Jamey Andreas' Principles book?

26 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
19.9 K Views
(@laoch)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I thought someone had promised to write a review of Jamey's "Principles of Correct Guitar Practice" a while back.  Not sure if it was on the guitar players discussion board but I don't remember ever seeing a review.  Lots of glowing praise on Jamey's website but I was hoping to hear a review from someone here.  I did look into ordering the book - price seemed a little high but it would be worth it if it lives up to the hype.  The shipping and handling seemed rather excessive though and put me off.  Anyone here have the book and care to share their thoughts?  How about his more recent book: "The Path ..." ?
Thanks

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

(@alangreen)

Jazzarati has the original Principles book and I was banging on at him for a review. Give him time, and I'm sure we will all benefit.

Alan :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

A review would be good for sure.  I'll attest the first book was well worth the $30.  Why?  It makes you think about your playing in a very miniscule way.  What affects what and why.  The book is the price of a dinner or couple of movies.  I look at how it makes your become aware of your physical movements and (at least for me) enhanced my learning new motions by analyzing stuff slowly.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

Funny thing about that review. I sent that in quite awhile ago but never heard back, I guess it must have got lost somewhere along the way (no blaming anyone) I'll just dig it up again.

Anything in particular you want me to comment about it? To dispel or enforce any sort of hype?

Just quickly for anyone browsing here the book is what is says it is. It is the principles to correct guitar pratice. It is a methology for learning guitar. It is a tool to help you if you embrace it but as it states numerous times in it. You have to really use it if you want to see any results. So basically it is a way of thinking. The exercises in it are to enhance you in your ability to recognize what you are doing right and wrong. Basically you are given 'enlightment' dare I say.

Also I strongly recommend you subscribe to his newsletter, it's like an essay on a topic every week, very beneficial. I just wish he had an archive for them.

Work for perfection everyday, everyday you will get closer

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Most of what Jamey thinks makes its way to the philosphy and essays sections on his site.

Jazz - I'll e-mail you with the list of Back Issues I have from Jamey. I think it goes back to this time last year but I'll have to check how much survived the hard-drive crash in March.

Best,

A :-)

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Jazzerati

I'd still be interested in your review.  I'll probably get the book at some point in any case.  I do get Jamey's newsletters.  It sounds like his book will tackle a lot of the mechanical issues (ie. hand, finger, muscle use & positioning) not covered extensively elsewhere.  I haven't come across any "bad" learning resources.  As with any book (or video, etc), it will be a matter of whether or not I take the time to make use of it.
Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

Thanks Alan,

I found the old review and I'm just updating it with tidbits, unfortunately this is making it a little disjointed so I'm gonne have to re-arrange it which might take a little time.

The book entails the basics of movement but the key is to give you the tools to discover the right movements for yourself.

A lot of the book is on the site.

The book doesn't give much to pick-style beyond the flat basics. There is a player/teacher on the site who seems to be very developed and anyone is releasing a DVD on picking relatively soon (From weeks to months). It will be something I will be ordering and will probably write a review if I see fit.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I read parts of it somewhere, and it really helped me. I think it was here.

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

I though I may aswell put a link to the review that I put on this site so people can find it when they read this thread.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/reviews/principles-of-correct-practice-for-guitar/

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Jazz

Have you read Jamey's second book (The Path...) as well?  Just curious if you recommend that as well.  I am going to order "The Principles.." and was thinking of ordering the other book while I'm at.
Thanks,

Ed

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

I do not have that book.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There are two DVD's out now - anybody got those yet?

A :-)

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

nope, I've been deciding between the second DVD and Ney's right hand DVD coming very soon. I think I'll be choosing Ney's.

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I finally purchased Jamey's Guitar Priciples book as well as his 2nd book.  Haven't fully read them all yet nor put the principles into practice but I agree with Jazzerati's review.  I like what is in the books and plan to start incorporating his principles into my practice.
The shipping did seem a little high to me but they did get me the books extremely quickly.  
The DVD sounds interesting but I'll hold off on spending the money on that for now.

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

What do you think of paths?  I am currently working on implementing the principles in my practice session, but I have only embarked on this recently (last week was the first week).  Don't know yet what to think.  The advice in it does not appear to be bad by any stretch, and many of the concepts I have heard from teachers or read in other books, so it appears to be sound advice.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2