Clear all

Making Guitars from Guns!

27 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This comes from the "Oddly Enough" section of AP/Excite news feeds.

This is just cool!

------------------------

Original Article

By Patrick Markey

BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) - Polished rosewood and an artist's deft touch are all Colombian craftsman Luis Alberto Paredes needs to turn tools of death into symbols of hope.

One of Colombia's top musical instrument makers, Paredes has branched out from traditional methods to fashion electric guitars from shotguns and AK47 rifles once used by fighters caught up in the country's lingering guerilla conflict.

"This used to hit a target at 800 meters (yards)," Paredes said holding up one of the guitars which still has a Kalashnikov rifle's distinctive, banana-shaped magazine. "Now the target will just depend on the concert stage."

In a workshop above his modest family home in Bogota, Paredes has created the "escopetarras" -- shotgun guitars in Spanish -- since he was approached by local musician Cesar Lopez with the idea about three years ago.

Colombian rock star Juanes has been given one. So was Argentine singer Fito Paez and Paredes is crafting another for Carlos Vives, the local pop star who has revived the popularity of the Colombian Caribbean rhythm Vallenato.

Violence, crime and kidnapping linked to Colombia's lingering insurgency has declined under President Alvaro Uribe who was re-elected in May after voters applauded his U.S.-backed security crackdown against left-wing guerrillas.

Thousands are still killed or forced from their homes yearly by conflict with the rebels who control parts of rural Colombia, the world's top producer of cocaine.

Lopez says the idea came to him after the 2003 rebel car bombing of a Bogota social club that killed 36 people. Facing a soldier with a rifle outside the wrecked club, the musician noted the similarities between the weapon and his own guitar.

CONVERTING "BAD ENERGY"

A self-taught artisan who made his first guitar in 1959 while still in school, Paredes now works with three of his four children in a family business cluttered with tools and sawdust from partially made guitars, four-string cuatros and violins.

His instruments are sought by musicians worldwide.

As part of a United Nations program to promote peace, Paredes receives the decommissioned rifles with the working parts wielded together for safety.

After stripping the soldering and gutting the trigger mechanism, he crafts a polished wooden handle over the barrel and his son installs microphones in the stock. The process takes a week to ten days.

"At first it was a challenge," he said. "It's a paradox to take something that kills and transform it into something to please people."

Under a peace plan initiated by Uribe, more than 30,000 illegal paramilitary fighters have handed over their weapons and demobilized. But the Marxist rebel group the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia or FARC still has 17,000 fighters.

Authorities say hundreds of demobbed militia combatants have returned to criminal gangs dedicated to cocaine trafficking and extortion.

Musician Lopez, who plans a concert for peace with the shotgun guitars in November, says seven of the instruments have been donated so far. One is at the Bogota mayor's office and two more in U.N offices. Several more are in the works.

"Weapons have a bad energy... and when we take one apart it starts to change, when we put on the handle and installations, it changes its energy," Paredes said. "It is not what it was and that makes you happy."

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Deep breath....

This is cool, and it is related to guitars.

No political digression please.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

:roll:
deep sigh,...

http://members.cox.net/bzolla/Gun.html

now THIS is kewl :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Those are cool.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Sitting on my hands with reference to the post topic. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Have I ever mentioned that I like Agile guitars, especially their P-90 equipped models? :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

aRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

That made me spit coffee. :lol:

The keyboards I go through reading this forum.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

AAAAhhhh the moderators nightmare thread. Gotta love it! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

AAAAhhhh the moderators nightmare thread. Gotta love it! :D
...just be thankful that he didn't say whether or not he was instructed by god to do it :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

aRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

That made me spit coffee. :lol:

The keyboards I go through reading this forum.
Here ya go Nick...
http://www.buypcsupplies.com/keyboardskins.html?source=google

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Just the thing for John Lee Hooker...

Boom, boom, boom boom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Or Ritchie Sambora from Bon Jovi... "shot through the heart and you're to blame..."

Or Jimi "Hey Joe, where you goin with that gun in your hand?"

Etc, etc, etc! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I wasn't going to say this but you guys have forced my hand. :wink:

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix.

There. I've said it now. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

As Bob Marley sang, "I shot the sheriff, but I did not kill the deputy!"

AC/DC, "For those about to rock, we salute you! Shoot, shoot, shoot!" (No wait, that was a cannon, wasn't it? Can they make a guitar from a cannon too? :wink: :lol: :wink: )

We could go on like this for days!!!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Remicastors. :lol: :lol:

OK, that was bad. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i missed the coffee joke. was it deleted, or was that agile comment actually funny?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2