Which mic?

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have an opportunity to possibly be the lead vocalist/rhythm guitar in a start up band. Which mic is suggested to get the most professional sound for a decent price? I was looking at the Shure SM57. Any other equipment suggestions? I will be using my Behringer ACX1000 acoustic amp for sound.. It has some effects but not sure if I should get an echo pedal or not.

Thanks
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I use a Shure 58A Beta for vocals and I love it! It's the best vocal mic I've ever used!

You can check it out here........ http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUBETA58A

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Oh! And, don't believe the 51% markdown. They generally only run around $150!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Check out the SM58. It's a great "live" microphone.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Check out the SM58. It's a great "live" microphone.

While the SM 57 is a great microphone ( It can do it all) I would go along with mike. The SM 58 was designed for vocals. Actually its the same as the 57 except the ball it is round at the end giving it a better low end response for voice 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Why not checkout the Behringer XM8500 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone?sku=270490&src ="3SOSWXXA"
Its decent dynamic vocal mic ( a SM58 copy) for a very good price.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Why not checkout the Behringer XM8500 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone?sku=270490&src ="3SOSWXXA"
Its decent dynamic vocal mic ( a SM58 copy) for a very good price.

i agree. i think you can get 3 of them packaged for less than one Shure, and they're built like a tank.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Try out the Senheiser E835. I have experience with them, and they're great mics. I believe they're under $100, and come with something like a 10 year warranty.

ReplyQuote
 Faza
(@faza)
Eminent Member

From my experience, the Shure mikes have a more clearly defined "character" - in that they colour the sound more - than the Sennheisers. The Sennheisers are fairly neutral in their sound, except for a slight boost in the midrange - around 1-3 kHz if I remember correctly - which makes them well suited for conveying speech. The choice between them is a matter of personal taste - my vocalist has recently stated that she prefers to sing through a bottom-end Shure (the C606 - assembled in Mexico out of Chinese components) than the Sennheiser E835 (which is a very decent microphone - comparable to the Shure SM58), precisely because she found the Sennheiser to be too transparent.

My recommendation would be to go into a music store and check out several models from different manufacturers in approximately the same price range. Companies definitely worth checking out are Shure, Sennheiser, AKG and ElectroVoice.

Viridian on MySpace

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Try out the Senheiser E835. I have experience with them, and they're great mics. I believe they're under $100, and come with something like a 10 year warranty.

Thanks for the suggestions. I end up getting the quoted mic. Mostly cause I realized that I, in the end, wouldnt just be buying one. So I asked GC if they had the Behringer and when they didnt I bought the Senheiser. But its sounds terrific. Only thing is I wish it had an on off switch.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, i don't really know why, but only the lower-end mics seem to have on-off switches.

ReplyQuote
 Faza
(@faza)
Eminent Member

Not necessarily. Mid-level mikes like the e835 and the SM58 are available either equipped with switches or without them. The lack of an on-off switch is actually a matter of convenience for professional uses: if the soundman can simply mute the mike on the board, the switch is not only redundant, but also a possible source of problems - someone might forget to switch the mike on or the singer might accidentally switch it off in the middle of a song.

Viridian on MySpace

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Only thing is I wish it had an on off switch.

Geoo
Mics with switches are the bane of the soundguy's existance.
They tend to get accidentilly switched off due to random handling, then get turned back on when the mic is pointed directly at a monitor, or something else loud (usually when the sound guy is soloing the mic on headphones trying to figure out why the mic stopped working) .

You may notice that switches are mostly a "feature" of lower end mics. There's a reason for that.

If you really want a switch, you can get a cable with a switched XLR connector (Neutrik and Switchcraft both have XLR female connectors with built-in switches).

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Mics with switches are the bane of the soundguy's existance.

Thanks for the info. :) I have only looked at it from a singers point of view. I guess a good sound guy should know when to turn it on and off too so I dont end up looking like a fool talking/singing into something that isnt on?

I have been getting used to it. Probably will purchase the same or similar mics in the future.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2