Clear all

Les Paul Pickguards?

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Simple enough question. Do you prefer the look of Les Paul's with or with a pickguard?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I dont like the look of big pick-gaurds.... personally

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I think it depends on the Les Paul... What it wants to do... Kidding, but it does depend on the Les Paul. Putting a pickguard on a les paul with a premium plus top is a sin in my book.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Pickguards have their place on an LP, but IMNSHO, it's on classic looking cherry sunburst plaintops, black customs, and pretty much nothing else. I wouldn't use a pickguard on a flametop, you gotta let that show!

However, that also takes into account that I don't need the pickguard, there are some players who would hit the body and scratch it all up, and for them, it actually has some practical value.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The Les Paul is designed so its almost impossible to hit the body. When I was trying some out before I got mine, I tried a nice one with premium plus top, and a pickguard. I asked the store owner (he was showin' me around) if that could be taken off, and he said "Yeah, but I wouldn't recomend it, you'll scratch the body." Baffles the heck out of me.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

The Les Paul is designed so its almost impossible to hit the body.

How?

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I just bought a Les Paul Standard that has a beautiful quited top and I would NEVER consider putting the pickguard on it. However when you want that classic look, you gotta go with the pickguard.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ariez,

Let me rephrase:

"With the Les Paul's design, it is impossible to hit the body" is what I should have said.

The body bulges right under the strings, inbetween the pickguards (not actually bulges, but it arcs there. So the parts NOT under the strings, are much lower than the strings, thus being nearly impossible to hit while playing.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Taso wrote:
The Les Paul is designed so its almost impossible to hit the body.

How?

I'm not sure exactly, although I think it has something to do with the spirits of dead luthier's coming out of their grave..... :shock:

:D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

ahhh I see :D

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Ariez,

Let me rephrase:

"With the Les Paul's design, it is impossible to hit the body" is what I should have said.

The body bulges right under the strings, inbetween the pickguards (not actually bulges, but it arcs there. So the parts NOT under the strings, are much lower than the strings, thus being nearly impossible to hit while playing.

Well then I have done the "nearly impossible ." My 1981 vintage Artist model has a small depression worn into it right between the pick-ups where my pick hits it during heavy down-strokes . The pick-guard is about 3/4" too short to be of any help . I have always favored a Fender Heavy pick so it's my own dang fault .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

How do you manage to get inbetween the pickups? lol.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It's all Rock and Roll's fault . The strings clear the top of the guitar by plenty but somehow I manage to dig the point in . Oh well !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol. SHEESH, you may want to reconsider your attack ;)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a LP fan...simple question , my simple answer is "I don't like Pickguards".....just a matter of personal aesthetics....It's a great, classic design, though, and shouldn't be spoiled by a cheap-looking piece of plastic....

Vic

And IMHO, the pickguards on hollow-body epiphones are the worst of all....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2