Clear all

Putting Lipstick on a Hog

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

That's about what I'm doing these days. Putting lipstick on a pig.

The Short Version
I made my home spare-bedroom/office studio into a better home recording studio. Lots of new functionality and capabilities.

The Long Version
Before I start, I'm sorry about the length of this. I've been working on this for almost an entire month. I made a lot of changes in my office studio. I've described the journey from "need" to delivery and some of the set-up below. I do hope at least a couple of you read it. I could have broken it out into various threads, but I decided that i would write one thread to give you the hollistic view and approach that I took when planning it all out. I really did design this in that approach, and did so with an eye towrds expandability of I ever need it. Doubt that I will, but who knows.

The Announcement
In spirit or TR's Man Cave update, I've got an update of my own to announce. My make-shift home studio has officially become Home Studio & Live Jam Space V2.0 and is fast being assembled and installed.

The Needs
I spent a good deal of time searching out what would fit me the best down the road as a guitar-centric home studio dweller, but be able to record some of the occasional jams or bits of playing when two or more of us get in here.

First thing's first, I had to choose a new interface. I needed a way to handle the drums and bass input lines.

Next up is guitar, of course. I either wanted to make a upgrade to my digital rig or go away from it completely. Stay tuned.

Next up is that I wanted a mic pre-amp and interface so that I didn't have to pickup vocals by placing the USB mic built for podcasts in front of the Behringer PA/Keyboard amp. I also wanted to be able to mic my tube amps.

I also wanted to pull the keyboard out of the closet and see what I could do. It's a cheapo Casio WK-1350 purchased at a wholesale club over 10 years ago.

The room is the biggest challenge. usable space is mere 124 inches X 127 inches. My last requirement was that a guitarist, bassist and drummer could play together and look at each other instead of the drummer facing the wall.

And finally, I wanted to get all my music song books and other instructional books all in one place.

The Research
Much of my research branch out of looking at the many articles on TweakzHeadz Lab site, but was certainly not limited to there. The Internet is a wonderful way to research things. I did have a budget, but it was based on thinking Active Monitors would be a lot cheaper than they are. A final budget-buster was that I was going to put a new set of head-phones on the list for the first upgrade shopping spree next year. Well, I broke mine on the day I set aside to make my order.

Some of the research was done right here in our forums. Laz had some advice on monitors for me, and many others in various threads and in other forums had different types of mics, monitors, interfaces, recording software and guitar processors, etc, etc. I also had to consider my ears and determine which size of speaker would give me the most detail at lower volumes.

The Decisions
I kept looking back at one piece of gear. The Eleven Rack by Digidesign/Avid. It supposedly could satisfy my cravings for a better digital sound. Even the boys at the GT-10 forum were raving about it. The more I dug into that unit, the more I discovered that I could do with it.

I could simultaneously run line ins from the little bass amp, MIDI in from the drum kit, Guitar in to the main guitar port, mic in for a vocalist and line in from either my Fender Super Champ XD (line output is on the back) or that keyboard I have. The coloring that the 11R does is only on the one guitar signal at a time, but you can set it to whatever input you want.

Simply put, for one price I could get most of what I wanted from a single unit, at least for now. It became the obvious center piece for the studio. The Eleven Rack (or 11R) was the first decision.

Everywhere I look here were people beating the drums of the Active Studio Monitor. I researched what I could get the most detail out of when playing it at the lowest volumes and went for the over-sized 8-inch variety. I did want to go with JBLs, but I could not quite pull that trigger. I went with Mackie MR8mk2 Monitors. Limited budget I'm afraid, but i am happy with the way these sound.

Up next was another mic. Something not super-cardioid like what I have. I got the Studio Projects B1 mic kit. I'll let you know how I like it when I set it up later this week.

Next up was my new set of cans. Headphones, as I call them. After doing a ton of last minute research, a lot of people everywhere I looked were raving about the mid-priced Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I don't think they are as comfortable as what people say, but I have needs beyond most in that department. They cetainly will work for small periods of time. Not all day, but then again, none will do all day. Sound? Simply fantastic.

I filled out the order with some studio essentials, such as bunch of cables to tie it all together, a short mic stand, monitor pads and an auxillery experssion pedal. (I have to sell my GT-10 to help finance this endeavor of mine.)

The Gear Spirits were on my side. I had, um, exceptional timing. Long story short, I ordered my gear about an hour or so after it was announced that I would not only get a 2 version upgrade of the Pro Tools 10 software for no additional cost. If I bought this a month ago, it would cost me $599 to upgrade from version 8LE to version 10.

Kind of like Christmas in October.

Putting it All Together
I had to do some re-arranging of my office and started right after I ordered the stuff. I did a little bit each day so that I didn't over do anything. All of the physycal attributes I wanted were acheived within this little room. The boxes came yesterday. I set my monitors up on some yard-sale found stands which are working great. I got the 11R set up and all the software should be set up and running by tomorrow. I have to wait for some security license key thing to come tomorrow. I can use the 8LE version right now to at least explore 11R's desktop functionality.

