Clear all

I Really Wish I Hadn't....

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

tried to do that rather fast slide on my acoustic with heavy (for me) and dead strings on it. My hand and arm moved. Shame the finger didn't. It didn't feel so bad at first...

Think I've given myself acute tendonitis or somesuch as it's now swollen and a little sore. V sore when I try to use it. I'm also feeling a little tight on the back of my hand and the arm, but not excessively so. I've taped it up (more as visual/tactile reminder that it's out of action than as attempt at "treatment") and will give it the weekend to see if it rights itself. If not, it's straight off to the doc. Further bummer is that I write as a leftie, but play as a righty, so all writing is out for at least a few days, too. And techie work.

But I vow never to leave any of my guitars with dead strings on them again. Stringing may be a PITA, but I'd rather that than PITH.

Anybody else had music-related idiot moments they came to regret? C'mon now, I can see you nodding....

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

What is PITA O_O ?

Hey Scrybe I'll give you my Ibanez, so you can change the strings then give it back xD, ( I still haven't tried to change them, I'm scared O_O )

Hmm idiot moments, ah well yes, I was with some friends jamming you know coke ( Coca cola :wink: ) and pizza and music that we tried to make but failed horribly xD. So my friend had an idea that we should put the 3 guitars leaning on my friends drum set, ah so we took the picture, and mine fell X_X It has a big scratch on the Headstock now, but thankfully it was my begginer Squier, I would never do that to anything ever again, I have learned my lesson.

This was back when iI was starting more or less to play.

Ah and when I first started to learn how to tap ( like 2 months ago O_O ) I tried it with a classical guitar, granted it didn't work and my right hand index finger was on fire, but once I picked up my electric I could do it :D

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

pain in the ... :wink:

and don't tell Stepan Rak tapping doesn't work on a classical guitar...he's built a career on it (in part).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

well I bet it didn't work when he tried it the first time :P.

Ah PITA lol

I didn't like the Tapping at first, cause I was doing it wrong ^_^, then i saw a video and I was like ooooh , and now I use it to impress people that don't know about guitars :P

:twisted:

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds more like you've sprained something to me - but then I'm no doctor. I'd suggest you go see your GP ASAP - he/she will sort things out.

Does this mean next week's jam is off? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope it's nothing too serious!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I hope to be recovered by then. I would cross my fingers, but that was kinda the effect the attempted slide had on them. :roll:

Can you sprain something in the bit of your ring finger between the middle and tip knuckles? Is that possible? As you can tell, I'm no doctor either....

Gonna drop by the walk-in centre on monday even if I'm feeling better then. for now, I'm just resting it and doing right hand picking and fingerstyle exercises with a bandana wrapped around the strings (to limit just how annoying the repetitive sound is for others) and catching up on a bit of listening. I'm also becoming rather adept at typing one-handed. :lol:

actually, if my typing is anything to go by, my tapping technique should become pretty narly. 8) (reserved solely for acoustic useage, I promise! well, almost solely.....)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I don't think I've ever injured myself while playing music. Almost put an eye out when I was a newbie & tried tightening the high E string way too much. :o

Hope you finger heals soon Sara.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Get Well Soon...

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. no improvement so far, so it's looking like that trip to the walk-in centre tomorrow will be necessary. still, it could be much worse... http://www.virginmedia.com/homefamily/health/occupational-complaints.php :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the strain (or whatever it gets to be called). I hope it ain't nuttin' that lasts too long.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the strain (or whatever it gets to be called). I hope it ain't nuttin' that lasts too long.

It gets to be called tendonitus, seemingly of the acute variety. doc says 1-2 weeks rest and i should be fine, but to take it easy and build up when i start using it again. the good signs were that it didn't go red, and by this morning the swelling had gone down. although i was still getting twinges, it wasn't painful to the "squeeze test". major relief (hey, i try to stay positive these days) given the doomier potential diagnoses. i was getting some twinges in my arm and shoulder blade, but these are apparently all down to the 'itus. rock some NSAIDs for the next fortnight, work on right hand technique, and i should be fine.

but i promise you none of my guitars will have dead strings on when i get back to playing them, or ever again. such a stupid injury to inflict on myself. :oops:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

idiot moments? Where do I begin?

Holding a mic that was apparently connected to something with a poor ground, while touching a metal window sill? That was a good one.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

sorry to learn of your accident.
the swelling should go away after a while. unfortunately, tendons and connective tissue when inflamed takes time to heal.
ice at night and heat in the morning is my regime. ice to reduce swelling and allow for healthy blood flow.
heat to get the darn stiffness out after a night's sleep.

take a slide break.or use a slide instead of your finger, hey.

dumb moves?...
I was playiong my acoustic sitting on a wooden chair. I had the chair tilted back on the two rear legs.
lost my balance. guitar went into the air I hit the floor. on the second bounce of my head the guitar fell back into my arms.
dumb.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I did a non-guitar related dumb move. Yesterday, I was getting ready to make some Jamaican Jerk Chicken. I make a big batch of the seasoning and keep it sealed in the pantry. (Pain to whip out 15 spices each time I make it.) One of the spices is Cayenne Pepper. So, I open the lid and stick my nose in there and took a nice, big and deep whiff. My nose burned for 30 minutes easy. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Smelled nice and fresh, huh?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2