Skip to content
Who do you think is...

Notifications
Clear all

Who do you think is the greatest guitarist ever?

35 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I'm gonna say something that might get me thrown out of the wanna-be guitarists club, while I can agree that Hendrix was an amazing guitarist and is in the top 10 of best I've ever heard, I'm not a big fan of his music, it just does'nt grab me like other players do, now a few of his songs do, but not that many(I love Little Wing).

Please don't beat me too bad:)

This opinion my change if I explore is stuff more, which I will do at some point, other times when I tried I lost interest.

I like:

Page
SRV
BB King
Albert King
Clapton
Malcolm Young
Ry Cooder
Nieil Young
Brian May
Richard Dale
David Gilmore

I can't really narrow it down from there :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

omar rodriguez
spencer seim
jimi [duh]

if you dont know any of em. look em up.

heard of Jimi, but not the other two guys - kind of proves my point, really.....the fact that someone rates them so highly, yet - to me, anyway - they're total unknowns.....

Can I just go on record as saying I don't like about 95% of Jimi's material? Hey Joe, Wind Cries Mary, All Along the Watchtower and Little Wing I love......but just because I don't particularly care for most of his recorded output doesn't mean I can't appreciate what a huge influence he was, or what a superb guitarist and great showman.....but hey, that's just one guy's opinion, and like all opinions, is totally subjective....

And as for the boxing thing.....would Ali have been able to cope with Tyson, or Rocky Marciano's all-action style, given that they were at their peak? What about boxers from different weights? Although I'd never argue with anyone who said Ali was the most popular boxer of all time....

Back to music - unless someone comes up with a way to measure talent on a scale.....taking into account Creativity, technical ability, emotional response, image (yes, it's important....) influence on other musicians, etc, etc, etc, this is one question that'll never be answered....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Best guitarists? ok Django Reindhart, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Joe Mc Laughlin, Paco de Lucia in the jazz (and world music) section.
Blues: The three kings :BB ,Albert and Freddy,SRVaughan, Robert Cray.
Rock: Frank Zappa, Richard Thompson (you have to hear him guys),David Gilmour,Jimi Hendrix,Robert Fripp,Steve Hackett,Brian May,Tom Verlaine,Neil Young.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When I look at my album collection I notice that I have just about everthing that Pat Metheny and Al DiMeola have released.

When I watch videos of SRV my jaw just drops open in awe.

And though I have only heard 9 songs of one CD the work of Gabriela Quintero of rodrigo y gabriela has blown me away unlike all the other neuvo flamingo players. My ultimate goal, right now :? , is to do half of what she does.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Can I just go on record as saying I don't like about 95% of Jimi's material? Hey Joe, Wind Cries Mary, All Along the Watchtower and Little Wing I love......but just because I don't particularly care for most of his recorded output doesn't mean I can't appreciate what a huge influence he was, or what a superb guitarist and great showman.....but hey, that's just one guy's opinion, and like all opinions, is totally subjective....
Yea man, it's all about taste in music when it comes to actually liking the music, but even if you don't like it, you still should appreciate it(like you do). I'm not really sure what kind of music you like, but judging by the bluesy type songs you pointed out I'm sure you'd love some of his post-humous albums. And hopefully Black Gold comes out soon. :)
And as for the boxing thing.....would Ali have been able to cope with Tyson, or Rocky Marciano's all-action style, given that they were at their peak? What about boxers from different weights? Although I'd never argue with anyone who said Ali was the most popular boxer of all time....
Tyson fought nothing but a bunch of bumbs and has-beens. Marciano...love that guy, since I live near the town he was born, but Ali was always the smarest guy in the ring. And he fought in the time boxing was at it's best (Liston, Foreman, Frazier, etc, etc). I think it's tough to compare boxers from different eras though, more so than music.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Tyson fought nothing but a bunch of bumbs and has-beens. Marciano...love that guy, since I live near the town he was born, but Ali was always the smarest guy in the ring. And he fought in the time boxing was at it's best (Liston, Foreman, Frazier, etc, etc). I think it's tough to compare boxers from different eras though, more so than music."

Yep, Ali was the smartest boxer of all time..he started boxing after Rocky M had retired....mind you, he'd have been about 13-14 when Rocky was at his peak....

