Acoustic really ?

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Check out this vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYrZH00H2TQ

The first part in which David Gilmour plays 'Coming Back to Life' from the album Division Bell on an acoustic.

And later he uses overdrive on the acoustic... :shock:

Really, it all lies in the player. All that gear jazz seems like waste of time.

Rahul

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

it's an electric acoustic - it's plugged into an amp.

He's not playing so great that it turned into overdrive, I mean, the guy's not Chuck Norris. :lol:

Great playing anyways though, David Gilmour is incredible.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Overdrive on an acoustic - not exactly unheard of. Something you can try for yourself - plug your acoustic into an amp. Turn the distortion up. Play a riff, strumming the acoustic. Put the mic somewhere between the acoustic and the amp - you'll have to find the right balance by trial and error. Record yourself. What have you got? Two guitars playing the same riff, one a nice clear acoustic, the other a muddy, overdriven riff. Make sure your strings are perfectly in tune though!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If Chuck Norris played guitar, he wouldn't need no stinkin' amp to get overdrive out of an acoustic!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't know much about Chuck Norris, but just did a google search...lol.

I hope he doesn't break the guitar while performing ''Chuk Kun Do''.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ten bucks says David had atleast two racks filled with effects-gear back-stage. Gear is not really for better tone but for different tones. People like Gilmour have had massively impressive tones all through their careers, their own interest in tone certainly played a big role there.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol Rahul

He's been a "kung-fu" type movie star for YEARS, and also did a lot of workout advertisments/videos, as well as a hit show called Walker, Texas Ranger. Recently there's been a bit of Norris buz, and these sayings come up, like, for example,

The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer

I really have no idea where all this stuff suddenly came from.

Uhh, but back to tone - yeah, Gilmour's is incredible.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You can get good multi-FX boxes from Zoom (the 504 and the 504 MkII) - including one for accoustic guitars. It includes overdrive and delay amongst other goodies. It'll never make me sound like Gilmour, but I can live with sounding like me

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Keith Richards pioneered overdive and distortion on an acoustic. THe riff for Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash and Street Fightin Man, Satisfaction most famously, were all recorded by Keith dropping the mic from a cheap little tape deck into the sound hole in his gibson acoustic and turning the volume way up.
As a side note Satisfaction almost never was. According to Mr. Richards, he awoke in the middle of the night with the riff in his head, recorded it, went back to sleep and forgot about it. It wasn't until he was sending a pair of jeans to be washed that he rediscovered the tape in his back pocket. To this day he still says he was not happy with it, that the famous guitar riff should have been played by a horn section as in motown recordings, not by a guitar.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Recently there's been a bit of Norris buz, and these sayings come up, like, for example,

The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer

I'm almost positive it all started when Conan O'Brien started playing random (yet hilarious) clips of Walker, Texas Ranger on his show.

Anyways, I don't use electric/acoustics (I don't know why, I'm sure they are great) but I've played my acoustic and recorded it into audacity, turned up the gain and noticed that you can get a neat distorted effect: it kind of sounds like the guitar sound from the Beatles' "Revolution".

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

lol Rahul

He's been a "kung-fu" type movie star for YEARS, and also did a lot of workout advertisments/videos, as well as a hit show called Walker, Texas Ranger. Recently there's been a bit of Norris buz, and these sayings come up, like, for example,

Uhh, but back to tone - yeah, Gilmour's is incredible.

Re Chuck - I found this page..... http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/index.html ....from a link in Art & Lutherie's posts. Hilarious!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Well, he's got this pickup on his guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SA6-Mag-Mic-Acoustic-Pickup?sku=300323

Which is a stacked humbucker. No surprise he can get a pure electric tone.

His playing is no surprise either - always SWEET

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Darn, that pickup alone costs 229 $, enough to buy me a solid top Alvarez Acoustic. Well, Gimour is rich...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Chuck Norris couldn't sing "I can't get no satisfaction."

Chuck Norris always gets his satisfaction by the end of the show.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Darn, that pickup alone costs 229 $, enough to buy me a solid top Alvarez Acoustic. Well, Gimour is rich...

If it works as described (TBD), the price is worth it. Getting good, natural tones from guitar-mounted transducers is no small feat. I generally prefer the tone of magnetic soundhole pups to those of piezos; but a good mic is always king. Unfortunately, a good mic is not always convenient for performance. Granted, the mic in this pup may not be located in the best location, but it may not be far off the mark. And if fairly decent, it will probably grab a fair sampling of transient and harmonic info that the 'bucker will miss. If the combining circuit is good, this pup could very well 'rock.'

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2