0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have three guitars:

1. My Schecter Elite for general all-purpose playing
2. A Dean Hardtail tuned to Open G for slide
3. A Yamaha 12-String acoustic

The tonal qualities of these three instruments and their respective settings really do it all for me, and we play a pretty wide variety of songs and genres.

Today I saw this local guy's Facebook page with a picture of all 15 of his electrics. I know another guy in a local bar band who brings 6 to every gig. What a hassle! And every song they do sounds the same. I know my stuff does different sounds.

I guess if you're a collector it's one thing. But I know the guy with 15 is not toting all those babies to every gig. Just tuning them all up would take half the night!

Hell, even Jimmy Page had less than a handful in Zeppelin's DVD. I saw his Les Paul, the Double-Neck, a Danelectro for slide playing, and his acoustic. But does some schmoe from Tinytown, USA need all those? Or is it more numismatic? :?

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

But does some schmoe from Tinytown, USA need all those? Or is it more numismatic? :?

It's GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

My guess would be collecting for different styles, colors, sounds, feel. I think the pups all give different sounds. Acoustics are all different too. You might want to keep different tunings and string gauges. Who knows? I have a Yamaha 12 string and Seagull 6 string acoustic; a Jackson hardtail; an SX 4 string bass. I'd like another 6 string acoustic, mostly as a "beater" to take outside, though not to abuse. I'd also like an acoustic-electric bass.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Multiple Guitars? Why Not.

I mean, if you want it and you can afford it, why not have as many as you want.

Though I do think guitar players suffer from the fact that an instrument's tonal characteristics are more pronounced in solo setting than in a full band setting. Same goes for amps (and all instruments). So, when you try out that new strat in the music store, you're hearing a difference, but that difference wont translate as well in a full band setting.

There are a bunch of other factors, of course, but if you want just one guitar then just have one. If you want 100, get 100. It's no big deal, really.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Darn, I'm being very chilled out today. Must be the effects of getting a nice tan in sizzling climes of mountain climbs. 8)

(my subtlety has, however, failed to improve)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

But does some schmoe from Tinytown, USA need all those? Or is it more numismatic? :?

Depends. I tend to collect guitars and amps when I'm not performing regularly. Now that I'm in a steady band again, I'm in a "sell-off" phase weeding out the ones that don't work well for me on stage. I tend to grab guitars with a unique sounds.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Simply put, for me, is fun toys. I'm sure I'd be a lot better player had I not decided to collect a bunch of cheap -> midrange guitars, but I did and it's fun.

Do I need 'em? Nope.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Because these are unwieldy:

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

1) they are beautiful

2) they sound different (a strat doesn't sound like a tele, which doesn't sound like a 330 which doesn't sound like a 335 which doesn't sound like an LP which doesn't sound like an SG which doesn't sound like a dan-o, and so on)

3) it's easier to buy a new guitar than practice ;-)

I have heard about some women with hundreds of pairs of shoes - this I don't understand, but hundreds of guitars - this I understand ;-)

Funny, guitarists have more GAS than saxophonists. 3 saxes are enough for me, an alto, a tenor and a back-up tenor. I have 3 electrics and a flat top, and I've got GAS for at least a dozen more guitars (strat, Italia, Eastwood, Dano, SG, Johnny A, Trini Deluxe, etc.). There is only one old sax I'd like to acquire but they price for a 1960s King Super 20 Silversonic is too much for me at this stage in my life!

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

They follow me home.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have heard about some women with hundreds of pairs of shoes - this I don't understand, but hundreds of guitars - this I understand ;-)

I agree with this sentiment entirely.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I only own twenty some guitars so when I get enough I'll voice my opinion. :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

If you want 100, get 100. It's no big deal, really.
That's awesome

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

If you want 100, get 100. It's no big deal, really.
That's awesome

I know, I'll make someone a wonderful wife one day. "What honey? You want a new Gibby? Sure thing, but only if we can order my JB Strat at the same time, to save on shipping costs...I'll let you play mine if I can play yours..." 8) But I bet I end up with someone who hates guitars. :roll: :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Basic requirement list.....

1 X electric of your choice, in standard tuning.
1 X electric of your choice, in an alternate tuning.
1 X acoustic of your choice, in standard tuning.
1 X acoustic of your choice, in an alternate tuning.
1 X 12-string acoustic.
1 X bass guitar.

Then you start getting into the little variations....."well, I need humbuckers for this riff, but single coils for that riff...." so you need another electric. Hmm, you think, it's all very well having an electric in open G, and an acoustic in open G, but I want to play some songs in open D or E.....there's another couple of guitars you need.

GAS is never ending - just when you think you've got it beaten, along comes the next guitar you NEED.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

<...>I know, I'll make someone a wonderful wife one day. "What honey? You want a new Gibby? Sure thing, but only if we can order my JB Strat at the same time, to save on shipping costs...I'll let you play mine if I can play yours..." 8) But I bet I end up with someone who hates guitars. :roll: :lol:

Leilani is also a guitar player. I got her an Ibanez nylon string acoustic/electric for part of her birthday present and she got me a Digitech RP355 multi-effects pedal for part of mine.

She lets me play all of her guitars, and of course I let her play all of mine.

She is my second wife. The first one wasn't a musician, and it didn't work out. Not for that reason, I didn't know what to look for and married for all the wrong reasons. I really didn't know what to look for the second time either, but I got extremely lucky.

Word of advice. Your wife/husband/significant-other or whatever should be your very best friend. You should be interested in similar things, and be willing to learn to like the things that you differ with -- within reasonable limitations, (Leilani wouldn't have lasted long if she were a country music fan) ;-)

After the first marriage failed, I decided that if I did it again, I would marry someone in the biz, or not at all. I met my sweetheart when she was singing/playing in another band. We hit it off from day one, talking for hours as if we had been great friends for years. We've been best friends and lovers ever since. And later decided to start a band together, first a 5 piece group, but then a duo. So I get to play music on stage with my best buddy who is also a decent guitarist, excellent singer, and my lover - It doesn't get any better than that!!!

I've got to be one of the luckiest people in the world. I make my living doing music and nothing but music, my wife is my best friend, and she has guitars too, effectively doubling my collection. (see, I got back on topic).

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5