Notifications
Clear all

Greatest Guitar Solos?

47 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Boxboy, I'm a Chuck Berry fan, too. And while I can't remember him doing a memorable solo in it, one of his songs I've been having fun with lately is No Money Down. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

One of my absolute favorite solo's comes from an artist you wouldn't think of immediately as guitar orientated, and that is the solo in "Leave a light on for me"...... Belinda Carlisle.
Its only a short piece and played slide, I haven't a clue who played this solo or who wrote it, but it fits the song like a well tailored suit.
I have looked for tab for this to no avail (only chord sheets seem to be available) I would love to learn it.

Hear it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgF1Z-N6vTg

Video's not that bad either :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, lots of good songs here.

Some that were mentioned I agree with are Highway Star by Deep Purple and Ballrooms of Mars by T. Rex (Marc Bolan). Marc was very underrated but has been quoted as a big influence by many famous players like Slash who did a cover of Buick MacKane and even copied his look!

Marc Bolan

Slash

Look familiar?? :roll:

Anyway, that's neither here or there, but a couple of great solos by Eric Clapton I've always loved are Bellbottom Blues, fantastic soulful playing, and After Midnight, great tone and just plain cool. And White Room is a must listen for anyone who wants to study the wah pedal.

Ten Years After was mentioned, I always loved the live version of Goin' Home at Woodstock, Alvin Lee stole the show, best performance at Woodstock IMHO.

The solo for Reelin' In the Years by Steely Dan was awesome too.

This list could get really long.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That was a very "classic rock' focused list.

But, since I'm a rock guy, I think you have to include Rush's La Villa Stragianto.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Oh! Oh! Oh!

for me:-

Hotel California ----- Eagles (unsurpassed solo duel between Joe Walsh and Don Felder)

Hietian Divorce -------Steelye Dan

While My guitar Gently Weeps ---------- Eric Clapton, (guest Beatle 1968)

Wicked Game -------- Chris Issaaks

Roll Over Beethoven ---- Chuck Berry for writing it, George Harrison for making it his own)

Sweet Home Alabama ----- Lynyrd Skynyrd (More of a riff I suppose but I love it.)

and others I might be able to think of later

Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Smokindog: In addition to Roy Buchannon's Hey Joe, anyone out there who saw "The Departed" had to love his rendition of "Sweet Dreams" which plays during the ending credits.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Classic rock focused list?" Well, it is about guitar solos, isn't it? :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

That's a pretty good list, with a lot of great songs. But (and no disrespect to the Master here), I think I'd have to substitute SRV's version of Voodoo Chile (slight return) in place of the Hendrix one.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That's a pretty good list, with a lot of great songs. But (and no disrespect to the Master here), I think I'd have to substitute SRV's version of Voodoo Chile (slight return) in place of the Hendrix one.

This is blasphemy, and Hendrix was my idol starting out, but I agree, Stevie's version is better. Here is an insane live cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GSpbuFSr2o

Stevie did pretty awesome on Third Stone from the Sun too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW0t17Ft5o

Only Jimi and Stevie could do that. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^Stevie's version of Third Stone of The Sun is amazing. I like it more than Jimi's, well the live version atleast. I don't think SRV had a studio version. I still prefer Hendrix's version of Voodoo, but Third Stone beats Hendrix's version. SRV's Little Wing is better too.

Some songs that I think should be on some "top X guitar solos ever"

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix
Texas Flood - SRV
Red House - Jimi
Bold as Love - Jimi
Crossroads- Clapton
Atom Heart Mother Suite - Dave Gilmour
Little Wing - SRV/Hendrix
Highway Star - Blackmore
Sweet Child O' Mine - Slash
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Eric Clapton

That's all for now.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Yeah I really like the Stevie Ray version of Voodoo. He must have some of Jimi's soul in him. I do prefer Jimi's vocals though on all the main stream songs of his that Stevie has covered.

Just a quikie, has anybody ever seen SRV not wearing a hat :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^^You know, when I think about it, I never have seen him without a hat. Not once. I wonder what he was hiding under there? ;)

And yea, he had Jimi's soul for sure. He said a few times Jimi was on his dreams playing music for him.

ReplyQuote
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member

I have to agree with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I don't know how they could have left that one out. One of Clapton's best solos, and one of the Beatles/George Harrison's best songs. Also, I just listened to Alvin Green at Woodstock two days ago. You are right, it was possibly the best performance there. Great stuff. Not a bad list, but I can't believe they put Slash at number 2...maybe number 5 or 6, but 2? Oh well. It could be worse, heh.

--RJ

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

One great solo. Infact its a whole guitar solo piece only from a very popular movie (Top Gun) -

Top Gun Anthem by Steve Stevens.

The video is awesome, in which Steve is playing his guitar in a hanger and using the heck out of whammy bar. Love the piano too.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4