Clear all

Genre: Alternative rock.

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@galis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The question circling my and another persons mind that i frequently talk to has been: What exacly is Alternative rock music?

I understand other genres such as grunge, and near anything else you can name, my assumtion was always that alternative rock is a form of rock music that didn't fit into any immediate mainstream genres quite a few years ago such as punk, goth ect...

But they still use it as a genre for a lot of bands around, like Switchfoot apperently as well quite a few people have told me i was wrong. My question is if anyone out there knows just what it is or has some answers as to what Alternative rock acctaully is, for the life of me i cant figure it out myself.

Post some feedback on this, my curiosity on the matter is driving me nuts hehe. Starting to think it doesn't exist as anything important and just some worthless word that cuaght on and has no specific meaning.

New goal #1: Buy an amp.
New goal #2: Buy a 5-string.
New goal #3: Get better then OWA at music.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

As far as I can tell it's more modern rock, as opposed to the old school stuff which was quite a bit different. I'm not at all sure about that though.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hahaha... This will be fun cuz I'm a GEN X'r and I remember when that term first started to emerge in to the mainstream.

Now listen up Kids.... :)

Back in the day before we had CD's and MP3's and Manufactured bands, there was
50's ROCK AND ROLL- Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly all those Godfathers,
ROCK, Beatles, Stones, then the Beatles and then the Stones
HARD ROCK, Led Zepplin, The Who, Bad Co.... etc.
ACID ROCK, Black Sabbath, The Doors, Steppenwolf, Pink Floyd...etc
SOUTHERN ROCK, The Eagles, Credence Clear Water, ZZ, Steely Dan....etc.

Then DISCO........UGGHHH!!!!

Then PUNK!!! OI!!!!!
Then NEW-WAVE (which is really just some figmant of some lame C&@#$ imagination) see the original Decline of Wester Civ movie and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Somewhere in that mix came what I call " 80's Butt ROCK" - Cuz all the guys wore spandex and had really big hair. This was considered at the time Mainstream Rock.

Then Metal started to really emerge.. There's Metallica and Motorhead, Maiden etc.

But the Punk Genre took off in other weird directions, Ska, Mod(pre-Goth), Rockabilly, Hardcore, Surf/Skate Punk, New-Ro(mantic), ..... then a harder, but not so THRASH like stuff emerged and it came to be Alternative ROCK. It was rock, but not in a Zepplin kinda way and it certainly wasn't 80's Butt Rock either. Bands like 'The Cult', INXS, U2 emerged in that stream, Rollins Band, Social Distortion did a turn around from Hardcore Punk, Early Soundgarden... into the 90's.

Anyhoo most of the radio played isnt' really Alternative. I think if one were to go way, way back, bands like The Doors and Pink Floyd were really the first "Type" of alternative stuff(some call if Psychadelia). Today I think its just a blanket statement of ROCK that isn't clearly defined like Hardcore or Metal or isn't POP.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Once you have a genre, it is no longer "alternative".

By the way, Disco rocked baby....

I was a freakin' dancing machine, Sheik Yerbouti

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yo! Touche Mr Nick... :)

Disco was fun... on roller skates.. :o

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

OMG! Say it aint so nick :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Alternative Rock is just that, alternative rock. So if I listen to the Beatles exclusively the Who would be alternative rock, since it is rock and offers an alternative to the Beatles. If I had listened to the Who the Beatles would have been alternative rock. People who seriously proclaim their music is alternative generally take themselves a little bit too serious. In a few cases way too serious.

Alternative can also often be replaced with 'unique and better'. Which is as silly as it sounds, you only have to check out your local alternative clothing store to see just how unique it really is. Same goes for alternative music: with over 65.000 alternative songs at soundclick it is rapidly becoming more mainstream then anything else.

I think I'm going to be alternative by being mainstream. Noone is as mainstream as I am, behold the Mainstream Master! :P

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Alright you big daddies , i am still young and i absolutly love the disco songs.

Who can forget Saturday night fever?Beegees was a class act and of course then john travolta was a perfect match for the heart thumping , foot tapping songs. 8)

And the thing that amazes me is , most of the disco songs (or the ones we would like to dance) hardly contain any guitar (excluding bass :evil: ).
Its all about drums and keyboard i guess.

So you got your guitar in Metal , Death Metal , Acid metal and i guess s**t Metal :lol: .

Ahhh , metal sucks seriously.Too much of black sabbath is poisonous to health. :x

Got my tea ready.Now i am off :D

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Who can forget Saturday night fever?Beegees was a class act and of course then john travolta was a perfect match for the heart thumping , foot tapping songs. 8)

LOl, I've done fairly well forgetting that movie. As far as the Beegees being a class act, well, I think you're off by two letters. :P
So you got your guitar in Metal , Death Metal , Acid metal and i guess s**t Metal :lol: .

Ahhh , metal sucks seriously.Too much of black sabbath is poisonous to health. :x

No such thing as too much Black Sabbath. :twisted:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What do you mean by being off two letters (does that means beegees as a @$$ act :shock: )

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

john287in...

We just don't do the <insert guitar, band, genre> sucks thing here. It just generates flame wars. Good intent or not, just say no.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

No such thing as too much Black Sabbath. :twisted:

Very True.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

alt rock is basically grunge-influenced rock. usually darker sounding, chordally and lyrically usually a little more complex, and generally devoid of the stadium rock cliches.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

1 - Don't get Nick started on Disco music (Muzak!)

2 - There is NO alternative to rock'n'roll....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

1 - Don't get Nick started on Disco music (Muzak!)

2 - There is NO alternative to rock'n'roll....

:D :D :D

Vic

I do have to admit I have a few secret Disco "guilty pleasures" like "Play that Funky music" and Funky Town" But don't tell any one on the forums.....er...DOH!! :lol:
OK, I promise not to host any disco jams on the jams and collaboration forum :P --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2