My first impression of the 11R is, simply put, "Wow!" (For reference, they refer to patches as "Rigs") I got only maybe about 30 rigs in out of 208 that are in there. Sweetwater had people including Joe Satriani create rigs to fill out the user slots. I can save them off and build my own when I know how. Back to what I got to play around with so far, though. I got 30 rigs deep into the factory "Rigs" and can say that there might be one that I could not use as is. One. The first one I hit took me a good half hour to play. I kept on playing and playing. I could not set it down. I would have several more like that. I have never imagined tones just so perfect. This is really a whole new experience for me. The 11R is worth the price of admission alone, without the PT-10 software. I'm very pleased.

Well, that's that. All that gear for my nasty sounding vocals and my poor guitar playing skill. Like I said in the thread's title, it's like putting lip stick on a hog.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/10/2011 1:11 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow Roy! Sounds like some nice stuff. I think we need some pictures of your studio. I used to play in one of my upstairs bedrooms and it had the same space constraints. My recording stuff is way on the low end, though I have not been into recording so much in a while. I look foreward to hearing some stuff from you! Enjoy!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 26/10/2011 5:12 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds great, tell me more about the 11R. Is this just an interface for recording with built in amp modelling or a rack mount multi effects? Who makes it?

Ditto on some pix, I'm living my electronics life vicariously through you cuz besides all the usual excuses of no time, no patience and no cash, I just got back from my surgery and I'm just hoping to be able to use my finger again this is going to be a long rehab according to the doc.

So what else is left to purchase?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 26/10/2011 6:41 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

This does sound great Roy! Keep us updated as progress progresses :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 26/10/2011 8:02 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! It's been fun so far today. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think we need some pictures of your studio.
Gimme a day or two to finish up. I've still got a think or two to set up and there's only so much I can do at once. Very soon.
Sounds great, tell me more about the 11R. Is this just an interface for recording with built in amp modelling or a rack mount multi effects? Who makes it?
It's made by Digidesign/Avid. I'd say it's a rack-mount multi-effects guitar processor first and foremost just because that's what it is to me. Sweetwater has a bunch of videos.

I've still got a great deal of learning to do, which is like shoving a banana through a cinder-block these days, but so far so good. I'll save a full review for about 2 or 3 months from now, but I'll say this much so far. There are two words jump into my head that best describe the patches or "Rigs" as they call them. Useful and clarity. Even the mega over-driven ones. You hear the the tones on radios and everything is so crisp and clear. That's what I get out of this that I did not out of the last 2 units. Not on just about every patch or setting. I cannot get over how usable these patches or "Rigs" are. Even through my cheapo backup headphones.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/10/2011 8:10 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Give yourself more credit buddy, you're doing a great job! I'm happy that some things are going your way. Keep it all up! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 26/10/2011 9:49 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Go Roy!

Good to hear that you've got an Eleven rack now. I agree about the quality of the effects and it's a bonus being able to do the settings either on the computer screen or using proper knobs on the unit. Very versatile piece of kit.

Good to hear you got PT 10. I got the old 8LE, but it seems to do everything that I need. One of the 'extras' with it should be Melodyne, so by the time you've worked through all the things that proTools and Melodyne can do with everything up to and including vocals you'll have an incredibly powerful set up there.

I've been working along similar lines for the past year, slowly upgrading my gear, so I'l have to sort out some pics too. All I need now is the talent.... :roll: :wink:

Have fun with the new setup, and don't take too long with the pics and sound clips! :mrgreen:

Chris

Posted : 27/10/2011 1:57 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Here are a few pics.

Off to the left side of my desk.

Off to the right. A great yard sale find. The black table added bought me some much needed space. Two small amps fit underneath just fine.

Behind the electronic drum kit. Room for the drummer to sit behind the set instead of with his back towards the room.

And finally, a view from the desk towards the back of the room. I HATE the carpet saver for my chair. It was straight yesterday.

Roy

Posted : 27/10/2011 5:04 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

That has settled it.

I'm coming to live with you!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 27/10/2011 5:59 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

:lol: :lol:

Well, I guess as long as you bring a casio AC adapter for the keys. I swear I put it somewhere safe..... :roll:

Roy

Posted : 27/10/2011 6:04 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Looks nice. Nice layout. You fit a lot of stuff into a small space. I have a 1/4 of the stuff, and twice the room, and its a mess, and I cant find anything!!!!

Paul B

Posted : 27/10/2011 6:12 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nice pix, cool room. Now i remember why that 11R tweaked my interest Chris had posted about it a few months back .

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 27/10/2011 6:25 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nice looking guitar there, Paul. I had to look over to make sure mine was still there. :lol: :lol:

Nah, it's more of a case of selective photography than anything else. It gets messy, and in quick fashion too.

Roy

Posted : 27/10/2011 6:27 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thanks Roy! I finly figured out how to post pics here. :D

Paul B

Posted : 27/10/2011 6:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, cnev. I wish I had that basement room of yours. Basements are hard to come by down here. We have the room above the garage thing going on, but i turned it into a teen-pad for the youngling. I'm in no hurry for him to move out, so I'm hoping for the small confines for quite some time. 8) 8)

Roy

Posted : 27/10/2011 6:34 pm
Page 1 / 2