Notifications
Clear all

prince as a guitarist

17 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@bhavin)
Topic starter  

hey guys. i wanted to get your opinion on prince as a guitarist. my friend keeps telling me how prince is a top 10 guitarist. i've listened to alot of princes guitaring and he is very good, however top 10 seems a bit extreme. i think he would do well to get into top 50. the fact that i havent found a single top 100 list that includes him strengthens my opinion. i think he is top 100 though. his perfoming is great, but musically and technically i dont think he should be top 10. what do you guys think. top 20? top 50? top 500?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, make sure to drop into the "meet and greet" forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

as to prince, it's like any other performer. it really only matters what you think personally.
all these polls about which guitarist, which album, which band, etc ,etc, etc, are just a waste of time imo.
personally i think he's a great guitarist, i don't think much of him by himself, but the few collaborations i've seen or heard of his performances were very good.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree totally with TwistedLefty. It becomes a pretty pointless argument because its all a matter of opinion.

Personally, I think Prince is one of the finest musicians ever. Terrific performer and can play the heck out of the guitar. But I dont think he would stand out much if ALL he did was play guitar.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think Prince is an awesome guitarist, but top 10, top 50, top 100 is just foolishness.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

no idea. never thought about it. but i LUV Prince.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I never thought of him as a guitarist as I was growing up, but I saw him recently - and read some articles on him - and he's got chops. He is one of those guys who doesn't care if you know he's great, he knows it.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

try this and see what you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ND7wSZj-L0

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

With some of his early stuff, it'd come on the radio and I'd think "Wow, this is good, who is it?" thinking it would be Richie Blackmore or someone like that; and when I found out it was Prince I'd go "Oh, right".

Personally, I think the Undecipherable Squiggle days were just dumb, and if he'd stuck to being Prince and making music he wouldn't be thought of as such a plonker. He gets respect from me, but I don't like that much of his stuff.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

He is one of those guys who doesn't care if you know he's great, he knows it.QFT! Incredably under-rated guitarist. I only really like a few things he's done, but I have a friend who is obsessed so I get to hear a lot of it. Even though I'm not really into it that much, he's right near the top of my list of respected musicians. He plays an almost rediculous amount of other instruments too apparently.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I have never been a very big Prince fan. I think I only liked 1 or 2 of his songs. But I would say he is a god musician and should be maybe in a top 250 list.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i was well impressed with his playing when he did purple rain at the grammys. He can play that's for sure.

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

try this and see what you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ND7wSZj-L0

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I didn't really know that much about prince that much until I got a book called "Learn to Play Like the Greats". The book wasn't that great for learning, but It had a lot of great information about all of the guitarists.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Just watched the video all the way through for the first time and WOW. He can really play. I still say that he wouldnt stand out as a guitarist cause I dont think he puts himself out there that way. I think his bread and butter is being a musician and performer. Doesnt matter what instrument.

IMHO
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I was a Prince fan during the Purple Rain days and he CAN play...how ever he is/was just SOOOO wack (as my students would say)! I put him in the category of Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, John Sykes (Whitesnake)...They are all EXCELENT EXCELLENY guitarists...but the difference between excellent and one of the GREATS is that the GREATS changed the face of music in some way or another...Clapton, Page, EVH, Rhoads, SRV, Angus, etc all left a perminent footmark in music...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2