Clear all

Best guitar amp ad ever!

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am always going to YouTube and checking out amps, guitars, pedals, etc... It's a great resource.

But this has to be about the all-time best ad for an amp I have ever seen. I have always been a tube guy, but man, I want me a JC-120 after seeing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

Of course, these two guys could make anything sound good, but still, the JC-120 is so impressive. And you know, this thing has been around forever, I remember playing in a band back in the early 70's and my buddy had one of these. It is still the same amp, and still as good as ever.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I never think to use you-tube as a resource. Sure would save a lot of digging and surfing though. Good find Wes.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I never think to use you-tube as a resource. Sure would save a lot of digging and surfing though. Good find Wes.

Anytime I'm shopping for a pedal, amp or something similar, I always hit YouTube. Chances are someone on there has done a demo of the equipment I'm considering. It's usually a little more realistic than the pro studio produced sound clips the manufacturer puts on their web site.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Anytime I'm shopping for a pedal, amp or something similar, I always hit YouTube.
Me too. In fact I already knew that video because I searched info about the original gear that is emulated in my multi-fx and that amp is emulated. Considering always that I hear it through a computer and with a low quality video, you can create an idea that you can get from that gear.

And I agree, the non professional are much more realistic than the official demos. I think it is in the Boss Tremolo or in one of those pedals that emulate Fender amps by Boss that the video shows a different operation on the knobs that you are hearing.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

great. thanks. one more really excellent use of computer and inter web to keep me indoors on my chair.
ok. everyone stand up. let's get some exercise. grab the air guitar...one, two, three......

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

I've just started experimenting with different distortion overdrive on my JC-90.

So far played with the onboard, Rat 2 and Rockman.. and every combination of them. My tubescreamer from analog man should be coming in the mail any day now. Still havn't found what I'm looking for, anything I've tried still has a bit of 'dog farting through a ceiling fan' factor to it.

Been reading about tube amps and how they start to break-up when you crank them. Curious, does anyone even attempt to do that with a solid state like a JC?

Can't imagine having the JC-120, especially at home. My JC-90 on clean rattles the windows with the volume at 2.

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

...anything I've tried still has a bit of 'dog farting through a ceiling fan' factor to it.
Sounds like an interesting effect.

Many solid state amps don't handle overdriving the front end well. You may have to cut way down on the input level if you don't like the canine flatulence impacting the impeller.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think as that ad pointed out, it is probably best to run effects and multi-efx straight into the effects loop return. This bypasses the preamp section of the amp. As they said in the ad, this way the amp itself does not color the effect. If you try this, make sure to turn you guitar and effects volume down first, or you can get really blasted. :shock:

A solid state amp will overdrive and distort just like a tube amp, however, it is usually a harder, brittle distortion, whereas tube amps get a softer, spongy type distortion. Not everybody prefers tube amps, many Metal players especially want the edge and bite of solid state distortion.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

True. Canine flatulence is in the ear of the beholder.

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

I think as that ad pointed out, it is probably best to run effects and multi-efx straight into the effects loop return. This bypasses the preamp section of the amp. As they said in the ad, this way the amp itself does not color the effect. If you try this, make sure to turn you guitar and effects volume down first, or you can get really blasted. :shock:

Just to clarify, plugging directly into the loop return, as opposed to using the pedals in both the in and out of the loop and guitar plugged in front seperate?

Example: guitar -> tubescreamer -> rat2 -> return plug..?

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Example: guitar -> tubescreamer -> rat2 -> return plug..?

Yes, you can do that, that is what those guys are doing in the second portion of that video.

You can do several things. If you plug your guitar into the instrument input, then come out of the effect's loop send to your multi-efx or individual pedal, then out of the multi-efx or pedal back into the return of the effects loop, now you still have the preamp section of your amp. You can use your amp's tone controls, distortion, amp effects.....

But you can go from your guitar into the input on your multi-efx or pedal, then out of the multi-efx or pedal straight into the effects loop return. Now, you are bypassing the preamp stage of your amp. Normally, you would lose your amp's controls for tone, effects, etc... probably the volume too. I know that's how it works on my Hot Rod Deluxe. So, everything is now controlled by just your guitar and multi-efx or pedal. That's why I said turn down first, you can get really blasted by volume.

In that video, they first show: guitar-----> pedalboard-----> instrument input on amp

Then they show: guitar-----> Boss multi-efx-----> stereo outs on Boss-----> stereo returns on Channel 2 effects loop.

They did not show: guitar------> instrument input on amp-----> effects loop send-----> multi-efx or pedal-----> return on effects loop.

So, you can see three different options right there, they all work, but each are a little different sounding. Experiment to find the setup that sounds best to you.

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Interesting, I'll play with all the combo's later.

One thing I did try was directly into the loop. You weren't kidding about the volume: had my tubescreamer and rat plugged in volumes off. Then put both at barely 9 o'clock, all good. Switched off the tubescreamer and with just the rat at 9, the volume tripled at least. Slightly disconcerting not having a master volume on the amp to limit everything when plugged into the loop.

As far as how the pedals sounded directly into the loop, as opposed to front end, there was no harsh break up, especially on the bottom end like before. When the pedals were cranked a little through the front, almost sounded like it was cutting out slightly. Through the loop sounded normal but was harsh in a different way, like the EQ was a mess and too much of whatever it is that gives you a quick headache (is it too much mids that make your tone sound really piercing..?)

Anyway, couple more questions

- With tube amps apparently you want to drive the input a little, with a tubescreamer, whatever. For solid state is this generally not a good idea, as in you could actually damage the amp?

- Havn't tried it yet but the: guitar------> instrument input on amp-----> effects loop send-----> multi-efx or pedal-----> return on effects loop. option: Will the master volume on the amp control the effects loop in this config? Or do you end up with two different places to work your volume - preamp volume, and volume on effects..?

By the way, directly into the loop all the amp controls still worked (reverb, chorus, distortion, EQ) minus the volume..

Thanks for the replies, extrememly helpful. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're unlikely to damage either a tube or solid state amp by overdriving the front end, it's more a matter of whether you like the overdriven sound. Now and then you'll "blow" a speaker by pushing it hard with either, of course.

I wouldn't drive an acoustic amp or any amp combo containing a tweeter hard with distortion, because distortion generates a lot of high frequency harmonics. The crossover will switch those over to the tweeter and may fry it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

- Havn't tried it yet but the: guitar------> instrument input on amp-----> effects loop send-----> multi-efx or pedal-----> return on effects loop. option: Will the master volume on the amp control the effects loop in this config? Or do you end up with two different places to work your volume - preamp volume, and volume on effects..?

Yes, your Master volume should work with this configuration. Your guitar and effect's volume should always work no matter what configuration you use.
By the way, directly into the loop all the amp controls still worked (reverb, chorus, distortion, EQ) minus the volume..

Well, I am certainly no amp expert, but on my Hot Rod Deluxe if I go Guitar----> multi-efx/pedal----> Power Amp In (same as effects loop return), it completely bypasses all controls on my amp. And I think that is the point those fellows were trying to make in that video using that configuration. But not all amps are designed exactly the same.

As far as the tone, you could place an EQ pedal before or after your distortion pedals (but in your chain) to fine tune your tone. And of course, the pedals themselves have tone controls. But an EQ pedal is far more precise.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That was a cool video. Are those guitar players famous?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2