Clear all

So... whats the catch??

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I went looking at some guitars last week and tried out two Epiphone SG's. I don't know if it was the SG or the amp, but I wasn't really impressed, the salesperson tried to convince that it was the amp and said that if I wanted to bring my amp in when I get it (should be a couple weeks) I could try some guitars out again: so that made me really happy and gave me new respect for the shop.

Anyways, the SG's and Les Paul's I was looking at were Epiphone SG's and Les Pauls: just basic standard models. I thought paying about $300 CND for the SG (or about $500 CND for a Les Paul) was a great deal until I saw these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-?sku=517336

or even for a bit more money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

Is it just me or is this some sort of an amazing deal? I heard that musiciansfriend and Guitar Centre have the same deals. If so, wouldn't it just be smarter to find a Guitar Centre and try some of these out? I mean, I'm sure Epiphone's are good but I've never seen a Gibson at this price. Anyways, I guess the reason I posted this was to see if anyone has tried these out and what they think of them, it just seems really hard to believe that they are that cheap.

Steve-0

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Look further down the page and you should find this thread. I think you're in luck. :)

Riff Raff buys a Gibson

Not available in Oz at that price, alas. :(

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oops :shock:

Thanks!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

No catch - $549 for a Gibson SG. That is my recommendation. I own one and they are very solid instruments with great electronics.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

That's my son's SG in the link that Chris_C posted. We're very happy with it. The pickups sound awesome played through my EVJ and my solid state Fender. When I try out a guitar in a store, I try to play with an amp like mine or at least close to it. When I bought the SG, the store happen to have a Fender amp like mine, so I knew how it would sound when I got it home.

There are a couple other people on this forum that own the SG. musica23 and Wes Inman come to mind. See Wes' post here.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, the reason i'm so shocked to see a Gibson SG, Flying V and Les Paul at those prices is because I've never seen a Gibson cheaper than $2,000 in a store. Looks like I'm going to make a trip to Guitar Centre this summer! I'm sure that Guitar Centre will have some EVJ's to play through (which is the amp I will be playing it through, if I buy one).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Alright everyone, here's a bit of an update:

I think I would like plan a trip to Guitar Center in Buffalo sometime this month but I also saw a nice Agile AL3000 on rondomusic and thought it was a pretty good deal (under $600 canadian, which covers the guitar, shipping and a hardshell case). So I thought that wouldn't be that bad of a deal, but then again I could pay roughly around the same price for Gibson SG or Gibson Flying V. I've heard good things about both guitars and my price range is under $1000, so all those guitars are under that price range and even the Gibson Les Paul.

So I guess I'm just wondering whether or not the Gibson is worth it when the Agile's are so much cheaper. I'm really just looking for a guitar that distorts well (can handle both AC-DC, SRV type overdrive, as well as Metallica shred style stuff). Gibson obviously has the reputation for being a quality guitar, but I've heard good things about Agile. The problem is that if I go to Guitar center than I won't be able to try out any Agile's, and if I buy an Agile, I can't try it out unless I planned an expensive trip out to where rondomusic.net is located.

So if anyone can help with any comparisons or additional comments on either instruments that would be great. I know I will eventually decide on something, I just like to really think alot before purchasing more expensive items.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Hey, I was just in that GC the other day! :) I'm from Buffalo, but was just there visiting.

I may only make your problem worse here, but I just thought I'd mention that they had a good selection of PRS guitars, including lots of new SEs (the "affordable" ones) and some used SEs. I just got a PRS Santana SE for $500 at a store closer to me and I love it dearly, but I wish my local store had the PRS selection that GC did! The Gibson Faded SG is really quite nice, though, it came down to that or the PRS for me in my recent quest.

Anyway, I know I'm not making your task any easier here, so I'm sorry about that :? I hope you're happy with whatever choice you end up making, though. Cheers,

EDIT: For the record, "good selection" of PRS doesn't mean like the rows of Strats you see in many guitar stores, but more PRS than the handful my local store had. GC had like half a dozen new SEs (both finishes of the SE Custom, yum), half a dozen higher end ones, and a couple used SEs.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I'm actually planning on trying out a number of guitars if or when I do go (the SG, Flying V, Les Paul, Ibanez Artcore, and now probably a PRS :lol: ). I think I've decided that I'll risk it and just go to GC, I'm sure the Agile's are nice, but I think I'd rather go and try out a nice guitar that I'm happy with at the store (I can try it out using a EVJ) and take it home and not have to worry about how it will sound, whereas if I buy the Agile I might not like the sound/body shape/finish etc. Thanks alot, I know what you mean about the selection problem: I live in Canada and everything at my local store is almost always overpriced or basically the same price it is at GC (when you factor in exchange rates and such), and they carry mostly only Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez' and B.C rich's (and Epiphone, Squier and any models or companies that are owned by Fender, Gibson, etc.)

At that store they actually have the Faded SG for $899 Canadian (which is about $845 canadian), so even though it'll be a bit more expensive because of the exchange rate, plus the duty costs, it will save me at least $100 buying it over the border, plus the selection at GC is just amazing (i've checked out their website)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Sounds like an exciting adventure :D ... Besides, it's worth the trip to hit Duff's for some real chicken wings, it's only a few miles down the road from Guitar Center 8)

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like an exciting adventure :D ... Besides, it's worth the trip to hit Duff's for some real chicken wings, it's only a few miles down the road from Guitar Center 8)

I'll make a note of that, I'm a big fan of food especially of the chicken wing variety :lol:

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Voidius, I was just thinking, do you know what taxes are like in Buffalo? I pay 14% sales tax here in Canada (well, it's 14% in Ontario, Canada), I'm just trying to figure out approxametly what it will cost me in Canadian funds (I know the exchange rate and roughly what I'll be charged through customs). Thanks.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Apparently sales tax is 8.75% now in Erie County (Googled to double check, thought it was 8.25% still). That's quite a break from 14%!

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, well in Ontario we have both Provincial taxes and Federal taxes, and I think Federal tax was reduced by 1% this so it's down from 15%, still quite a bit though!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'm going to make it even more difficult to decide, except for one thing. I have an Agile 2000 Natural colored Flame Maple top. It is beautiful and plays like a dream. The P-ups are pretty good on the 2000, but are supposed to be much better on the 3000. I also own a faded flying V by Gibson and yes, it is beautiful, also. And it is a "V" which I think looks really cool. If, big "IF", you were to ever sell a Gibson or Agile and you paid the exact same price for them, the Gibson would have a better re-sell value, due to the name. That said, you can get a really good Agile 3000 or 3100 for less than the Gibson, with a prettier and more durable finish. http://www.rondomusic.net/al4000natflame.html tell me this guitar is not pretty. A little more than the Faded Gibson, but a solid rocker, no doubt!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2