet. He hasn't been on much lately. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 30/10/2006 7:15 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

That is a good experience iraesq!
next time will be easier - keep on rockin' !

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 30/10/2006 7:28 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yeah. there is great fun getting up and playing guitar in front of everyone for ones debut.

as for me getting a guitar...no. only after the divorce did I load up. have eleven now.

and where is that guy with the guilty strat buy?

Posted : 30/10/2006 7:29 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats on getting up there. Good job

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/10/2006 8:38 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I am not a "talk a good game" guy. Never have been.

I like your attitude.

You know, your wife is a lot smarter than you. She knew EXACTLY what to say to get you up there. :wink:

Congrats on your first gig, keep on going.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 30/10/2006 8:46 pm
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks, all. It was a lot of fun and a unique experience in my life....you always remember your first time, right? (Bish, I'm sure it won't take so much coaxing next time).

Dogbite, you are absolutely right about the rush....I can still feel it today.

Wes, you are right about my wife and how she knew just where to hit me. The funny thing was I had given her a lot grief earlier in the night for "toning down" on her slutty pirate costume, basically telling her that if she was going for a certain look, she should just go for it and not try to do it half-way. Not only did she challenge my "act, not talk" attitude, she made me feel like a hypocrite for my earlier admonishment of her. Wives are great that way, huh?

Posted : 30/10/2006 8:58 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

iraesq

If you can post a pic of yourself playing, could you also post a pic of your super-smart wife in her "slutty" pirate costume?? :D

Wow, looks and brains, you did alright with her.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 30/10/2006 9:16 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

she made me feel like a hypocrite for my earlier admonishment of her. Wives are great that way, huh?

Pros at it I would say. :) And I second Wes request that you post her in her slutty costume. That will show her. LOL :oops:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/10/2006 9:46 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nothing like a little inspiration in the form of a dagger in your back. I think that's about what I'll need to get up in front of people. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/10/2006 9:20 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that rush you feel last a long time. I am happy for you.
of course you need to find a situation where you can play, er, 'fix' yourself again.

I second the pics of the costume motion too. but would settle for a pic of you playing.

Posted : 31/10/2006 1:03 pm
Page 1 / 2