Clear all

Nick plays his own office party

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A week ago I was asked to play my own office party. The party committee had heard I was good....but best of all.....free. I agreed, not knowing many Christmas songs but wanting to live life on the edge.

So I collected several from here: Silent Night - instrumental, We Three Kings - jazzy instrumental version, I figured out the version David plays at the end of the lesson, and What Child is this...

...and several from about the internet: Blue Christmas, Have yourself a merry little Christmas, Silver Bells, Let it Snow, Winter Wonderland, White Christmas, and a finger busting version of Carol of the Bells.

I also threw in one of my originals, Without Words. I played for an hour, took a break, played another half hour, another break and a final half hour. I went through the entire list 3 or 4 times.

It was very, very well received.

If anyone wants tabs of these as I did them, let me know.

Posted : 12/12/2008 12:59 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you (and they!) had a great time. Congrats!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 12/12/2008 1:14 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's cool, Nick!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/12/2008 3:25 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Nick! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 12/12/2008 11:15 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

That's awesome Nick!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/12/2008 1:15 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Good job Nick! What I've discovered is that most of the songs I know are the religious ones. Must have something to do with those 12 years of Catholic School.
I would have been nice if hey at least offered a token payment for the performance though. I am so sick of giving it away!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 12/12/2008 1:44 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Great news Nick !

You also get to be the office star that way. 8)

Posted : 12/12/2008 1:59 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Nice to have a repertoir of Christmas tunes. I would like to get your tab of" White Christmas" as I have been trying to figure out how to play a recognizable form for one guitar so I can play it at Christmas to show everyone that I can play something after 5 years. Would appreciate your posting as the Easy song data base is thin regarding Xmas tunes. Thanx
Glad you had a good time at your office soiree!!
Robbie

Posted : 12/12/2008 3:41 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

WHITE CHRISTMAS

Irving Berlin

A Asus4 A Asus2 Bm7 E7

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

D E7 A E7

Just like the ones I used to know

A A7

Where the tree-tops glisten

D Dm7

And children listen

A Asus4 A Asus2 Bm7 E7

to hear sleigh-bells in the snow

A Asus4 A Asus2 Bm7 E7

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

D E7 A E7

With every Christmas card I write

A Amaj7 A7 D Dmaj7 Dm7

May your days be merry and bright

A D E7 A

And may all your Christmases be white

I've seen way too complex versions of this song. I think it's best as a simple chord based accompaniment with strong vocals.

There are three main identifiable musical hooks:

The duplication of "dreaming of a white" melody line. I saw this played as chords in a chord melody tab I found. I replaced the chords with the simple A-Asus4-A-Asus2 Bm7 riff.
Play the A, put down the pinky to fret the B string third fret - Asus4, strum
lift the pinky gets you back to A, strum,
lift the ring finger or whatever is fretting B second fret to play it open, Asus2 strum
play Bm7 to complete the phrase

The second musical idea is just to play the A to A7 on "tree tops glisten"

The third is the descending chord line on the second verse A, Amaj7, A7 followed by D, Dmaj7, Dm7 Milk those two for all they are worth.

Don't speed through it. Let the beauty of the song sell it.

Posted : 12/12/2008 6:07 pm
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Thanx for that Nick, will try incorporate some of those ideas into my version. I play it in C so have to transpose some chords and see how the sus4s etc work out. Will let you know if I have something positive. Once again thanx for your time
Robbie

Posted : 12/12/2008 6:55 pm
(@alangreen)

Did you play your most famous very rude song?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 13/12/2008 8:41 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hah....no, that would have hit too close to home.

Posted : 13/12/2008 10:08 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice job, Nick. I think it's pretty cool learning - and getting them to a playable standard - all those songs for just a one-off performance. Well, probably not a one-off, you'll be asked again to do 'em all again next year!

And the one odd song out on the set-list - Without Words? Hell, nothing like a little shameless blatant sel-promotion is there!

Well done!

:D :D :D

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/12/2008 3:05 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great job! In a just world that should really be worth a promotion or a raise. Heck, why not both. :)

Kudos for all that preparation and effort. Not to mention the small matter of all those many hundreds of hours which you put in over previous years that gave you the tools to do such a job..... Memo to self: work harder, play longer, concentrate more... and, who knows, maybe next Christmas.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 15/12/2008 6:21 am
Page 1 / 2