23 Users
0 Likes
12.2 K Views
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Taken from powertabs.net:

"Tab Downloading Disabled
Due to the aggressive stance that the MPA is planning against tablature/lyrics websites (see here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm ) we have had to take the unfortunate decision to suspend the downloading of tablature for the immediate future whilst we clarify our legal position. The PTA was founded as a learning resource for musicians and the PTA staff makes NO money from running the PTA but we do not wish to break the law and risk legal action against us. User Compositions will be unaffected and will still be hosted here at the PTA. We appreciate all your comments/support in the PTA forum. Thank you for your understanding. The PTA Staff."

It is impossible to download tabs now from this site. Mxtabs isn't working either and now I'm worried they'll close down all tab sites. Why :x :!:
I understand that tabs with copyright shouldn't be on the internet, but why shouldn't people be able to share when they have figured out how to play a song? In what way does it harm anyone? I know it's good to figure out songs by yourself, but powertabs are a great way to learn and helps if you get stuck.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

Posted : 16/12/2005 1:09 pm
(@alangreen)

Sadly this is a case of greedy lawyers and chargeable hours.

I hope Powertab can sort this out, the world would be a darker place without them.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 16/12/2005 1:22 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Check this thread and you will get a feel for what is going on http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=20076

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 16/12/2005 1:25 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I was just going to post the same thing!

I just got back from ptab.

:( :? :( :evil: :evil: :evil:

A very pissed,

Mike! :evil:

*@*& ^$(* @^$*^ @*& !)(*& $)* &^ @ *!&^@)!*&^ @$*& ^!*^ #)*#_%^$^(@*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted : 16/12/2005 1:32 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I noticed this last night, as well. I don't know when corporate people are gonna learn...

Oh, wait, yeah I do. They are gonna learn when they finally piss enough people off that their bottom lines start to hurt. Problem is that 95% of the people could care less if the CD they but has a rootkit, or that they sue someone for posting a version of a song one of their artists wrote.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 16/12/2005 1:44 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

very disappointing

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 16/12/2005 2:07 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've spent the last 45 minutes or so over at mysongbook getting the GP files I want before they go away too ... might be worth buying the new version and getting the whole 40,000 tab archive with it - but you'd better hurry.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 16/12/2005 2:43 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I thought something was up when i woke up with a horses head in my bed this morning :shock:

#4491....

Posted : 16/12/2005 2:52 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

@$%#%@$%$&$&&%^&%*%*%*(#%*%*%*%^%^&

Yes that's my reaction.

But i already have powertab on my computer. :wink:

Rahul

Posted : 16/12/2005 5:11 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

But i already have powertab on my computer. :wink:

Rahul
You have every powertab on your computer??? Or do you mean the Powertab Editor software?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 16/12/2005 5:47 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Rahul, If you have every ptab on your pc, then I'm your new best friend! :lol:

:wink:

Posted : 16/12/2005 6:33 pm
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It bothers me when a site just gives up before they're even challenged.

Goiing after sites with lyrics and tabs is so pointless anyway -- the MPA may not have noticed, but there are these things called peer to peer networks, and you can put tabs up on those even more easily than you can put them on a web site.

Posted : 16/12/2005 8:09 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Goiing after sites with lyrics and tabs is so pointless anyway -- the MPA may not have noticed, but there are these things called peer to peer networks, and you can put tabs up on those even more easily than you can put them on a web site.

most likely they recieved a "cease and desist" order and their lawyers made the call that fighting it would be more costly than restructuring.
hopefully they will find a legal way to allow tabs

#4491....

Posted : 16/12/2005 8:15 pm
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

most likely they recieved a "cease and desist" order and their lawyers made the call that fighting it would be more costly than restructuring.
hopefully they will find a legal way to allow tabs
That's not what the quoted text above appears to be saying. Going by that, it sounds like they just got scared.

Posted : 17/12/2005 12:07 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Agreed! Self-censorship is the most malignant growth of our times. In ever greater numbers people are becoming disillusioned with and afraid of the corporate powers. Governments won't have to regulate the Internet if users live in fear and censor their own thoughts and actions.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 17/12/2005 1:02 am
Page 1 / 3