Trying the untried again

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Tonight, is another "first time in" for Hap Hazard.

We have a "biker bar" just south of the Quad Cities. Every Thursday they have bike night. All the local bikers come out to this place and it's a beer and braut fest. 400-500 bikes will cruise through during the course of the night. I've been here many times.

Tonight my band is in there for the first time.

I'll be taking my new drums and attempting to video if I can find a suitable place for the camera.

Wish me luck and if things go right, I'll post the video.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/04/2006 3:09 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

This time, can we have the guitarist in the video too? :lol:

Have fun, bud!

Mike

Posted : 29/04/2006 3:16 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Just don't knock over all the lined up bikes the way Pee Wee Herman did in his movie.

"I say we should let him go!" :D

My band played a new club last night. We had a pretty good crowd. During our last set a group of bikers came in, they looked pretty tough. Fortunately, we were playing some old heavies like Paranoid by Black Sabbath and Too Rolling Stoned by Robin Trower. They got into that.

Ever heard the jokes, You Know You Are Having a Bad Day When.... ?

You know you are having a bad day when your car horn gets stuck on as you are following a large group of bikers. :D

Have a great time. Play Born to Be Wild and Amy and they will love you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 29/04/2006 6:18 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Have a great time Bish! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 29/04/2006 8:46 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Break a leg, Bish! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 29/04/2006 10:02 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, all.

I got home a little while ago and am copying the videos to my computer. Once I get them uploaded to my server I'll post them for viewing.

The night was dark. :shock: :) It has been raining since yesterday and the gravel parking lot of the place was gravel muck. I got there with an hour to spare and the rest of the band was already set up. I brought my stuff in and setup.

With a low ceiling, brick walls and tile floor I knew playing quietly was going to be a challenge. We had a good time other than the room was very noisy. We had to tell the crowd to quiet down so we could hear ourselves. :roll:

There were a lot of people that showed up but no bikers. Go figure.

It went well as far as I could tell. We are scheduled there next month and so far they haven't called to cancel.

Wes, that horn joke is funny! Good one!!!!

I'll get the links to the vids as soon as I can.

Right now I'm thinking of going to bed. It's only 3:10AM but I hate hearing birds chirping when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Bish

Posted : 30/04/2006 8:07 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the gig Bish

The new place we played also had brick walls, and it was a little difficult to get our sound as well. They had their own PA and a young soundman who was not very experienced. But he was very nice and helpful. We gave him a tip at the end of the night. I could not hear myself in the monitors very well, made it a little difficult.

We were lucky on the weather. The last few months we have been getting cold and rain. Finally, we got a night with good weather and a pretty good crowd.

And you are right about expectations. You can never figure this stuff out. We almost never get people who promise to come to our shows to come out. But Friday we had 22 show up. Wow.

We tried to record our gig, but the young soundman couldn't figure out how to do it.

Hey, get those videos up soon, that will be fun to see.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 30/04/2006 9:19 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Congrats.
I know some guys around here who've played in bands that bikers have adopted. By all accounts, they're a very appreciative audience.

Getting the sound right is so hard, isn't it?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 01/05/2006 9:39 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here are the four sets from last Saturday night's "rain-in" gig.

There really is more to this band than just me. :wink:

http://204.97.91.110/duck1.wmv

http://204.97.91.110/duck2.wmv

http://204.97.91.110/duck3.wmv

http://204.97.91.110/duck4.wmv

Bish

Posted : 02/05/2006 12:47 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Where's Bish?!!! :shock:

I'm checking out the 1st set right now. Pretty cool. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/05/2006 2:41 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

good job bish, i love being in a band and gigging, don't you?

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 04/05/2006 6:56 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

good job bish, i love being in a band and gigging, don't you?

Is that a trick question, Rocker? LMAO!!!!

You know it!!!!!

Dan, it's not so much that you see me as just know I'm there in the background keeping the groove. 8)

I'll be at it again tonight. Playing at the little bar we play at once a month. Trying out a new camcorder tonight.

Bish

Posted : 05/05/2006 8:42 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm listening to the first set while checking emails and the like. It's pretty good so far, i'm certainly impressed. You guys seem tight, keep it up!

I'd just decided to watch a few of the songs instead of just listening, and it makes me wonder if the singer is just shaking the tambourine, or hitting it off his side. If it's the latter, he probably has quite the bruise.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 05/05/2006 9:20 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

give'em hell bro 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 05/05/2006 10:31 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Nice stuff bish
any chance of getting your guitarist to post a Sweet Home Alabama tab??? ;)
Also in duck1 what is the song the singer says is by the Climax Blues Band?

Posted : 06/05/2006 2:04 pm
Page 1 / 2