Clear all

Music obsessions :-)

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 guy1
(@guy1)
Topic starter  

a friend of mine has a funny way of listening to music- if he gets to know a new band or album he can listen to it for weeks, only that specific band/album, and after a few weeks he usually just puts it aside and rarely listens to it again, and then on to his next music obsession. It's actually pretty funny, but I just wonder if there are other people who do that? I know I have a bunch of artists I like at once and I just kinda rotate through them…

Music is what life sounds like.
~Eric Olson

check out my blog: http://www.online-music-courses.com

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm a bit like that, hear something I like play it over and over and then I'm done

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'm terrible for that. I don't lose interest forever, but have to take a loooong hiatus.
Presently running (spinning?) Roxy Music and Traffic into the ground... :oops:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I do that to a point also. I dont forget about it... just kinda lays back a bit for a wile. But ya... I drive the wife CRAZY becouse Ill listen to the same group of CD's OVER AND OVER!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I tend to stick on groups of songs and rotate new ones through so my play list evolves and revolves. I do have certain ones I have been listening to on a regular basis for 20 or 30 years though. :lol: Even if I obsess on a certain album, I don't abandon it after though. I go back to it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@volt-vixen)

I do this! Especially if it's a band I really like, I'll put a bunch of it on my ipod and listen to it along with other songs of the same genre I really like. Sometimes I'll go a couple weeks without listening to it, but then during that time, I just have one particular song stuck in my head and then the process starts all over again!! It's never ending really, but I don't mind. It'll come in handy when I want to learn songs by ear or whatever. :D

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I repeat the same CD's a lot...... not generally one though, I got the new Cribs album and I played it again and again - but that was because I was trying to get to know it and get familiar with it. I haven't listened to that a lot recently but I still want to - it's just I keep listening to other stuff.

All the stuff I listened to as a teen........ a lot of times (I had less CD's then so less choice). I hardly listen to that stuff anymore - but I am older and I want to listen to different things because I am in a different place. I will sometimes play that stuff and remember that I liked it a lot and I still do enjoy it.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
 guy1
(@guy1)
Topic starter  

I do that to a point also. I dont forget about it... just kinda lays back a bit for a wile. But ya... I drive the wife CRAZY becouse Ill listen to the same group of CD's OVER AND OVER!!!
reminds me of my little brother, drives me crazy sometimes too :lol:

Music is what life sounds like.
~Eric Olson

check out my blog: http://www.online-music-courses.com

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

reminds me of my little brother, drives me crazy sometimes too :lol:
LOL!!! yup. But you know....in the car Im driving and the driver has control over the musc playing. :D Ive been on a HUGE Chris Whitley kick thats lasted over a year now.... ya, so the wife knows most of his songs also, and the kids have there fav's allready. :D [walked into school to pick up my kids, and my oldest was sitting there humming "Big Sky Country" :D ]

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I do this too, except I usually come back to the album or band after a little while. Lately, I've been listening to different artists, but the same songs over and over because they are songs my cover band are playing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Most people do this. It's how the business-end of the music industry works. Hooks rule.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think I drove two ex-wives away with my incessant playing of Exiles On Main Street. With the third wife, I learned to compromise.... I had Exiles, she had the greatest hits of the Bee Ges, we'd put another CD on that we both liked tracks off, and put the CD player on "Random"....

She even bought me the re-mastered version of "Exiles" a couple of years or so back for my birthday....and I took her to an Abba tribute band for her birthday. I hate Abba....but seeing her face was worth the pain!

Compromise.....that's what life's about.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

From the outside, I suspect most of us appear to be this type of person. I for one will practice the same song or set of songs over and over and over again. I'm sure it appears to my wife in kids like I'm obsessing.

ReplyQuote
(@aristekrat)

I'm always trying to absorb at least a few records I've never heard before and that makes me repeat this pattern. It's hard squeezing in the older stuff when I'm exploring the new, and it's really hard squeezing in the ancient. Still got an appreciation for all the old stuff though.

My site: http://www.masspire.com Masspire - Independent Artists Websites. It's a place built to give independent artists a fair and free chance when they're just starting out, and that includes musicians.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

no, i try to put everything on my ipod and keep it in rotation. there was a month when all i had was two cd's, and i listened to those so much that i can barely even listen to them anymore, but i don't like doing that. i find that a song can have different meaning or importance at different points in my life, too.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2