Skip to content
Rocky Mountain Way ...

Notifications
Clear all

Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh - open G or open E?

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
21.9 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Listening to the song, sounds like it's done in open G tuning - but the song seems to be in E - I was trying to jam along with the slide solos and riffs, found them fairly easy in open G - but the bassline seems to be done in standard tuning, a lot of E A and D root notes in there....

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm sure I saw a tab for this song and it was done in open E - but to me it sounds better (and it's easier!) in open G......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I believe Joe Walsh does most of his sliding in standard tuning, but I'm not sure about this one, long time since I heard it..

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I thought Joe was an Open E guy. He certainly uses a lot of the usual open E slide riffs in that song.

There's another guitar in there.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ask and you shall receive!

I mentioned this to a friend over the weekend, he said "hey, I've got a tab for that...." - he scanned it for me, printed it out and brought it round......

Ricochet, you're right - there is more than one guitar, there are three! And the lead (slide) IS in open E.....

He also scanned out a lesson and some riffs, fills and tricks in open E.....written by Derek Trucks!

darn, just as I was getting used to open G......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool!

Derek Trucks seems to know his way around an Open E fretboard fairly well. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That he does, I'm just trying a few of them out now - un-amplified electric of course, it's just gone midnight here....can't wait to try them plugged in tomorrow!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Really fun stuff! :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As a side note, I found out where I've been going wrong when I've tuned to open E before....

I've always tuned to (low to high) E Ab E Ab B E.......
whereas Derek Trucks uses this....E B E Ab B E.......

I didn't think it would make much difference, but I couldn't understand why some of the bass notes in the lesson sounded "off" - now I know, I was 3 semitones flat!!!

So another valuable lesson learned - ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TUNING!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yup, for many years I knew one G tuning, DGDGBD, the one I think Keef uses a lot. I was into the Stones a lot so it matched. That and the open E (or D in my case), which is like an open E 'shape'. I also used an open C (sorta) which is the 6th string down to C and the 5th down to G and the rest standard. But now, having gone into lap steel, I find all these other G tunings and whatnot. Like dobro G (GBDGBD) which I never knew about, and a bunch of others. Even the A6 tuning I'm using on steel, it's not what most people call an A6 - I just took a C6 and lowered everything.

So yah, one or two strings being diffferent make a thing either playable or you gotta do some weird slants or position shifts to get it. Lots of times though, the guy you're listening to will pick or strum all the strings in a 12th fret harmonic and you can then go ahead and 'steal' his tuning - or at least check it against what you have ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's an interesting Open E variation you came up with Vic. I've never seen that one before. Derek's version is the usual.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I used that tuning because I didn't know the standard open E tuning....I figured for an E chord, I'd need all the strings tuning to either E, Ab or B...it seemed easier to tune the A string down 1/2 a step than up a full step. It sounded OK for open chords, but not powerchords...

With hindsight, I should have realised that the bottom two strings - tuned my way - give you the 1st and 3rd of the scale - the proper (D. Trucks) tuning gives you the 1st and 5th....

Ah well, what I knew then about music theory could have been written on the back of a postage stamp with a 6-inch brush!

On another point that's arisen from this post - Demoetc mentioned C6 and A6 tunings - I know Smokindog also uses C6 tuning on his pedal steel....

If you're tuning to C6 - C(root) E(3rd) G(5th) A(6th) isn't it the same as tuning to Am7 - A(root) C(flattened 3rd) E(5th) G(flattened 7th)? Or does the particular voicing dictate how the tuning is named?

And purely to satisfy my curiosity - what's the reason for tuning to, say, C6? Just remembered - Smokindog mentioned that the C6 tuning he used wouldn't be suitable for guitar, I think he said it would put too much tension on the neck. So is it just a lap steel tuning? Or could it be adapted for guitar?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And purely to satisfy my curiosity - what's the reason for tuning to, say, C6? Just remembered - Smokindog mentioned that the C6 tuning he used wouldn't be suitable for guitar, I think he said it would put too much tension on the neck. So is it just a lap steel tuning? Or could it be adapted for guitar?Others can tell you a lot more about it than I, but I do know that with sixth chord tunings you have a major and a minor triad at each fret.

I think you'd often have to use custom string gauge sets to play in those tunings on your guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

The standard C6 tuning is (low to high) CEGACE, so I guess you can call it an Am7 if you insist... :wink:

There are two major advantages with it (and any "6th" tuning,- A) the closer intervals between the strings makes playing fast melodies and solos easier, and B) you have 'instant access' to more triads and harmonies than with a major-chord tuning.

Personally I wouldn't use it for bottleneck slide, not because of the string tension (you'd just need to adjust the gauges to the tuning), but because I would combine sliding and fretting to achieve some of the same results. Plus there's something very "Hawaiian" about those tunings that I feel are better suited for lap steel,- I want a 'rougher' sound from my bottleneck sliding, but I'm sure someone would find it useful.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

re - C6 or Am7 - what I was getting at, is it called C6 rather than Am7 because the root C of the C6 chord is on the bottom string?

It's certainly an interesting tuning....like you both said, a majorCEG) and a minor(ACE) triad at the same fret.....

I can imagine some nice chord voicings - like for example, Am - xx2000, you'd get a nice drone effect with the 3rd and fourth strings playing the same note....

If you tried this on an acoustic, would you use heavier gauge strings? Seems to me you'd have to tune everything down - some a LONG way!.....

You've really got me interested now!

Thanks guys....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm, I was thinking of tuning up with lighter strings...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2