Skip to content
So Simon Cowell is ...

Notifications
Clear all

So Simon Cowell is good for something after all....

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Saturday, December 13th - the eventual X-Factor winner, who isn't important so we'll ignore her, sings Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah!" in the final - a week later, Sunday Dec 20th, she's at #1 with it.

FACT - Jeff Buckley never came close to denting the UK charts - on the same day, his version of Hallelujah enters the charts at #2.

FACT - Leonard Cohen's never come close to a top 40 hit, either - until now. HIS version's #35. So thanks to Mr Cowell (never thought I'd say that!) the Great British record-buying public has finally been made aware of two talented people who've been previously criminally ignored.

Got to love the X-Factor - it's such an easy target to poke fun at. Louis Walsh was criticising Cheryl Cole for comparing JLS to Westlife, who he used to (and still might, for all I know!) manage - he said, "What's wrong with Westlife? They've had a fistful of #1 hits!" Errr, Louis I think she may have meant that they were bland, sickly sweet, nauseating and BORING!

My favourite moment? Louis Walsh to Eoghan (I've got pimples older than Eoghan. Hell, I've got pimples that weep less than him, and are more mature than him!) Quinn....."you ROCKED!" This from the manager of Westlife? He wouldn't know what a rock was if he was caught in a landslide!

And yes, I do try to avoid the programme if at all possible - but it's impossible to ignore when there's a TV in the kitchen and it co-incides with mealtimes.....

Oh well - at least it's finished for about six months or so. Maybe now I'll actually be able to keep a meal down on Saturdays.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/12/2008 9:42 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Is the X-Factor kinda like the X-Files?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 23/12/2008 10:48 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

I didnt watch much of this years but had watched a fair bit of previous series. Simon Cowell certainly knows a good tune but he does tend to keep using the same ones over and over. Love Jeff Buckleys cover of Hallelujah but I'm scared he will milk this song like he has Unchained Melody and Charlie Chaplins smile. Gareth Gates, Robson and Jerone, Steve Bernstein, emily vickers, no more please.

On a positive note though a few well needed royalty cheques for Leonard Cohen.

Ricochet the x factor is far more scary

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 23/12/2008 11:10 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I don't think we get X-Factor in the States.
But if Simon Cowell is in it, I assume it's something like our American Idol show (he is one of the judges)
One of the contestants also sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.
Jason Castro was real popular with the girls . . . he went further in the competition than he should have because of (what I call) the teeny-bopper voters.
Season starts again next month.
I look forward to it. It's very entertaining . . .
even the bad singers are entertaining . . . because I just can't believe people can sing that badly.

If I'm wrong about what X-Factor is, please ignore everything I typed above.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 23/12/2008 11:38 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

But if Simon Cowell is in it, I assume it's something like our American Idol show
Bang on the money, mate. God-awful singers doing cheesy (think Stilton or Gorgonzola) ballads?
Is the X-Factor kinda like the X-Files?

Not too far off! A bunch of weird people singing cheesy ballads, while waiting to be lifted to a higher plane of existence....

Basically, it's a bunch of talentless tossers - and believe me, I've heard far more real musical talent on the "Hear Here" forum of GN than I've ever hear on the TV....and that was just last week....! But then, you listen to the "people" (note inverted commas) "singing" (note inverted commas, again!) on the x-factor and you think....hmm, maybe I can sing after all. Maybe a semitone out's not too bad - they seemed to get away with it? And at least I'm in tune with the guitar? I can't be that bad, surely? Hello? Hello?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/12/2008 1:48 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The truth is out there.

Posted : 24/12/2008 6:30 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

The truth is out there.
Have you looked under your hat?

Not sure I want to know the truth . . . Fantasies are so much more fun.

But speaking of truth or reality and trying to get back on topic,
it is amazing to me that the bad singer's have no idea how bad they are.
They are genuinely surprised to hear they can't sing.
What I don't understand is,
Since they would have to be tone deaf not to hear how out of tune they are,
Can they really like music that much?
What are they doing trying to make a career in music?
What would music sound like to them if they can't distinguish tones?
Anyway, some of them get just down right (name calling) nasty when they are rejected.
I guess that's where they should have stuck with their fantasies and not be subjected to the harsh truth.
They were so much better in their fantasies. :D

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 24/12/2008 6:39 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The radio station I used to work for was a co-sponsor of a talent contest for several years.
I, being the station Engineer, was tasked with recording the whole multi-week extravaganza.
Out of 8 contestants a week for 2 months, there were some weeks that we were embarrassed to put the week's winner on the air.

Several of the worst contestants came back year after year, only to loose out each time. They loved singing, and loved music, but for whatever reason couldn't hear (even on the tape of their performance I provided each one) that they couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
Whatever, it makes them happy, and no one was permanently hurt. They may have even helped the bar sell more booze... One way or another. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 24/12/2008 11:25 pm
(@alangreen)

Whatever way you look at X-Factor, and all those similar shows, they're just glorified Karaoke

The absolute low point, though, must be Britney Spears' ghastly mime to some dreary song she'd apparently recorded. To allow somebody to mime on a show that preaches "live" performance was a mistake, and she should never have been allowed in the building.

I think the girl who won it deserved to win, and pulling a duet with Beyonce out of the hat in the final was probably the straw that broke the competition's back; even with her simple instruction at the start of the chorus to "Sing girl!" which prevented it all falling apart.

Absolute Radio have been playing the Jeff Buckley version on rotation since X-Factor, complete with the ad-lib introduction and masterful chord-melody solo. You won't hear the "winner's" version there. So, as Vic says, here's a toast - to Simon Cowell, the boy done good.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 25/12/2008 9:12 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Seems that winning the X-factor also brings with it the guarantee of the Xmas #1 spot; almost makes you long for the good old days of Bob The Builder and Mr Blobby, doesn't it!

(Well, not really........but you know what I mean!)

Vic

Posted : 25/12/2008 11:41 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

So, who is this guy?

#4491....

Posted : 25/12/2008 2:03 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

It's almost better to lose those competitions than to win it to me. If you look at the losers, they seem to have done way more than the winners save for Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson from American Idol. I believe with the exception of Jordan Sparx, no-one is under contract anymore and lost their deals because they couldn't sell records.

It seems to give you more credibility if you lose. Like Chris Daughtry from American Idol, and Miranda Lambert from Nashville Star, and Joey and Rory from Can you Duet. Joey, by the way, has the most beautiful female voice I think I've heard in a long long time

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 27/12/2008 4:02 am
(@crazysaw)

I was just wondering if Simon Cowell is laughing all the way to the bank Jeff Buckleys Hallelujah is I think released by Sony BMG, and Simon Cowell's own lable Syco have the Xfactor version of Hallelujah which is part of Sony BMG group.
maybe im wrong just wondered :)

Posted : 05/01/2009 7:51 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, Simon Cowell's making bundles.

Someone remind me what it is that he's good for after all?

Posted : 05/01/2009 8:22 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I was just wondering if Simon Cowell is laughing all the way to the bank Jeff Buckleys Hallelujah is I think released by Sony BMG, and Simon Cowell's own lable Syco have the Xfactor version of Hallelujah which is part of Sony BMG group.
maybe im wrong just wondered :)
Hopefully the current omnipresence of the song is doing some good for Leonard Cohen.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 05/01/2009 8:54 pm
Page 1 / 2