Notifications
Clear all

www.JustStringIT.com

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@juststringit)
Topic starter

Hello fellow musicians.  We're not soliciting, we're simply trying to develop a site that will not only offer strings at super-low prices, but will also give you the customer a chance to have your music and band name distributed through our means and tools.  Your opinion is important to us so please visit our site http://www.JustStringIT.com and let us know what you think.  Thanks and Rock On.

Posted : 12/08/2003 7:00 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

No offense, but shouldnt this belong in Opinions and Polls?

Posted : 12/08/2003 7:31 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm moving this to News. I think that's the appropriate rubric.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 12/08/2003 7:33 pm
(@Anonymous)

Wow someone needs to pull a stick outta you know where. The site comes of as very snotty and "man were so cool for doing this". It's just not my bag baby. 8)

Posted : 12/08/2003 8:10 pm
(@juststringit)
Topic starter

DaSniper,

Our apologies if we come off as astick up our a**es company, but we're not.  We're all musicians like yourself who want to help people get their music out into the public.  Please let us know what you found offensive on our site and we would be more than happy to improve it for our customers.  Apologies also to whoever had to move this poll from one forum to another, I thought this section was designated only for GuitarNoise news.  We're not trying to create a problem for anyone, we want to help musicians any way possible.  At the end of the day we all go home and jam the same way you guys do.  Rock on fellas.

Posted : 12/08/2003 10:37 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't think it's that bad an idea.

Can you do regional distribution?

I mean advertise my band or show in a specific set of zipcodes?

I didn't see anything snotty about it either.  Eye of the beholder I guess.

Posted : 12/08/2003 10:40 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sniper,

They don't come across as snotty to me, but then I'm hardened to "snotty". I've worked with "snotty" for years.

Try sitting for one day with my wife at work and learn what "snotty" really looks like. She works for an airline with a frequent travellers card - the boys with the gold card are amazing - compared to them arrogance is a virtue!

I'll be interested to see how it works, I suspect the effort put into the CDs will more than offset the profit on the strings.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 12/08/2003 11:28 pm
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It doesn't seem snotty to me, but there does seem to be a sort of tension between being fellow musicians and being a company.  Something in the writing style I can't put my finger on is a little offputting.  Sorry I can't be more precise.  That said, I think that I would definately buy strings there.  I use a slightly unusual selection of strings that can be hard to find at my local guitar shop.

Posted : 12/08/2003 11:36 pm
(@Anonymous)

...there does seem to be a sort of tension between being fellow musicians and being a company.  Something in the writing style I can't put my finger on is a little offputting. ...

Sorry JSI. That is more along the lines of what I meant.  Snotty might have been a little harsh. I literally woke up on the wrong side of the bed. As a result I stepped in cat vomit! Let me tell you, nothing gets you raring to sieze the day like stepping in cat puke.

Anyway, not a bad idea... I just don't see how it could work.

Posted : 13/08/2003 3:10 pm
(@juststringit)
Topic starter

To clear up some confusion about our site let me try and explain.....  We try to distance ourself from the normal view of "companies' that sell products.  We want people to understand that behind our products there are real people, real musicians, that do the same, everday normal things that you may do.  Many of us here at this company have played small venues in small cities and are trying to get our music out there ourselves.  It comes down to this....we have a product, we have customers, so why not give people the opportunity to have their music put on CD's and distributed with the strings we send out.  We're trying to be more than just a buy-sell relationship to our customers.  We have nothing against large companies or mass distributors, but our niche is in customer service and customer care, not just profit-making.  I hope we have cleared up some questions you may have.  Any more questions please feel free to e-mail us at RockOn@JustStringIT.com.

Jordan, Just String IT.com    

Posted : 13/08/2003 3:53 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Jordan, I just looked around your site and it seem decent.  Granted, you're just starting out and the other sections will be filled in time.  I'm a little foggy on the concept so let me say what I think I'm reading.  Your company will sell strings at a decent price so fellow musician's will buy them.  Also, if I had a band I could send you a thousand of my cds for you to distribute to string purchasers who clicked on my cd?

So I'd be out only for the raw material production of those cds (say $100) and in return you have customers getting my cds and may possibly contact me at my web site for more cd purchases?  If you had 100 different artists on your site would your string purchasers just click on whatever cd they want sent with their string order?

I ask only because I would not want my cds going out to those who hate rock but prefer country.  That's a waste of my cd.  Also, the string purchaser should be able to have a little bio and description of the type of music so he/she can make an intelligent choice of cd to get.

Could you help us get a little clearer on how/what's happening?  I want nothing more than you to succeed by giving people what they want or need.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 13/08/2003 6:40 pm
(@juststringit)
Topic starter

I'm going to try and answer a few questions I've seen regarding this new site.  First, the question of how we're actually going to distribute the CD's.  One method is by having what we call or "Valued Customer" collection CD.  Promotions will be ran where our top 8 or maybe 10 customers for a certain period of time will have the option of uploading or sending me 2 of their best songs, either MP3 format online or physically sending me their CD.  Each category of music, Rock, Blues & Jazz, Heavy Metal, Punk, and so on will each their own compiled CD.  What we do here is take these songs (8 bands x 2 songs is 16 songs per CD) and make these CD's and additional copies.  So we'll have a CD for Rock, with 8 different bands on it, a CD for Punk with 8 different bands on it.......and so on.  These CD's will be called, for example, Just String IT.com's Featured Rock Bands.  We'll make hundreds of copies of these CD's (with no charge to you) and distribute them to our customers.

Corbind's question of having CD's sent only to customers who listen to his type of music and Nick's question of distributing regionally.  Here's how that works:

When a customer places an order on our site, they will fill out a couple of questions asking them what genre Featured Artists CD they would like to receive, that way only fans of your style of music will hear your music.  

If you have a CD already, and want to send us copies of your full CD or demo, send us the copies and we will send them only to the areas you would like.  For example, only in the state of Ohio, within 70 miles of Tucson, within 5 minutes of the local McDonalds........... Customers will have the option to listen to your music either from our site, or if you already have music on MP3.com, or your own website, and they can request the CD's from us.  People will sometimes request only artists in their city, or general area, then we can look at what bands are availabe in that area and send out the proper CD.  

I hope I've cleared up any questions so far.  Please feel free to add anymore questions, comments, or suggestions here at GuitarNoise, or e-mail us at RockOn@JustStringIT.com.  Thanks

Posted : 14/08/2003 6:38 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Now I think I get it.  Seems pretty reasonable.  An artist would be out zero money if files were just downloaded by string buyers from an mp3 site (or even your site).  The only cost to the artist would be if he/she sent actual cds.

As a string consumer, I'd be happy to get some free music along with my purchase.  If your prices are comparable to other sites you'll do well.  Thanks for laying it out for us.  

8)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 14/08/2003 6:58 pm
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It sounds like an excellent plan to me.

Posted : 15/08/2003 5:57 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Of course, there would need to be bass strings...

Heehee!

Laz

Posted : 17/08/2003 5:46 pm
Page 1 / 2