Would've made a great fight though! Ali at his peak fighting Marciano at his best? Too close to call, for me.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

gotta agree with you guys on tyson, the only great fighter he fought, he got his brains beat out.
and that was holyfield, speaking of rocky, have you guys seen rocky balboa yet ? its
great, marcie cried through the whole movie lol

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

speaking of rocky, have you guys seen rocky balboa yet ? its
The only real miss was using Tyson in the cameo instead of Mr. T's Clubber Lang. Rumor says both Mr T and Carl Weathers asked for too much money so they were not shown in the memory flash scenes. Just the back of Apollo Creed and not much of Rocky regaining his belt versus Lang.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

gotta agree with you guys on tyson, the only great fighter he fought, he got his brains beat out.
and that was holyfield, speaking of rocky, have you guys seen rocky balboa yet ? its

Tyson was just a street thug. Ali would have whipped his butt all the way back to the housing projects. Neither of them played the guitar AFAIK.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

speaking of rocky, have you guys seen rocky balboa yet ? its
The only real miss was using Tyson in the cameo instead of Mr. T's Clubber Lang. Rumor says both Mr T and Carl Weathers asked for too much money so they were not shown in the memory flash scenes. Just the back of Apollo Creed and not much of Rocky regaining his belt versus Lang.
Yea, I heard the same thing. Oh well, it was funny seeing Tyson there in the movie.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Without him, music wouldn't be the same as it is today

Jimi's influence exists only across limited genres and only as it relates to guitar.

Andres Segovia, Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt and others have influence that extends far further, with influence extending to solo ideas for horns and keyboards, as well as compositional ideas etc.

Don't get me wrong, Hendrix is an important guitarist in the blues/rock genre. Although many will argue that he wasn't doing anything new or particularly innovative, as guys like Jeff Beck were doing it pretty much everything Jimi was doing before Jimi did it.

But if you want to tag someone with "the greatest guitarist ever" label, then in my mind they better have something to say across the whole world of guitar players. You can find Django solo ideas being used everywhere from Flamenco guitarists to Hawaiian Steel String players to current indie rock players.

That said, I personally find the whole idea ludicrous. Django was great at what he did, but he couldn't hold a candle to Segovia doing straight classical work. Segovia was amazing, but Joe Pass kicks his ass doing jazz chord melody improv, and Joe Pass was great, but if you want a '60s guitar rock solo then Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, Page and others are better choices, and while all those guys are great, they really don't hold a candle to Django when it comes to doing a melodic swing solo . . .

"Greatest ever?"

Please, give us a break! It's impossible to even agree on the greatest within a single genre at a given time, let alone across all genres and all times. But it is pretty easy to show that given such an expansive target, Jimi falls pretty short. His influence is just too narrow.

As for boxers -- forget that heavy weight stuff .. only Ali came close to being a boxer in his career . . . those guys have next to no footwork or tactics. For great boxing, you have to look to the middleweights, power, speed and grace all in equal proportion. Sugar Ray Robinson baby! Heck, even Ali claimed that while he was the greatest Heavyweight, the Sugar Ray was the greatest fighter.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

+1 KP.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm gonna reserve my reply when it comes to melodic music until "Black Gold" comes out by (Hendrix album). There, we'll be able to see what Hendrix was all about on acoustic. I still believe Hendrix is the most influential, as times have changed.
As for boxers -- forget that heavy weight stuff .. only Ali came close to being a boxer in his career . . . those guys have next to no footwork or tactics. For great boxing, you have to look to the middleweights, power, speed and grace all in equal proportion. Sugar Ray Robinson baby! Heck, even Ali claimed that while he was the greatest Heavyweight, the Sugar Ray was the greatest fighter.
Lol at Middleweights. Sugar Ray Robinson, IMO is the 2nd best boxer of all time. But I don't really think there are many other guys that could compete with Ali. Someone like Marvin Hagler (very underrated), would destroy someone like Mike Tyson, but that's just me. Joe Frazier, George Foreman, they had no footwork, but they had speed and power. Ali had grace, power, speed, footwork, tactics, he was like a middleweight in a heavyweights body.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

hagler was awsome, and ray lenard lost that fight, i remember how ticked i was over that one :evil:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

hagler was awsome, and ray lenard lost that fight, i remember how ticked i was over that one :evil:
lol yea seriously. I wish I lived during those times. Boxing, music...life was so much more free during those days, ahh well. I'll live. ;)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3