Clear all

is kareoke killing live music?

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

before kareoke, there were lots of places to go and see live bands, i think kareoke is alot cheaper for club owners, i think all kareoke machines should be blown up, what are your opinions?

even god loves rock-n-roll

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, this topic (sorta of) was brought up not long ago but not in the kareoke light. Atleast around here, kareoke bars seem to be doing much worse than live music but to me the slow down in live music has more to do with the mentality of "most" of the live acts playing what they want to play instead of what dancers and the audience members want to listen too.

Alot people go to the bar to dance. I am not one of them but when I have gone to live performance you usually alway can hear someone grumbling about not being able to dance to whatever the band is playing.

Back on subject.. I dont think its kareoke as much as the bands themselves that are causing the slowdown in live music.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, it's a different kind of entertainment. If your band is really excellent you will still find a place to perform.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I recently read something my stepdad sent me from a Chicago paper and I don't remember the venue (sorry) but it was a place that started up "live" karaoke. It's just like karaoke but with a live house band. It's all country music (at least currently) but the band has to play back up for whatever singer comes up and requests from the list of songs they have ready to do.

That sounds like a lot of fun! Potential for both magic moments and utter disaster!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

I think this is largely an American thing, because in my countless trips to pubs and clubs all over the UK, whether the intention is to see a band or grab a coke before seeing a band, and I have never, ever, ever seen a kareoke machine or anyone using it.

The reason kareoke will never kill live music is twofold:

a) Kareoke deals specifically in well-known tunes; nothing new is debuted on a kareoke machine.
b) Kareoke is aimed at people who couldn't sing their way out of a special paper bag that falls to pieces by just breathing on it. It's great fun for them I assume, but if I've paid my money I expect a certain level of quality, not a tone-deaf rendition of "Delilah" from somebody who's been drinking absinthe.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Karaoke was a lot bigger about 10 years ago. It's pretty much dried up around here.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

b) Kareoke is aimed at people who couldn't sing their way out of a special paper bag that falls to pieces by just breathing on it.

I couldnt disagree with that more. I've seen kareoke sings that could sing rings around the best local bands. There are those that cannot sing.. but the majority (atleast in my area) are awsome singers.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

but it was a place that started up "live" karaoke
There was a place here that was doing that last year as well.

Google for "bandioke", and you get 3 pages of results.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, I think it's really a Japanese thing that's also become popular in the States. I notice that at my children's elementary school, the children now sing and dance much more to pre-recording backing tracks during the school variety shows. I also find vocalists singing to CD backing tracks in church.

I think that's unfortunate in the long run. It's much more interesting and inspiring, I think, to see and hear people perform with live accompaniment.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I would say that it is probably hurting music, but not killing. It's not around here much, a club used to have in once in a while, as a $3000 dollar give-a-way thing. Live music is still the more popular choice though.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I agree with richochet that kareoki is, and has been, on the downslide. So I don't think it'd have much effect on anything but karkeoki clubs. Plus when you want to see a live band, you see a live band, when you want to get really drunk and screw around with some classic tunes you do kareoki. I think the motives behind the two are too different.

As far as the lull in live music, I would also associate it to the music played, but not how geoo was putting it. I think live bands have become very mechanical, in that they play their songs on-stage just as they would record them on a record, so live music has just sort of lost the "livelyness" of it. At least that's what I've seen from my experiences of recent famed and sub-fame live acts.

It's a real pitty, but everything comes back eventually.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yes, especially when they sing songs by ******* :shock:

edited in observation of strict forum guidlines :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

It's totally different from live bands. When you go to see a band you go to see a show. People who go to Karioke go to perform, and be part of the show. It is two different audiences

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

What do people see in karioke? I find it intensely irritating, I can't listen to it for even a minute, literally. Forget pulling my fingernails out, give me an hour of that and I'll tell you anything you want to hear...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Yes, especially when they sing songs by ******* :shock:

edited in observation of strict forum guidlines :wink:
Ouch! That's a low blow there. Oh well, I guess for the participants to sound similar they'd have to drink quite alot of bourbon, so it may be great for the bars after all.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2